Navigator now confirmed in California

4 hours ago, RSS from SF said:

---

LONG BEACH:

Currently the only cruise ships that port in Long Beach are Carnival.

SAN PEDRO:

Currently all other cruise line ships that are scheduled to stop in Los Angeles -- Royal Caribbean, Princess, Norwegian, Cunard, Oceania, Regent, Viking, etc -- port in San Pedro.

---

I stand corrected, it is Carnival that sails out of Long Beach not PCL.....I see a shot of it on the news webcam every night when they do the weather report. 

• Like 1

---

FYI for those of you who have already booked Navigator sailings from LA:

Yesterday I saw small price reductions on some sailings:

• The 3 bookings I made on 4/13 and 4/14 for balconies on 7-, 4-, and 3-night sailings (December 2022 and January 2023) were reduced $50 each.

• The booking I made on 4/18 for a balcony on a 4-night sailing (March 2022) was reduced $25.

My TA confirmed the price reductions and updated my invoices accordingly this morning.

-R-

---

Edited by RSS from SF
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, RSS from SF said:

---

FYI for those of you who have already booked Navigator sailings from LA already:

Yesterday I saw small price reductions on some sailings:

• The 3 bookings I made on 4/14 for balconies on 7-, 4-, and 3-night sailings (December 2022 and January 2023) were reduced $50 each.

• The booking I made on 4/18 for a balcony on a 4-night sailing (March 2022) was reduced $25.

My TA confirmed the price reductions and updated my invoices accordingly today.

-R-

---

Thanks ... just checked my Jan 17, 2022 cruise. Glad I booked my GS when I did.

Wow has the price jumped !!!

• Like 1

I just checked my 2-21 cruise & I came up with a $58 savings. When I called the rep said $18.  I proceeded to tell him the amounts on the screen and he finally came up with the $58. It still looks like I was charged $288 for vacation protection when the screen said $258. I also don't see where it says refundable deposit, it does state no charge if paid before 11-24.  It seems it's not like comparing apples to apples.  I'll keep checking and call if I see something. 

51 minutes ago, Lorey2007 said:

I just checked my 2-21 cruise & I came up with a $58 savings. When I called the rep said $18.  I proceeded to tell him the amounts on the screen and he finally came up with the $58. It still looks like I was charged $288 for vacation protection when the screen said $258. I also don't see where it says refundable deposit, it does state no charge if paid before 11-24.  It seems it's not like comparing apples to apples.  I'll keep checking and call if I see something. 

I was moving around a few cabins yesterday and one of my bookings added the vacation protection even though it said (declined). Called back and it took the rep a few tries before he could get it removed....said it was a computer glitch. A glitch....with IT....nah :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Ashland said:

I was moving around a few cabins yesterday and one of my bookings added the vacation protection even though it said (declined). Called back and it took the rep a few tries before he could get it removed....said it was a computer glitch. A glitch....with IT....nah :classic_laugh:

The same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago.  I specifically told the Agent that I did not want the travel insurance (we have an annual policy) and when I got the confirmation, sure enough...travel insurance was on there.  UGH.  I had to call and have it removed.  It was a quick fix though. The Agent that helped me the second time said that taking the insurance is a default so you have to specifically remove it.  Don't know if I believe that or not.  Whatever.  It's gone now.  

Edited by RFerrington
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lorey2007 said:

I also don't see where it says refundable deposit, it does state no charge if paid before 11-24.

---

When I do a test booking for a refundable fare, I need to go 1 screen past the screen that requires me to enter my guest information.  On the next screen is where I get the Refundable Deposit box that I need to click to see my refundable fare.  See screenshot below.

image.thumb.png.392c5b88693257d94616d7c05a420629.png

In my case, I email a screenshot of this last screen to my TA, because this screen shows all the discounts as well as the final test fare.  The test fare on this screenshot reflects the deduction for the Refundable Deposit charge after I click on the Refundable Deposit box. (Also, I clicked the Purchase Vacation Protection "No thanks" option.)

---

Edited by RSS from SF

On 4/30/2021 at 7:01 PM, Lorey2007 said:

Thx so much for posting!  Just checked now, and I was able to save $50 on our grand suite 🙂

• 2 months later...
2 minutes ago, WeMissSeaView said:

Is it cheaper going east to California and avoiding the Panama Canal?

