Apex moving to Athens for 7 night cruises for summer 2021

TMaine

10 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Loving every minute of being out of the EU -- I'm not a remainer 😉

Seriously folks, any idea if Celebrity will use Athens again - the itineraries look amazing but I notice that they are not repeated in 2023. We've waited since 2010 to sail to Israel in August and it looks like it may be another while after this year. 😞

It seems to be a topic of debate...at least here on Cruise Critic.  Celebrity has announced they are doing it THIS year.  Some posters on these boards don't believe it.  I believe Israel is okay with it.  So is Greece...they have announced they are opening up this facet of tourism starting in May.  If there is any confusion, it is based on two things:

1)  Many are looking at the CURRENT official regulations...which say NO.

2)  Many believe that Greece cannot unilaterally open their borders without approval of the European Union.

As to #1, things change all the time.  Just because currently travel is prohibited, it does not mean they cannot change that tomorrow, next week or next month.

As to #2, it's an interesting issue--Though members off the Union, each country does still have a degree of sovereignty--and has its own interests to protect.  OTOH, because of the union, the borders BETWEEN the countries are no longer enforced as they once were--so, entry into Greece would end up permitting entry into other countries in the union that may not want the travel.  But, again, things change, rules can be waived...or restrictions lifted completely...or partially.

All I do know is that Celebrity has been in lengthy talks with all of the parties involved...and feels secure enough about its position that they've gone ahead and done all the work--which is considerable--to put this in motion.  Hard to believe that they'd make arrangements for each port, make public announcements, spend money on advertising and cancel and rearrange thousands of bookings if it were only a "wish".  So, I fully believe these cruise will happen.  There may be some restriction--such as capacity limitations, vaccine or testing requirements, etc.--but those, too may change over time as vaccination rates increase, case numbers fall (or rise), etc.

As to repeating these routes in Summer of 2023, I highly doubt it.  This is NOT their typical schedule.  They usually leave Israel off the calendar in July/August or whatever reason.  2022 is an exception carved out entirely because of the Pandemic...and the limited other options due to the Pandemic.  Israel has the best vaccination rates in the world, so, it makes sense to begin cruising there first.  By Summer of 2023, I expect everything to be back to "normal".  So, if you really want to cruise to Israel...and, because of whatever reasons (school district calendar?) you are limited to summer months, this may be your best chance on Celebrity.

1 minute ago, Bruin Steve said:

As to repeating these routes in Summer of 2023, I highly doubt it.  This is NOT their typical schedule.  They usually leave Israel off the calendar in July/August or whatever reason. 

By Summer of 2023, I expect everything to be back to "normal".  So, if you really want to cruise to Israel...and, because of whatever reasons (school district calendar?) you are limited to summer months, this may be your best chance on Celebrity.

That's what is so frustrating. We have plans for this summer (and it doesn't include cruising or any sort of holiday abroad) so were hoping that Celebrity may look at another year for this itinerary. Sadly, I can't see that happening. Our first sailing on Celebrity was Silhouette's first cruise to the Holy Land August 2011 and we have always wanted to repeat it. We are restricted to school holidays so it is frustrating.

Oh well, time will tell I suppose and perhaps we will get the chance to go on the beautiful EDGE (or one of her sisters) in the not too distant future. 

5 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

It seems to be a topic of debate...at least here on Cruise Critic.  Celebrity has announced they are doing it THIS year.  Some posters on these boards don't believe it.  I believe Israel is okay with it.  So is Greece...they have announced they are opening up this facet of tourism starting in May.  If there is any confusion, it is based on two things:

1)  Many are looking at the CURRENT official regulations...which say NO.

2)  Many believe that Greece cannot unilaterally open their borders without approval of the European Union.

As to #1, things change all the time.  Just because currently travel is prohibited, it does not mean they cannot change that tomorrow, next week or next month.

As to #2, it's an interesting issue--Though members off the Union, each country does still have a degree of sovereignty--and has its own interests to protect.  OTOH, because of the union, the borders BETWEEN the countries are no longer enforced as they once were--so, entry into Greece would end up permitting entry into other countries in the union that may not want the travel.  But, again, things change, rules can be waived...or restrictions lifted completely...or partially.

All I do know is that Celebrity has been in lengthy talks with all of the parties involved...and feels secure enough about its position that they've gone ahead and done all the work--which is considerable--to put this in motion.  Hard to believe that they'd make arrangements for each port, make public announcements, spend money on advertising and cancel and rearrange thousands of bookings if it were only a "wish".  So, I fully believe these cruise will happen.  There may be some restriction--such as capacity limitations, vaccine or testing requirements, etc.--but those, too may change over time as vaccination rates increase, case numbers fall (or rise), etc.

As to repeating these routes in Summer of 2023, I highly doubt it.  This is NOT their typical schedule.  They usually leave Israel off the calendar in July/August or whatever reason.  2022 is an exception carved out entirely because of the Pandemic...and the limited other options due to the Pandemic.  Israel has the best vaccination rates in the world, so, it makes sense to begin cruising there first.  By Summer of 2023, I expect everything to be back to "normal".  So, if you really want to cruise to Israel...and, because of whatever reasons (school district calendar?) you are limited to summer months, this may be your best chance on Celebrity.

