The elephant in the room..

14 hours ago, FiremedicMike151 said:

Antigenic shift occurs when the virus replicates.. This does not require moving to a new host.. 

this is in direct opposition to what Fauci and the other scientists say.  Let’s see should we go with him or you?  It takes little thought.  I will follow the scientist recommendations and findings, not FiremedicMike!

• Like 3

19 hours ago, coffeebean said:

That is not how I understand it. In fact, the scientists and experts in immunology and virology have said that we must vaccinate our population as quickly as possible to stop the mutations from happening. The virus needs hosts to mutate. Without hosts (vaccinated people), the mutations will not occur as rapidly.

Every time an "expert" says something, there are almost always other experts that say the opposite. Just because it is online, does not make it law.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/27/science/covid-vaccine-virus-resistance.html?auth=login-facebook

I'm amazed at how many people think we are going to eradicate COVID through vaccination (and a single one at that). Let's pretend for a minute that everyone in the US has been vaccinated, and that protects them from getting infected (which already isn't possible). What about the rest of the world that will not be vaccinated and/or not be able to move quick enough? What about some of the current vaccines that already have crap efficacy rates? Remember how it started. It's naive to think the vaccine eradicates it. As a disclaimer, I am not stating the vaccine is worthless and won't help. I have to mention that because so many take an either or absolute approach to everything.

Before you respond to this realization with "well then what's your plan?" It will be that the first step needs to be realistic expectations. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

Every time an "expert" says something, there are almost always other experts that say the opposite.

I disagree.

😜

I concur with your summary: the vaccine is a tool in the defense from the virus, and may end up being a temporary reprieve or something that requires annual boosters.

What would be nice would be if the Coronavirus responsible for COVID-19 were to die out naturally in the wild, or at least turn into background noise, so that the human population could get itself sorted out. 

And yes, vaccinating the rest of the world outside of whatever bubble you currently occupy is important if you want to travel outside your bubble, but it is possibly even more important because whatever your bubble, people from outside of it are going to enter it.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2021 at 7:51 AM, Don Kehote said:

I'm just here to say that I am vaccinated, and feel good about it, and look forward to my next cruise.

We also got our second vaccine today.  We have three scheduled cruises, first one in September.  Hopefully sailing will begin LONG before then.

• Like 1

Google "polio vaccination hysteria" and "measles vaccination hysteria" and you'll see the same kind of "I'M NOT DOING IT" mentality back then.  Eventually this vaccine will be lopped in with those, to prevent sickness like the polio and measles vaccinations do.

On 3/30/2021 at 9:59 AM, Joebucks said:

Every time an "expert" says something, there are almost always other experts that say the opposite. Just because it is online, does not make it law.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/27/science/covid-vaccine-virus-resistance.html?auth=login-facebook

I'm amazed at how many people think we are going to eradicate COVID through vaccination (and a single one at that). Let's pretend for a minute that everyone in the US has been vaccinated, and that protects them from getting infected (which already isn't possible). What about the rest of the world that will not be vaccinated and/or not be able to move quick enough? What about some of the current vaccines that already have crap efficacy rates? Remember how it started. It's naive to think the vaccine eradicates it. As a disclaimer, I am not stating the vaccine is worthless and won't help. I have to mention that because so many take an either or absolute approach to everything.

Before you respond to this realization with "well then what's your plan?" It will be that the first step needs to be realistic expectations. 

Coronovirus will not be erdaicated with vaccines but it can be brought to a manageable level just like small pox, polio, measles, mumps, rubella, and even varicella.  We all suffered from chicken pox when we were children and now kids rarely ever get diagnosed (I am a pediatric healthcare practitioner). The vaccines can and are already helping. The media keeps saying cases are spiking but what they fail to mention is hospitalizations and severe disease are not. The older population is now mostly vaccinated and the rising infection rates are among children and very young adults who dont have access to the vaccines. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Julienatul said:

Coronovirus will not be erdaicated with vaccines but it can be brought to a manageable level just like small pox, polio, measles, mumps, rubella, and even varicella.  We all suffered from chicken pox when we were children and now kids rarely ever get diagnosed (I am a pediatric healthcare practitioner). The vaccines can and are already helping. The media keeps saying cases are spiking but what they fail to mention is hospitalizations and severe disease are not. The older population is now mostly vaccinated and the rising infection rates are among children and very young adults who dont have access to the vaccines. 