Doubt it (they still have to pay Suez and the much longer sailing), AIS says she's going Cyprus, I assume to maybe link up with Harmony and/or Jewel.

Edited by Biker19

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

Navigator just left Cadiz after her dry dock and heading East not West.

Hmm......could this be a sign that Ovation will be doing the Navigator SoCal/Mexico cruises after her extended Alaska runs???

Stay Tuned!!

33 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I'd be glad to trade my aft balcony on Navigator for any balcony they want to offer me on Ovation.  🙂

I have a GS and would love one on Ovation instead :classic_wink:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, STEVE-O said:

Hmm......could this be a sign that Ovation will be doing the Navigator SoCal/Mexico cruises after her extended Alaska runs???

I'm personally expecting this...

however I was wrong about RCG sending Serenade over to the West Coast via the PC just for a 6 week Alaska season.... then get deployed where? Maybe Serenade redeployed to do the SoCal/Mexico cruises?

5 hours ago, WeMissSeaView said:

Is it cheaper going east to California and avoiding the Panama Canal?

5 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Doubt it (they still have to pay Suez and the much longer sailing)

With the so many threads over the years discussing Voyager Class through the Panama Canal with @BillB48and @chengkp75, and the ability or inability for her to fit under the Bridge of Americas .... maybe once, and just barely, under the perfect tide conditions ... I'm only guessing if NOS does make her way to LA that RCG didn't want to chance that voyage through the PC and under the bridge. Remember that RCG had Ovation Alaska voyages posted coming into Vancouver for over a year, and all the talk about getting under the Lion's Gate Bridge (same as BoA mid span height). RCG knew all along re Quantum Class.... perhaps they also know that NOS is not worth trying to go through the PC perhaps? Too many risks and what ifs?

Unlike Quantum Class, which RCG knew way back in 2014 that Quantum Class could fit (I posted that document from the Quantum Control Room from my ship tour showing Panama Canal specs way back then)... I've never heard/seen any talk or supporting docs re Voyager Class being able to go under the BoA, so the Suez route would be the only choice from Cadiz

The other aspect of a ship using the canal involves the profile of the ship, not solely the dimension.  

When you look at NCL Bliss she has no extensions or protrusions from the side of the ship.  Even her lifeboats are tucked into the profile for the side of the ship when they are stowed.

Voyager and Freedom class have these deck 4 extensions:

1750621284_VYClassProfileCanal.thumb.jpg.2c45affe6b3fb5a09aacdb79789034b4.jpg

If that extension is low enough that it would ever come close to the wall of a canal lock they might not send her through. 

The hull of the ship can slide along a concrete wall and just need some paint but if that extension ever met a concrete wall it would likely get ripped off.   

I don't know that it's low enough to be an issue but it is another consideration beyond the dimensions found on wikipedia. 

Edited by twangster
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, twangster said:

The other aspect of a ship using the canal involves the profile of the ship, not solely the dimension.  

When you look at NCL Bliss she has no extensions or protrusions from the side of the ship.  Even her lifeboats are tucked into the profile for the side of the ship when they are stowed.

Voyager and Freedom class have these deck 4 extensions:

1750621284_VYClassProfileCanal.thumb.jpg.2c45affe6b3fb5a09aacdb79789034b4.jpg

If that extension is low enough that it would ever come close to the wall of a canal lock they might not send her through. 

The hull of the ship can slide along a concrete wall and just need some paint but if that extension ever met a concrete wall it would likely get ripped off.   

I don't know that it's low enough to be an issue but it is another consideration beyond the dimensions found on wikipedia. 

You are so right about the overhang on the Voyager/Freedom class ships, that perhaps is more of a showstopper for a transit than being a little too tall for the Bridge of Americas.  On my last trip on the Liberty I took a measured length of cord with a weight so that I could measure the distance to the water.  I came up with a height of a little over 50'.  I measured it while we were in port, but I am not so sure on how just how accurate I was since there was really a strong wind blowing which bowed the cord at an angle which significantly which introduced a great deal error in my "guesstimate".  The Canal permits protrusions up to 13' as long as they are 55' above the water.  Is that overhang around the MDR 55???  I really don't know.  The new locks have the hydraulic rams that actuate the  valves the control water flow from chamber to chamber and to the water saving basins above surface of the lock wall which any overhang must clear.

• Like 1