Good News / Good Progress towards back to Cruising....

NavyCruiser

I am confused.  When I saw the subject of this thread "Good Progress back to cruising" I eagerly scrolled through the posts looking for the good progress.  But when I reached the end of the thread I was still looking for anything that would show good progress.  Nothing.....Nada,,,,,,Blanco.

As a veteran I did find some positive info on the VA's programs to vaccinate vets.  But again,. I have no idea what this has to do with cruising.

Hank

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

I am confused.  When I saw the subject of this thread "Good Progress back to cruising" I eagerly scrolled through the posts looking for the good progress.  But when I reached the end of the thread I was still looking for anything that would show good progress.  Nothing.....Nada,,,,,,Blanco.

As a veteran I did find some positive info on the VA's programs to vaccinate vets.  But again,. I have no idea what this has to do with cruising.

Hank

I think it's called clutching at straws, just trying to find anything that could be interpreted as positive. Just like in another thread in this same forum people somehow think their Alaska cruises are still going to sail.

On 2/24/2021 at 8:22 PM, ontheweb said:

I think it's called clutching at straws, just trying to find anything that could be interpreted as positive. Just like in another thread in this same forum people somehow think their Alaska cruises are still going to sail.

I don't think it is clutching at straws.  The new media mantra that started this morning is "The US may be getting covid under control". Just watch, the Ides of March, just watch.   Rumor is Texas is about to lift all restrictions. Why not the federal government is about to release 25000 untested immigrants at the Texas border.  

• Like 3

I’m in the volunteer trials for the Astro  Z  vaccine AND got the Moderna vaccine (the Astro Z folks said it was fine for me to get the “real” vaccine...just let them know; they unblinded me after I did notify them).

No side-effects from any of the four injections...guess I was lucky ?

• Like 1

On 2/22/2021 at 1:57 PM, Mary229 said:

Thanks for the update.   I just want to put this out there.  I had minimal side effects from the first dose.   The second dose has been quite trying for me.  DH is just fine.   Just make sure you clear your calendar for the next day and go directly home after being vaccinated.  My reaction this morning from yesterday’s vaccine was dramatic.   I was heading out the door for our daily urban hike at 7:30 am.  My jacket is still laying on the floor where I dropped it. These side effects I am experiencing are reported within the normal range but please do go directly home after being vaccinated 

I haven’t had this vaccine yet, but your experience is exactly like my reaction to the Shingles vaccine. First jab,  no problem but a sore arm. Second jab was like being hit by a truck. I was out flat for 24 hours, then just as suddenly everything was fine again.

• Like 2

More Good News/Progress towards cruising again: 

1. Governor Abbott Lifts Mask Mandate, Opens Texas 100 Percent:

https://gov.texas.gov/news/post/governor-abbott-lifts-mask-mandate-opens-texas-100-percent

2.  Register for COVID-19 Vaccine | Harris County Public Health. (HOUSTON)  This vaccine can be provided to individuals 18+ years of age. (Note that individuals vaccinated at the NRG Park site will receive the Pfizer vaccine. Learn more ...

https://publichealth.harriscountytx.gov/Resources/2019-Novel-Coronavirus/Register-for-COVID-19-Vaccine

3.  Royal Caribbean will offer 'fully vaccinated' cruise with sailings starting in Israel,  in May

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2021/03/01/royal-caribbean-offer-fully-vaccinated-sailing-new-cruise-ship/6871142002/

• Like 6

5 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

https://gov.texas.gov/news/post/governor-abbott-lifts-mask-mandate-opens-texas-100-percent

Sorry, but I do not consider this good news.  My sympathies to the medical profession in Texas who will be overrun with cases.  It’s too soon to remove mask mandates until enough have been vaccinated.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Yes, let's lift restrictions just in time for Spring Break, because we know those "breakers" are always the most conscientious and careful partiers out there, right? ☹️

