Why all 3 Freedom Class on 3/4 nighters?

Not at all happy reading the deployment schedules. As a European, I feel like it's a major slap in the face that all ships in the class are to be assigned to a specific market which is inaccessible for anyone from abroad to travel to. Indy was the ship that got me into cruising back when she was in Southampton. Been a few years but I was hoping to sail either her or one of her sisters in the not too distant future. No chance of it ever again by the sounds of it.

Sure, it's profitable but could they not have had one in PC, one in Miami and the other doing longer itineraries somewhere? (even if in Florida, a 6/7/8 nighter would do).

My guess is that the Navigator and Mariner proved to be so popular with the crowd that likes the 3/4 night cruises that Royal upped its game and put the Freedom class doing these short cruises, as they carry more passengers  than the Voyager class ships.  It’s all about maximizing revenue.  

The 3/4 night cruises have come a long way from the days where they were done by the oldest ships in the fleet.  Royal has set the standard on short cruises. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

My guess is that the Navigator and Mariner proved to be so popular with the crowd that likes the 3/4 night cruises that Royal upped its game and put the Freedom class doing these short cruises, as they carry more passengers  than the Voyager class ships.  It’s all about maximizing revenue.  

The 3/4 night cruises have come a long way from the days where they were done by the oldest ships in the fleet.  Royal has set the standard on short cruises. 

And that's great for them that they've found a successful market and no problem putting 1 or 2 of them on that route. But all 3 just seems like a middle finger being stuck up to non American markets (and it's not like some of the ships we have in Europe are anything to write home about, the likes of Voyager, Brilliance, Rhapsody and Vision are just what's left over).

Edited by CruisingJoe09

2 minutes ago, CruisingJoe09 said:

And that's great for them that they've found a successful market and no problem putting 1 or 2 of them on that route. But all 3 just seems like a middle finger being stuck up to non American markets. 

Like I said, it’s all about the money. Short cruises is where the money is. You don’t make business decisions based on likes or dislikes of some, it’s where you are going to get the best return.  Regardless of what they do they won’t please everyone. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Like I said, it’s all about the money. Short cruises is where the money is. You don’t make business decisions based on likes or dislikes of some, it’s where you are going to get the best return.  Regardless of what they do they won’t please everyone. 

Podcast: Pixelated Pints Episode 29: It's All About the Benjamins | Gaming  History 101

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CruisingJoe09 said:

Sure, it's profitable but could they not have had one in PC, one in Miami and the other doing longer itineraries somewhere? (even if in Florida, a 6/7/8 nighter would do).

Three words: B-2-B.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, CruisingJoe09 said:

Not worth it for repeats to Nassau & CocoCay sadly.

Well, yeah, true. There is that I guess. 

But if you view the "ship-as-a-destination", the AMP'd ships are getting positive reviews.  I know Liberty has not - and not sure if it will - but Mariner / Navigator / Freedom have. I can't remember if Indy got the full AMP treatment or just a portion.

Edited by HBE4

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

But if you view the "ship-as-a-destination", the AMP'd ships are getting positive reviews.  I know Liberty has not - and not sure if it will - but Mariner / Navigator / Freedom have. I can't remember if Indy got the full AMP treatment or just a portion.

Liberty had some major work done a few years ago. I am not sure what all was done but she was one of the first ships to get slides.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

Back to back just doesn't have the same feeling. The vibe of the ship changes over and there us something about heading toward home port at the end of the first segment that just doesn't appeal to me.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Back to back just doesn't have the same feeling. The vibe of the ship changes over and there us something about heading toward home port at the end of the first segment that just doesn't appeal to me.

I love them for that reason, I like the staying-onboard-when-everyone-departs feeling 😁

I also love staking out a spot for people-watching as the new passengers embark, everyone is so joyful 🥰

• Like 4

I noticed this too with the Freedom class, along with Adventure of the Seas. The problem I see is if you want to take a 7 night Caribbean cruise you're going to be forced onto an Oasis class ship - or a very small ship like the one sailing out of Tampa or Barbados. Oasis is OK, but not every time out.

Any idea where Navigator of the Seas will be in early 2023? 

Waiting to see what ship will be sailing from Puerto Rico in early 2023.

6 hours ago, SG65CB said:

I noticed this too with the Freedom class, along with Adventure of the Seas. The problem I see is if you want to take a 7 night Caribbean cruise you're going to be forced onto an Oasis class ship - or a very small ship like the one sailing out of Tampa or Barbados. Oasis is OK, but not every time out.

Any idea where Navigator of the Seas will be in early 2023? 

Waiting to see what ship will be sailing from Puerto Rico in early 2023.

I believe Voyager is heading to San Juan after her stint in Boston.

No idea on Navigator - her deployment is one that does interest me as I thought she'd be a cert for short cruises. Really liked the look of her AMP 2 years ago so would definitely be interested in a sailing on her if something a bit longer.

And yeah - not really any mid ground options for 7 night Caribbean now. I love Oasis Class but as you say, it gets stale doing the same one each time.

Edited by CruisingJoe09
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Missusdubbya said:

I love them for that reason, I like the staying-onboard-when-everyone-departs feeling 😁

I also love staking out a spot for people-watching as the new passengers embark, everyone is so joyful 🥰

I do too, but preferably after 7 days, not 3/4. 🙂  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CruisingJoe09 said:

I believe Voyager is heading to San Juan after her stint in Boston.

No idea on Navigator - her deployment is one that does interest me as I thought she'd be a cert for short cruises. Really liked the look of her AMP 2 years ago so would definitely be interested in a sailing on her if something a bit longer.

And yeah - not really any mid ground options for 7 night Caribbean now. I love Oasis Class but as you say, it gets stale doing the same one each time.

I was surprised this year for sailings out of Ft. Lauderdale. Allure and Odyssey are both doing alternating 6-day and 8-day sailings. Nothing wrong with it, it is just different. 

15 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

I was surprised this year for sailings out of Ft. Lauderdale. Allure and Odyssey are both doing alternating 6-day and 8-day sailings. Nothing wrong with it, it is just different. 

An 8 nighter on Oasis Class does sound quite good in all fairness, always wanted to see something a bit different to 7 nighters on them (often not enough time to do everything and really experience the ship).

Edited by CruisingJoe09
  • Like 1

I was a little perplexed when I realized this too.  
Freedom class have a lot to offer and i too would love to do 14 day B2B in southern Caribbean.  Have done Liberty and actually don’t mind Galveston departure but still limited in ports. 

• Like 1

We have a 9N Canada/NE booked on Freedom for this Sep in an OV large balcony.  Not sure of the status, but was looking forward to the amped Freedom this year  vs Adventure in 2022. Nothing wrong with ADV, but did B2B on her just prior to the pandemic so wanted to experience something different.

Whenever we sail or whatever ship, we'll just be excited to cruise again!

On 2/27/2021 at 4:45 PM, CruisingJoe09 said:

totally agree. i think its the best class of ships but a short cruise to Nassau and Cococay isnt worth it. also wouldn't want to do a B2B with that itinerary

• Like 1

On 2/28/2021 at 10:44 PM, allisonb22 said:

totally agree. i think its the best class of ships but a short cruise to Nassau and Cococay isnt worth it. also wouldn't want to do a B2B with that itinerary

It may not be worth it to the passenger, but it IS worth it to RCCL...they are selling more balcony cabins, which are more pricey than the inside and oceanview cabins...