Pools on cruise ships

sjde

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I think every ship carrying more than 1,000 passengers has an indoor or covered pool.

Not even close.  As a simple example, after Princess build their first two Grand Class ships (Grand and Golden) they stopped putting covered pools on their new builds.  So all the remainder of the the Grand Class and the newer Royal Class have no covered/indoor pools.  And we are talking ships that carry 3000+ passengers.

Hank

39 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Not even close.  As a simple example, after Princess build their first two Grand Class ships (Grand and Golden) they stopped putting covered pools on their new builds.  So all the remainder of the the Grand Class and the newer Royal Class have no covered/indoor pools.  And we are talking ships that carry 3000+ passengers.

Hank

I was incorrect - of course, I have no interest in the Disney approach — or in any ship carrying anywhere near 3000 passengers.   My bad!

29 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I was incorrect - of course, I have no interest in the Disney approach — or in any ship carrying anywhere near 3000 passengers.   My bad!

My goodness you are anything but bad (we will excuse the Navy part) :).  DW and and I are in your camp with our preference of smaller ships (we have cruised on as small as 20 passenger).   If circumstances and itineraries permit we would never be on anything larger then 800 passenger and prefer less then 500.   I specifically mentioned those big Princess ships because we have been on most of them and I have found it disappointing that Princess eliminated covered pools from their newer ships.   I have no clue how there can ever be anything close to social distancing on the monster ships since elevators are a necessity when you have 16-18 decks.

Hank  

18 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I have no clue how there can ever be anything close to social distancing on the monster ships since elevators are a necessity when you have 16-18 decks.

The lines go up the staircases. 😁

Edited by broberts

48 minutes ago, broberts said:

The lines go up the staircases. 😁

ROFL.   I think we have been on different cruises.  I am used to hearing folks whining about how far they have to walk from their cabin to dinner or an elevator.  Steps?  Not on your life.  DW and I try to use the steps as often as possible (but we are ONLY in our 70s) as we see many younger folks waiting a long tine for an elevator.  But if all honesty there are many on cruises that cannot possibly walk up 5 decks (much less 10).  On the other hand, when I see a wheelchair or scooter waiting for a long time to get an elevator when young folks are using elevators to go down one deck...it is a little sad.

Hank

• Like 2

Wow Covered pools... then armed forces.... then small and large ships......

water surrounded by more water.(.pool on ship )  great to watch in rough weather before they drain it.

Pools on Ship covered or not....   do you go swimming if it cold.. if so it should matter if it is in or out...

Ever been in a ship's pool or spa as don't wish to be harpooned... also  might scare some people...lol

Best way to find out is look at the deck plan  of the ship you are thinking of cruising on....

Don

1 hour ago, sjde said:

I had no idea there were so many. If I had to narrow it down I'd say Princess, RCCL and HAL. 

Not much narrowing. The three lines have around 55 ships.

Royal Caribbean Oasis, Quantum, Vision, and Radiance class ships have indoor or indoor/outdoor Solarium pools.

Edited by broberts

Someone mentioned covered pools in the Solarium on RCCL. Which leads me to ask-are most covered /indoor pools in an adults-only area? I am wanting something for kids too; thinking ahead to an Alaskan cruise.