We have a wonderful itinerary on Apex for Oct 2022 which includes two nights in Jerusalem and one in Haifa.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Our first sailing on Celebrity was Silhouette's first cruise to the Holy Land August 2011 and we have always wanted to repeat it. We are restricted to school holidays so it is frustrating.

Most of the time cruise lines do not visit the southern Med countries in mid-summer for one key reason -- it is miserably hot, often exceeding 90 degrees F.  Thus itineraries are mainly set to visit there in later Fall (mid-September onward).  Early spring would also be pleasanter but not so many ships are in place in the Mediterranean yet at that time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cruisemom42 said:

Most of the time cruise lines do not visit the southern Med countries in mid-summer for one key reason -- it is miserably hot, often exceeding 90 degrees F.  Thus itineraries are mainly set to visit there in later Fall (mid-September onward).  Early spring would also be pleasanter but not so many ships are in place in the Mediterranean yet at that time.

Thanks - have to say we love the heat. (It comes with coming from the UK where we hardly see the sunshine so I am a greenhouse flower 😉 ) It is a shame though as those of use who are stuck with school holidays miss out on the chance to visit some incredible places. One day perhaps 😉

3 minutes ago, GlobalMethod said:

Yes ... this port will be greatly expanded over the next 12 months ... Chinese investment ... it is one of the reasons we move here!

Well we hope it isn't too long before they use it again -- and in August ! 😉

Just now, Presto2 said:

Thanks - have to say we love the heat. (It comes with coming from the UK where we hardly see the sunshine so I am a greenhouse flower 😉 ) It is a shame though as those of use who are stuck with school holidays miss out on the chance to visit some incredible places. One day perhaps 😉

Not much help if you are set on a cruise, but there are package tours in summer and having done it both ways, you do see and experience a lot more of the country.

8 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Not much help if you are set on a cruise, but there are package tours in summer and having done it both ways, you do see and experience a lot more of the country.

We have done a coach tour of Ancient Greece - 7 days touring and 7 days on an island. We loved it and you do feel like you experience more of the country. With Israel we have seen some tours with Cosmos / Globus but are not sure at the moment. It may be that we try them moving forward. 

Our favourite places are Israel, Rhodes, Santorini and Cyprus so the present cruises would have been just perfect !

Oh well, God must have something better for us in the future when the time is right 😉

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bruin Steve said:

As to repeating these routes in Summer of 2023, I highly doubt it.  This is NOT their typical schedule.  They usually leave Israel off the calendar in July/August or whatever reason.  

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

@cruisemom42 you nailed it -- it is very hot and HUMID in Israel in July & August.

To all my family and friends I do not recommend visiting during those months....

I hopped on X's website and looked at Apex for 6/27.  Looking at the deck plans and posting it to what's currently available...Of the approximately 136 Sky Suites on board, 91 are still available.  Of the 16 Celebrity Suites on board, 14 are still available, of the 126 Aqua Class on Board, 76 are still available..

Although there may be a lot of pent up demand for cruising, folks seem to definitely be waiting on the All Clear sign before they throw their $ towards hopping on a boat.  I'm sure a fair amount of folks have already had to go through the whole cancellation process before on a previous sailing date and are waiting for that All Clear, as well.  

If you wait, be prepared to pay a bundle.  I'm getting ready to book now.  I'm vaccinated so the whole COVID thing is kind of water under the bridge for me now.  I'm sure prices are going to go through the roof as soon as more folks get their shots.  Here in the states, death rates are dropping dramatically.  Between those that have had the virus combined with those that have received the vaccine, it's not going to be too much longer before the U.S. is looking at this in the rear view mirror.  We just need to get the rest of the world vaccinated.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

What's pathetic is a vaccination means nothing.  It's kind of pathetic about our world that we always bow down to the lowest common denominator...If your vaccinated, you should be able to cruise, and fly period.

• Like 3

Does anyone have any insight into what Celebrity would do IF for some reason they have cruises scheduled out of Athens which are NOT cancelled, but US citizens booked on them cannot legally travel to Athens to board?

Would Celebrity refund the passenger or would you be dependent on insurance coverage at that point? And specifically what kind of coverage would be needed in that situation? "Trip interruption" or "Trip cancellation" don't seem to fit the circumstances -- would it be covered under some kind of blanket COVID coverage?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Does anyone have any insight into what Celebrity would do IF for some reason they have cruises scheduled out of Athens which are NOT cancelled, but US citizens booked on them cannot legally travel to Athens to board?

Would Celebrity refund the passenger or would you be dependent on insurance coverage at that point? And specifically what kind of coverage would be needed in that situation? "Trip interruption" or "Trip cancellation" don't seem to fit the circumstances -- would it be covered under some kind of blanket COVID coverage?