Good point....Media enjoys "Blasting" the raw numbers of infection on a daily basis....the truth is  the virus is very survivable and the vast number of people survive the virus.  As you mention, we are somehow living with a world that has small pox, polio, measles and mumps....we can exist with Covid.

• Like 3

I find the infatuation with FL's numbers on here quite interesting. You would think by how some are acting their numbers are double the rest of the country.  Then, you look at the actual numbers it is even more ironic since many of the critics on here seem to reside in the NE.

dwn-img.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Julienatul said:

e media keeps saying cases are spiking but what they fail to mention is hospitalizations and severe disease are not. The older population is now mostly vaccinated and the rising infection rates are among children and very young adults who dont have access to the vaccines. 

Not in Brazil. A pandemic, by definition is worldwide and is a world problem.

1 hour ago, ray98 said:

I find the infatuation with FL's numbers on here quite interesting. You would think by how some are acting their numbers are double the rest of the country.  Then, you look at the actual numbers it is even more ironic since many of the critics on here seem to reside in the NE.

dwn-img.png

What is interesting is both Florida stands out in the South. The Northeast is colder and people stay indoors longer. Particularly this year. Michigan is one of the radical states that have relaxed covid restrictions.

On 3/27/2021 at 6:57 AM, FiremedicMike151 said:

There have been cruise ships sailing for months with unvaccinated passengers that haven’t lead to mass outbreaks and death...

You have a good point. I support vaccines as a requirement because maybe that would satisfy the CDC and get cruising restarted faster. As well, it's a simple request, a single shot at Walmart just like any other vaccine and you're good to go.   

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, FiremedicMike151 said:

I don't believe my original post in this thread (cruises are happening right now) is propaganda..

Yes the thread is about other cruiselines are out making income by deciding to cruise from the Caribbean to get around the cdc for now, since the cdc is a moveable object. 

Seems like the mere mention of cdc or vaccines required some believe is political. Pulling this thread off topic. I also think it's a fact, the cdc means it about not lifing the cso early. If carnival doesnt want to restart until nov that's their choice. That's been carnivals stated position, fact.

1 hour ago, FiremedicMike151 said:

I don't believe my original post in this thread (cruises are happening right now) is propaganda..

I agree, your original thread was not. We left that thread long ago. Now it is just political bashing and conspiracy theories about the CDC. Everybody has info to support their side. Yes, I have participated. I hope no one discloses their identity on a cruise, there could be an altercation. I think I will take a break from this site and find something else that is more interesting. This is getting old.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Julienatul said:

Coronovirus will not be erdaicated with vaccines but it can be brought to a manageable level just like small pox,

22 hours ago, topaz123 said:

As you mention, we are somehow living with a world that has small pox,

Small Pox was declared eradicated globally decades ago:

"The last naturally occurring case was diagnosed in October 1977, and the World Health Organization (WHO) certified the global eradication of the disease in 1980."

On 3/27/2021 at 11:51 AM, ontheweb said:

I tend to agree that more will not go unless vaccinations are require. I think the anti-vaxxers are just more vocal.

