DeSantis nearing compromise on cruise vaccination requirements

1 minute ago, Alegeeter said:

Since Carnival has already put protocols in place for fully vaccinated cruises (Alaska) what if they offer two types of cruises as the industry gets bsck up and running? Some ships that require all passengers be vaccinated and some that do not. This way they offer sailings for all demographics, appealing to those who want to sail only with vaccination while also appealing to families with children and those who do not want/can’t get the vaccine.

The CDC has already set out guidelines for 98%  crew and 95% passenger vaccination requirements. Other cruise lines are working within those parameters. The number of unvaccinated would be pretty small, at least at first. I’m not sure Carnival has the leeway to vary from that

• Like 1

Those guidelines are only for ships bypassing the test cruise phase. Since it looks like Carnival is planning test cruises it doesn’t seem like they’re going that the 98%/95% route (except for Alaska, for now)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Alegeeter said:

Those guidelines are only for ships bypassing the test cruise phase. Since it looks like Carnival is planning test cruises it doesn’t seem like they’re going that the 98%/95% route (except for Alaska, for now)

Another thread today had a link to an interview with Arnold Donald, Carnival's CEO, who seemed to hint some ships will go the vaccinated route.  I hope that includes Pride out of Baltimore because I DO NOT WANT TO WEAR A MASK.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

I’ve been on all of the carnival classes except spirit and I don’t think I’ve had 5k on a ship yet. I know RCCL claims oasis class is the largest cruise ship in the world and they list double occupancy at 5600 and max capacity at 6600.

I can go off to other countries and do whatever I want. All the cdc requires is a negative COVID test within 48 hours of my return. That’s what it should be for cruise ships. A negative COVID test within 48 hours of the return or you don’t get off the ship. The ship can have special quarantine rooms just like the resorts do.

Any covid positive people wouldn't even need to stay on the ship.  The ship can contract with a local hotel and transportation service. 

14 minutes ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

Another thread today had a link to an interview with Arnold Donald, Carnival's CEO, who seemed to hint some ships will go the vaccinated route.  I hope that includes Pride out of Baltimore because I DO NOT WANT TO WEAR A MASK.

I think there's a good chance ports like Baltimore may sail with vaccinated-only passengers.  Same with some of the other eastern ports, north of Florida, and also Long Beach in California.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Any covid positive people wouldn't even need to stay on the ship.  The ship can contract with a local hotel and transportation service. 

They can also contract with any of the ports of call and put you off the ship.

5 hours ago, coffeebean said:

Breakthrough infection of fully vaccinated people is 0.009%. Do you realize that number is almost ZERO chance of contracting the virus if one is fully vaccinated? That leaves a very minimal chance of a vaccinated person transmitting the virus to others, especially given the fact that fully vaccinated people have a much lower viral load than non vaccinated infected people. Bottom line.....fully vaccinated people pose so little threat to others, they are a non issue.

I know at least a good 8-10 people who got the vaccine and still got the virus. Some of them even got it bad too including one death unfortunately. A great example look at the NY Yankees 90% off the team was vaccinated and what happened? About 10 people got the virus. 

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, kutty77 said:

I know at least a good 8-10 people who got the vaccine and still got the virus. Some of them even got it bad too including one death unfortunately. A great example look at the NY Yankees 90% off the team was vaccinated and what happened? About 10 people got the virus. 

In the case of the Yankees they all had the Johnson & Johnson shot which has a lower efficiency rate. As soon as I heard that I was like no wonder. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Royal lists it as 5500 double 6800 max. Not that this really matters. Most ships aren’t that big so it’s just ridiculous to talk about 10k  people on cruise ships like it’s a common thing.

The Symphony of the Seas is the world's largest passenger cruise ship. Measuring 362m (1,188ft) long, the ship has a capacity of nearly 9,000 passengers and crew, features 23 swimming pools and 18 decks.  I said up to 10k.  It is amazing how people on these boards pick the most ridiculous things to argue about when they are so very wrong on the main points.  I guess when you are wrong about everything else you have to point out things that don't really matter to make yourself feel better.  The above is copied from the BBC.  I hope my sourcing is good enough for you.  SMH. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

I think it is the CDC that exempts boats less than 500 passengers. Ferries and such are essential.

Yes, there is that about under 500, but the CDC still has regulatory power because the steamboats are interstate travel which is under the mandate of the CDC. If you go to the website for the American Steamboat Cruise Company, I am sure you will find the statement that they adhere to all CDC and Coast Guard protocols.

6 hours ago, bdever said:

In the case of the Yankees they all had the Johnson & Johnson shot which has a lower efficiency rate. As soon as I heard that I was like no wonder. 

It's amazing that the "outbreak" on the Yankees is cited as a failure of the vaccine. First, there were no serious cases, basically asymptomatic and only detected because baseball has a testing policy. The thought is the spread happened when the team was clustered in a small space during a rain delay. Think how much worse it could have been without the large percentage of vaccinations among team personnel. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Royal lists it as 5500 double 6800 max. Not that this really matters. Most ships aren’t that big so it’s just ridiculous to talk about 10k  people on cruise ships like it’s a common thing.