I'm fully vaccinated now (Pfizer; 2nd shot was no worse than 1st - nothing but a slightly-sore arm for a couple of days).  I'm going to continue to be just as careful and cautious as I've been for the past year.  I'm not going to expose myself to those who aren't being careful and cautious.  I'd be highly annoyed if after all this I still got sick and died thanks to someone else's carelessness.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NCTribeFan said:

Yes, let's lift restrictions just in time for Spring Break, because we know those "breakers" are always the most conscientious and careful partiers out there, right? ☹️

I'm fully vaccinated now (Pfizer; 2nd shot was no worse than 1st - nothing but a slightly-sore arm for a couple of days).  I'm going to continue to be just as careful and cautious as I've been for the past year.  I'm not going to expose myself to those who aren't being careful and cautious.  I'd be highly annoyed if after all this I still got sick and died thanks to someone else's carelessness.

Remember that Spring Break is a big event in South Texas - LOTS of money involved!

Also, due to huge power outage in Texas, one can expect a significant increase in Covid cases - that happened in Oklahoma about 6 weeks ago.

17 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

I do not consider this to be good news.  Instead it may be a sign that things will take much longer.  Instead of everyone following the recommendations to wear masks and distance, we may now be moving into a period where more are ignoring those protections.  At a time where we are just starting to get vaccinations going. At a time where infections are down from the peak, but appear to be leveling off at twice the level of the peak last August.  At a time when new, more infectious strains are spreading in the US.

It would be better news if everyone agreed to wear a mask, to distance, anytime they are in public and not solely in company of people that are fully vaccinated.  Then once the numbers actually show that there is minimal spread of the virus actually relax the procedures at that time.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I do not welcome this no mask change at all in Texas.   I was in a high end appliance store on Saturday where a family came in proudly without masks and I quickly walked out.   

This pandemic could still have a very long way to go.  Many employers are mandating that their employees work from home and come into the office only if absolutely necessary.   

Even homebuilders in the Austin area will allow visits to model homes by appointment only.

This act by Abbot is entirely premature.  I am not part of the liberal Austin crowd.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 2/23/2021 at 10:49 AM, Mary229 said:

It was not pleasant but I am fully recovered.  I have never had any reaction to a vaccine in the past.  Of all of the people I know who have been vaccinated only myself and my two sisters have reported what I would call severe symptoms. Someone would say that is good as it demonstrates your body is mounting an immune response - I am not so sure of that 

Just remember that you are not really sick from a vaccine; it is just your body pretending to be sick.  The shingles vaccine has a pretty good kick as well, but it sure beats getting a bad case of shingles. 

I am vaccinated against COVID and am now resuming my business travel.   A vaccine is definitely worth a day of discomfort.  Don't fear the vaccine more than the disease ....

igraf

• Like 6

On 3/3/2021 at 1:28 AM, NavyCruiser said:

2.  Register for COVID-19 Vaccine | Harris County Public Health. (HOUSTON)  This vaccine can be provided to individuals 18+ years of age. (Note that individuals vaccinated at the NRG Park site will receive the Pfizer vaccine. Learn more ...

https://publichealth.harriscountytx.gov/Resources/2019-Novel-Coronavirus/Register-for-COVID-19-Vaccine

3.  Royal Caribbean will offer 'fully vaccinated' cruise with sailings starting in Israel,  in May

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2021/03/01/royal-caribbean-offer-fully-vaccinated-sailing-new-cruise-ship/6871142002/

I actually believe this to be good news.  It doesn’t prohibit anyone from wearing a mask if they feel it appropriate to do.  I would honor any stores mask policy when I need to shop.  I do not see the need to wear a mask when taking a walk with no one near me.  More states should follow.

There are many that would consider our desire to cruise reckless.  The lockdowns started as two weeks to flatten the curve, we are approaching one year since this reasonable request was made.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

I actually believe this to be good news.  It doesn’t prohibit anyone from wearing a mask if they feel it appropriate to do.  I would honor any stores mask policy when I need to shop.  I do not see the need to wear a mask when taking a walk with no one near me.  More states should follow.

There are many that would consider our desire to cruise reckless.  The lockdowns started as two weeks to flatten the curve, we are approaching one year since this reasonable request was made.