I'm a US citizen booked on the July 31st sailing. My booking allows me to cancel for any reason up to 48 hours before departure. While I fully understand that I may not be allowed into Greece by late July, my "plan" in that event is to cancel which will result in a FCC.

Now it is a whole different discussion on if that is a wise financial decision, but it is a decision I made and will live with the consequences.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Paulhc said:

I'm a US citizen booked on the July 31st sailing. My booking allows me to cancel for any reason up to 48 hours before departure. While I fully understand that I may not be allowed into Greece by late July, my "plan" in that event is to cancel which will result in a FCC.

Now it is a whole different discussion on if that is a wise financial decision, but it is a decision I made and will live with the consequences.

I think you made a wise decision 🙂 In these times any holiday someone plans has a realistic likelyhood that it will not hapen, but on the other hand the chances are very realistic that they will happen like these cruises that were designed for the current times and not some itinararies that have been floating around but were not yet cancelled.

• Like 1

Good question, one for which I've seen no answer on the Celebrity website. In general, if you don't make it to the embarkation port for a cruise that isn't cancelled, Celebrity isn't going to reimburse you. If you don't make it to the port because the country within which it is located refused you entry because you didn't meet its visa or other requirements, Celebrity assumes no responsibility. For example, if you book one of the St. Maarten sailings but can't provide a negative COVID test, you won't be allowed to fly in, but Celebrity would assume no responsibility, nor should it.

The Athen scenario is a bit different, in that we are talking about a substantial number of passengers. While Celebrity's legal position may remain unchanged, there would be a significant PR issue which might be more costly in the long run than providing FCC or even reimbursing passengers. On the other hand, if Celebrity is letting you book at a time when US residents are not allowed to enter Greece, with only the hope that the restriction will be lifted, that possibly changes the liability issue. Of course, anyone booking knowing that there is a current entry ban also has a liability issue facing them. 

Personally, I wouldn't book any cruise without personal travel insurance that would cover me for such a loss. In the current COVID climate, there's no guarantee that any country that will allow you to enter today will be so welcoming tomorrow.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Fouremco said:

For example, if you book one of the St. Maarten sailings but can't provide a negative COVID test, you won't be allowed to fly in, but Celebrity would assume no responsibility, nor should it.

2 different situations possible here.  1) you didn't arrange a test, or test results not returned in time.  I agree you won't be allowed to enter the country and Celebrity won't do anything.  Also I think no travel insurance will cover.   2) you are tested positive, Celebrity has stated you and your travel party would be eligible for full refund.

5 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Personally, I wouldn't book any cruise without personal travel insurance that would cover me for such a loss. In the current COVID climate, there's no guarantee that any country that will allow you to enter today will be so welcoming tomorrow.

I'm not sure the standard travel policies in the US would cover for this situation, especially if the border was closed when you booked.

40 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

2 different situations possible here.  1) you didn't arrange a test, or test results not returned in time.  I agree you won't be allowed to enter the country and Celebrity won't do anything.  Also I think no travel insurance will cover.   2) you are tested positive, Celebrity has stated you and your travel party would be eligible for full refund.

I'm not sure the standard travel policies in the US would cover for this situation, especially if the border was closed when you booked.

You're right, I was thinking of the scenario of not getting the test results.

I believe that we'd be covered under our (Canadian) travel insurance, which is quite comprehensive, but I've not bothered checking as I'm not about to book any cruises for this year. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Paulhc said:

My booking allows me to cancel for any reason up to 48 hours before departure. While I fully understand that I may not be allowed into Greece by late July, my "plan" in that event is to cancel which will result in a FCC.

My cruises have been changed so many times that I'm not fully sure what the final payment policy is. My last "lift and shift" (not technically a L&S but a change due to Celebrity pulling Connie out of the Med) invoice still says my final payment is due 90 days in advance. Not sure if that will enable me to truly figure out whether the ports on this cruise will be open, nevermind whether I can legally enter the country for embarkation...

Guess I need to double check that, for starters...

My cruises have been changed so many times that I'm not fully sure what the final payment policy is. My last "lift and shift" (not technically a L&S but a change due to Celebrity pulling Connie out of the Med) invoice still says my final payment is due 90 days in advance. Not sure if that will enable me to truly figure out whether the ports on this cruise will be open, nevermind whether I can legally enter the country for embarkation...

I got a second email today from Celebrity reminding me about my "upcoming" cruise in Aug 2021.  Need to decide to take a refund or 125% FCC, I have until April ? 2021 to decide.  Only problem is I cancelled this cruise in Nov 2020 and moved the deposit to my April 2022 cruise.  It still shows though in my cruise planner but also shows no deposit, just the total cruise balance due.  Not really a worry but, sheesh already. 

9 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

"Patience is a Virtue" ... Cato to the Elder in the third century  ...

In the "old cruising" we used to book cruises ahead 6 to 9 months to optimize benefits ...

In the "new cruising" I think we will try to work with a 90 day or less timeframe to avoid rescheduling issues ...

Good Luck with all your travel!

Edited by GlobalMethod
  • Like 2