Carnival’s CEO states that they will not require vaccinations

Prismism

42 minutes ago, OceanZena said:

I just have to ask....if you're on the ship and you're vaccinated, why are you so afraid of an unvaccinated person being on the same ship?...

Because it adds potential complications to your cruise plans. Sure, the vaccinated individuals are probably not at direct risk, but the more who are not vaccinated, the more potential (higher than from the vaccinated group) for an "outbreak". Who knows what defines an outbreak... could be one/two people or a small cluster. They probably will not have even caught it onboard (shorter sailings especially), but rather didn't show as positive from a pre-cruise test - either too soon after exposure, or a false negative. I can see the powers that be being overly cautious - in terms of ending the voyage as planned and doing who knows what (quarantine, etc). 

It's going to be a mine field out there - and the CDC has already shown they are not going to play nicely (or allow a lot of rope at least) with the cruise lines.

Tom

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Because it adds potential complications to your cruise plans. Sure, the vaccinated individuals are probably not at direct risk, but the more who are not vaccinated, the more potential (higher than from the vaccinated group) for an "outbreak". Who knows what defines an outbreak... could be one/two people or a small cluster. They probably will not have even caught it onboard (shorter sailings especially), but rather didn't show as positive from a pre-cruise test - either too soon after exposure, or a false negative. I can see the powers that be being overly cautious - in terms of ending the voyage as planned and doing who knows what (quarantine, etc). 

It's going to be a mine field out there - and the CDC has already shown they are not going to play nicely (or allow a lot of rope at least) with the cruise lines.

Tom

I can understand that aspect and I too wouldn't want my cruise interrupted by an outbreak. I read that's currently the protocols if there is one on the ship, that it would immediately end and ship brought back to port. And that would suck for everyone. 

But I think that's just the risks one takes to sail while a pandemic is still going on in the world. Personally, I won't sail anyway until the pandemic is officially declared over. I do want to book so badly and am so tempted, but am holding back. 

Yet when a poster says things like "I hope they don't let you on the ship" or "I won't sail if you people are on board" it implies insult and makes it sound like we're lepers lol. Had the poster clarified their statement with what you explained, above I would have understood their reasoning better. 

In any case, I still fail to see why they're going to cruise anyway with all these risks involved and not just wait until the pandemic is officially declared over if they're that afraid of disruption. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, OceanZena said:

In any case, I still fail to see why they're going to cruise anyway with all these risks involved and not just wait until the pandemic is officially declared over if they're that afraid of disruption. 

I'm pretty sure if the cruise lines hold off until the pandemic is "officially" declared over, whatever is left of the cruise industry won't look very familiar. On the bright side, some vultures will be able to come in after the fact and feed on the carcass, picking up the pieces for a song!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I'm pretty sure if the cruise lines hold off until the pandemic is "officially" declared over, whatever is left of the cruise industry won't look very familiar. On the bright side, some vultures will be able to come in after the fact and feed on the carcass, picking up the pieces for a song!

I'm hoping sometime next year an end will officially be declared. I have my eye on a December 2022 sailing that I hope to be on. I do think the cruise industry as a whole will survive, but yes definitely changed. 

28 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I'm not sure you have been a member here long enough, have enough posts or have been on enough cruises for your opinion to count............😂

Just joking with you!

I don't think the cruise lines could make it another year without some going under and others restructuring. You should be able to pick up a nice cruise ship for a decent price though if this keeps going!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, OceanZena said:

Yet when a poster says things like "I hope they don't let you on the ship" or "I won't sail if you people are on board" it implies insult and makes it sound like we're lepers lol. Had the poster clarified their statement with what you explained, above I would have understood their reasoning better. 

I think there are a few posters that think of the unvaccinated as lepers.  Some of these folks also think that a person's choice of whether to be vaccinated also reveals who they voted for and look at the "other side" with disgust:  deplorables and neanderthals.  "I'm not cruising with THOSE people!"

2 minutes ago, jfunk138 said:

I think there are a few posters that think of the unvaccinated as lepers.  Some of these folks also think that a person's choice of whether to be vaccinated also reveals who they voted for and look at the "other side" with disgust:  deplorables and neanderthals.  "I'm not cruising with THOSE people!"

Don't be so dramatic. Leprosy isn't very contagious.

1 minute ago, jfunk138 said:

That's because it's been what the lying media has been force feeding them to continue dividing us and they swallow it. I despise politics and do not like discussing it, but all I will say is that the above couldn't be further from the truth as far as i'm concerned and it's really sad if there are people who actually think this about those of us who are hesitant of the vaccine. In fact it's downright ignorant. 

16 minutes ago, OceanZena said:

That's because it's been what the lying media has been force feeding them to continue dividing us and they swallow it. I despise politics and do not like discussing it, but all I will say is that the above couldn't be further from the truth as far as i'm concerned and it's really sad if there are people who actually think this about those of us who are hesitant of the vaccine. In fact it's downright ignorant. 

Go back and read through some of their posts... the political undertones and the assumptions about who is hesitant and why.  Diversity and inclusion...

58 minutes ago, d12j28 said:

I'm not sure you have been a member here long enough, have enough posts or have been on enough cruises for your opinion to count............😂

Just joking with you!

I don't think the cruise lines could make it another year without some going under and others restructuring. You should be able to pick up a nice cruise ship for a decent price though if this keeps going!