Let's see how it works out with masks no longer mandatory but local businesses wanting to continue with them to protect their staff and other customers.  There are enough issues with anti-maskers right now.

• Like 8

It doesn’t prohibit anyone from wearing a mask if they feel it appropriate to do.

THAT is precisely how the virus is spread. 

Wearing a mask doesn't prevent me from GETTING the virus so much as it prevents me from GIVING the virus to others. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

The lockdowns started as two weeks to flatten the curve, we are approaching one year since this reasonable request was made.

Unfortunately, COVID did not disappear after two weeks!  The original two week lockdown request was an extreme case of sugar-coating the truth.  BTW, flattening the curve means that the disease is still running rampant; it only buys time for the vaccines to be developed.

igraf

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, igraf said:

Unfortunately, COVID did not disappear after two weeks!  The original two week lockdown request was an extreme case of sugar-coating the truth.  BTW, flattening the curve means that the disease is still running rampant; it only buys time for the vaccines to be developed.

igraf

Covid was never expected to end in two weeks.  The initial lockdowns were to give hospitals a chance to get prepared and not become overwhelmed.  We accomplished that goal awhile back.

we both live in some of the most restrictive states and our numbers are about the same as those states that are allowing citizens to move about freely.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Yea relying on individuals judgement has worked well so far 🙄.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

The initial lockdowns were to give hospitals a chance to get prepared and not become overwhelmed.  We accomplished that goal awhile back.

That is simply not true, unless you mean hospitals getting prepared for a catastrophe.  Hospitals were overwhelmed to the breaking point by the December/January surge, which of course was caused by the relaxed holiday activities.

igraf

• Like 2

1 hour ago, igraf said:

BTW, flattening the curve means that the disease is still running rampant; it only buys time for the vaccines to be developed.

Right! The Scandinavian bubble is doing well. What's their magic formula? Do they have a fairy god mother to grant wishes?

1 hour ago, Crazy For Cats said:

we both live in some of the most restrictive states and our numbers are about the same as those states that are allowing citizens to move about freely.

Do you have the numbers to back this up? Last I looked, Hawaii has consistently had the lowest positivity rate and the strictest entry requirement. 

Anyway, I expect that Texas etc will set back cruising from the States, perhaps indefinitely.

https://www.statesman.com/story/news/2021/03/01/travis-county-leads-texas-covid-vaccine-acceptance/6813574002/

Edited by HappyInVan
  • Like 1

I am scratching my head wondering why on earth anyone would think that opening up the economy without restrictions  is 'good progress towards back to cruising'  Or good for anything other than perhaps a few fleeting bumps in a politician's poll numbers.

Nothing could be further from reality.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 5

The truth is  more vaccine production  . Regardless of how many people have been vaccinated  , the production is still behind the curve instead of in front of the curve  . We are 82 each  here in San Diego county ,Calif & still can not get our injections ,checking daily . It may take the medical insurance company to get us our shots .Even though CVS was supposed to have the shots at certain locations in Calif ,we can  never find any of those locations as well 

Imo masks are saving lives  until enough of us are vaccinated  to get herd immunization 

A few points about the Texas action

1. it is tied to an hospitalization rate.  

2. It allows local communities to adjust if the hospitalization benchmark changes to the worse .  Remember Texas has a county with fewer than 300 people total and that is a large county.  

3.  It does not say "Not to wear a mask", it says it is not mandated to wear a mask.  

4.  The Federal Government is now allowing in up to 25000 immigrants into Texas who have not been tested for Covid and with no tracking of those individuals.  I have to scratch my head when a government has strict regulations for people coming in from UK on an airline and no regulation for those coming in by foot from unverified locations

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

4.  The Federal Government is now allowing in up to 25000 immigrants into Texas who have not been tested for Covid and with no tracking of those individuals.  I have to scratch my head when a government has strict regulations for people coming in from UK on an airline and no regulation for those coming in by foot from unverified locations

Actually, do you have a source for this claim?

If true, wouldn't that make masking/distancing in public, even more important?