Please don't lump everyone who is concerned about the vaccine "anti-vaxxers".  That is absolutely not the case and the only reason these people are more vocal is because they don't have a voice.  Every known outlet has been taken down, "fact checked", etc.  I personally am not anti-vaccine but I am concerned about it.  I take the flu vaccine every year and I have taken the first shot of Pfizer but am not taking the 2nd.  I personally know 2 people who had the 2nd round of Pfizer, were healthy and within a week were both dead.  Neither can be confirmed or denied that they died as a result of the vaccine.  I have also had the virus in November.  Studies show that the 1st vaccine is 70% effective and it's 7 times more effective when you've actually had the virus.  These vaccines (especially Pfizer and Moderna) are both untested and unapproved.  It is totally different technology than the flu vaccine so no comparison can be made between them.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I think it's pretty safe to say that I'm in the camp of someone who doesn't take every COVID doom statistic at face panic value. However, everything I've seen has indicated that there were more overall deaths in the US from 2019 to 2020 by about 300,000. What is this a graph of?

I am with you but also don't take the statistics of deaths in 2020 that you've seen as reason to panic.  The 2020 numbers aren't final yet from the CDC.  Also keep in mind that the population keeps increasing in size year over year.  One needs to look at the average deaths per 100k population and then look at it over a period of time.  When you look at that deaths that way, compared to prior years, an additional 300k deaths over 2019 are nowhere near out of normal for the US.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2021 at 12:48 PM, firefly333 said:

........ people must like living in fear and being stressed and upset... over nothing. Dont cruise this summer, it's ok with me. I'm not either. Nov when cdc lifts is a long time off. ..at least for me. 

THIS is the biggest problem.  The one sided reporting on the main stream news cycles have ensured people are frightened out of their minds and are not going out.  You have received the vaccine and should be able to go outside, to the store, to a restaurant without a mask, but yet you can't.  I should be able to as well since I've had the virus and also had 1 round of the pfizer vaccine.  Why can't we?  Sure seems like someone wants to keep people afraid.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I'm almost 2 months past 2nd dose, so I'm not afraid, but still not cruising though I am trying to buy a oceanfront condo in florida so been there and back. Lol I'm hoping mcdonalds has more lobbys open so I can eat there and stop for a pee break. Late January they werent open. My back about went out I sat so long. I realized only truck stops and rest areas were open after a while. Hope it's better and more open when I drive back. No cruising yet for me, but I've been out some. No fear here but I sure am tired of masks which do no good I wear so the other person isnt scared.

Good luck on your purchase.  I'm jealous.  What part of Florida are you looking to buy in?  We just got back from Tampa a month ago and are going to Ft Lauderdale in August for my daughter's wedding.  We have a cruise booked out of Miami right after but I don't see that happening at this point.

Edited by Buckeyefrank100
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

Good luck on your purchase.  I'm jealous.  What part of Florida are you looking to buy in?  We just got back from Tampa a month ago and are going to Ft Lauderdale in August for my daughter's wedding.  We have a cruise booked out of Miami right after but I don't see that happening at this point.

Why cape Canaveral lol, a uber ride from the new port. Ooops I just saw a price showing ...its for a listing in the bldg next to mine, and closed yesterday. Didnt realize it showed. It had some good shots from one of those drones of my bldg and unit is why I liked the shots. This isnt my unit. 

20210331_165514029.jpeg

Edited by firefly333

21 minutes ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

Fantastic!  Did you close on it yet?  Was there only once for a cruise.  Ate dinner at Brano's Italian Restaurant and was amazing.

Closing extended another 10 days. I wanted the smallest least congested city by a cruise port. I decided if I'm going to cruise a lot might as well move by a port. I considered texas but decided this port was the best. Wide beach so ocean view not that great, too far to actual water, but this seemed right size for 1 person retired. I'm ready to get out of dallas area. Want a little sleepover. Lol I'm getting names of where 2 for 1 fish tacos are and fresh fish. Will be at least another month probably before I drive back. My requirements were, elevator, not first floor, oceanfront complex, some view. Some awfully nice deep water and river views but I wanted sand and ocean.

I knew at my price point I'd have to compromise somewhere, view isnt direct, its sideways from my balcony. Was either that or location. I wanted uber ride away right there.

Edited by firefly333