Perhaps I could finance one - but I wouldn't be able to afford fueling one up !! lol

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jfunk138 said:

I think many posters have made their reason clear...  

Their right to a vacation that is not inconvenienced by the procedures for handling a passenger with Covid, is more important than your right to choose what emergency use medical procedures you undergo.

Hmmm...do passengers actually have the right not to be inconvenienced? I have had cruises inconvenienced by an elderly lady who had a heart attack and an elderly gentleman who fell and broke his hip. Yet elderly people or those with existing heart problems or other medical conditions that might cause the cruise to be diverted and ports to be missed are allowed onboard. I do understand those issues are not contagious, but the inconvenience occurs, all the same. 

I'm fully vaccinated, so I'm not arguing that people shouldn't get vaccinated. I'm just not convinced that having some unvaccinated people on board - especially if the majority (or at least the most high-risk) are vaccinated - is such a huge risk. There might be a higher chance of the cruise being interrupted by a heart attack or other non-COVID emergency than there being a COVID outbreak onboard.  

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Tippyton said:

In the timescale of diseases and maladies, an "outbreak" as we all consider in the vernacular is not really possible in the context of a cruise with Covid.  6 day average incubation period on top of an additional 10 days or so before hospitalization.  One infected person isn't going to infect a whole ship, and the odds of dozens of presymptomatic people all going on the same boat is very slim.  

Norovirus, on the other hand....Let's take this all in in the proper context.

Thanks to Covid precautions, Norovirus may be a thing of the past for cruise ships.

You don't need dozens of presymptomatic people - it only takes one. But most cruisers aren't going solo, so if there is one, there is likely more than more. And on and on.

But it isn't just passengers, it is crew that serve the passengers. Entertainers that often switch ships in port.

The incubation period is 2-14 days, and people can spread the virus days before any symptoms appear - if ever. Clearly if there is a single case on a cruise ship, unvaccinated people will need to quarantine.

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

I know what due process denied is. You have no proof. I'm smiling at how wise you think you are.

You are smiling because you are not wise. One day you will laugh at your today self. You’ll probably be an enjoyable poster, when you wake up. 

• Like 1

On 4/14/2021 at 10:44 AM, Prismism said:

Never dreamed ANY cruise line would allow ANYONE on board that wasn't vaccinated.  Seriously??!  After the impact of this pandemic, Carnival is willing to?!  Wow!  We have several booked, but....  The likelihood of an outbreak aboard with unvaccinated people would seem to be "damn likely" IMHO.  Wth?!  Given what's happening in India currently... No way his decision won't change.  We are regular cruisers, diamond...but unless vaccines are mandatory, we'll be on the beach! (-:

Unvaccinated on board??!  Omg 

Edited by dandeck
Comment didn't load
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, stellarose said:

its a waiting game. I still believe that carnival as many will require vaccinations to sail. but each day brings different info.

Well, I don't know what they will decide in the end.  People that had covid and recovered have immunity and add to the herd.   We do have 2 states entering a light herd immunity and 3 more coming close. They look like they will make it by end of month.  I think we will see some changes in everyones thinking as this all plays out.  

45 minutes ago, dandeck said:

Never dreamed ANY cruise line would allow ANYONE on board that wasn't vaccinated.  Seriously??!  After the impact of this pandemic, Carnival is willing to?!  Wow!  We have several booked, but....  The likelihood of an outbreak aboard with unvaccinated people would seem to be "damn likely" IMHO.  Wth?!  Given what's happening in India currently... No way his decision won't change.  We are regular cruisers, diamond...but unless vaccines are mandatory, we'll be on the beach! (-:

Unvaccinated on board??!  Omg 

It's just business spin.  He sees a chance to muster (pun intended) support from the anti-vax crowd, including perhaps pilfer some prior NCL, RC, MSC loyals.  He knows the government will enforce safe cruising and is relying on being able to say to the anti-vaxxers... "well, gee, we tried to make it a no-vax-required FUNship, but I guess we gotta comply with government regulations, darn..."

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, jfunk138 said:

Surprised nobody posted this yet:

https://news.yahoo.com/cdc-guidance-says-cruise-ships-154352815.html

"CDC guidance says cruise ships won't need to mandate vaccines"

Apparently Arnold Donald and CDC are on the same page.

This is great news especially coming from the CDC. My only concern is this is dated April 5. Has it been updated since? 

1 hour ago, OceanZena said:

This is great news especially coming from the CDC. My only concern is this is dated April 5. Has it been updated since? 

April 5th is a microsecond ago in slow moving CDC time.  I don't think they would change their mind in 20 days given the time it has taken to get this far.

That said, in general, folks here seem to be far too confident in the CDC's ability to mandate the vaccine.  They aren't even willing to sign off on full approval, are they really going to put their bureaucratic rears on the line and mandate something they won't yet even approve beyond emergency use?  Going on a cruise is no "emergency" in their mind.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jfunk138 said:

Surprised nobody posted this yet:

https://news.yahoo.com/cdc-guidance-says-cruise-ships-154352815.html

"CDC guidance says cruise ships won't need to mandate vaccines"

Apparently Arnold Donald and CDC are on the same page.

I believe it had been mentioned. I do like the masks will be required. 

It is possible I suppose that there could be different requirements for passengers with vaccines vs those without.