How many persons onboard do you get when you add the crew to those passenger numbers?

2 hours ago, skridge said:

The Symphony of the Seas is the world's largest passenger cruise ship. Measuring 362m (1,188ft) long, the ship has a capacity of nearly 9,000 passengers and crew, features 23 swimming pools and 18 decks.  I said up to 10k.  It is amazing how people on these boards pick the most ridiculous things to argue about when they are so very wrong on the main points.  I guess when you are wrong about everything else you have to point out things that don't really matter to make yourself feel better.  The above is copied from the BBC.  I hope my sourcing is good enough for you.  SMH. 

Wow you couldn’t let it go yesterday. You have to get back into it today. Okay. At absolute max capacity with max crew members and max guests which probably never happens since there are always solos, couples, families who put the kids in separate rooms…at absolute max capacity with max crew members this one ship on paper can reach 9k. If I go to Cozumel and there are 10 ships it’s the only one like that.

It’s stupid and you should let it go

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, embarkation75 said:

Ron DeSantis is close to signing off on a bargain that would recognize cruise ships at port as being in international waters, meaning they would not be subject to the state's newly signed vaccine passport ban if they require proof of vaccinations after passengers come aboard."...

Redefining definitions appears to be all the rage these days.  Am waiting to see how they spin this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, kutty77 said:

8 of the 9 Yankees that got it were asymptomatic, showing the vaccine works. They only tested positive since MLB does daily tests. If they were regular people they never would have been tested. If these Yankees were tested who knows what symptoms they could have had.

However, it does show why we should be wearing masks even if vaccinated since it could spread but CDC threw that out the window.....

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

It's amazing that the "outbreak" on the Yankees is cited as a failure of the vaccine. First, there were no serious cases, basically asymptomatic and only detected because baseball has a testing policy. The thought is the spread happened when the team was clustered in a small space during a rain delay. Think how much worse it could have been without the large percentage of vaccinations among team personnel. 

You are correct.  The key there was there was no serious effect and no hospitalization.  If that happens on a ship it would be like someone getting a cold.  They probably would not affect many of the other passengers even if they walked around on a vaccinated ship with the data they have been talking about.  That's probably where the CDC bean counters came up with 95% instead of 100%.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, cscurlock said:

You are correct.  The key there was there was no serious effect and no hospitalization.  If that happens on a ship it would be like someone getting a cold.  They probably would not affect many of the other passengers even if they walked around on a vaccinated ship with the data they have been talking about.  That's probably where the CDC bean counters came up with 95% instead of 100%.

And this was with the Johnson & Johnson vaccine with less efficacy than Pfizer and Moderna.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

Redefining definitions appears to be all the rage these days.  Am waiting to see how they spin this.

Yeah I mean technically under current legal precedent when they are at port the rules inside the ship fall under federal law.  They can spin it that way but at the end of the day the way the laws work right now its already true to some extent with the exception of federal law.  I would suspect they would just say we are not going to charge the cruise lines with this law unless there is some egregious behavior in order to get ships sailing from Florida.  That way the law wont be challenged.

44 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

How many persons onboard do you get when you add the crew to those passenger numbers?

I actually count the crew when I am speaking of capacity of a ship.  Many just see them as the help and don't include them in the count.  I am not infering that anyone on this thread believes that I am just going from comments written to John Heald and other comments I have seen on these boards and Carnival Cruise posts on the other sites.

Edited by skridge
clarification
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

And this was with the Johnson & Johnson vaccine with less efficacy than Pfizer and Moderna.

Correct.  They are all good enough.  I think at the end of the day all of this talk is sort of pointless in the long term.   I mean some people have cruises scheduled in November.  By the time we get to that time frame the rules for even unvaccinated ships will be so reduced that other than having to maybe take a test a port or wear masks on excursions or certain tight spaces I am not sure any of this really matters unless you are sailing from June - Sept.  Once CDC has some data they will change a lot of the rules.  I mean how much data does the CDC have on cruising since last year.  Probably not a lot.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

Same, 14 days in October and I hope it is a fully vaccinated cruise.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, skridge said:

I actually count the crew when I am speaking of capacity of a ship.  Many just see them as the help and don't include them in the count.  I am not infering that anyone on this thread believes that I am just going from comments written to John Heald and other comments I have seen on these boards and Carnival Cruise posts on the other sites.

In the words of Theodor Geisel (aka Dr. Seuss), "A person's a person no matter how small."

8 hours ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

I  think he will and to be honest I think he should run both types for cruises.  There are some people that can't actually take a vaccine for medical reasons.  There's no reason that cruises lines could not have both types of cruises.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Alegeeter said:

I agree. .. though I think many pie in the sky so far not accepting carnivals decision. 

While it might sound good to say ok some vaccinated and some not. In real life, saying ok Baltimore vaccinated and nj not vaccinated...give them a choice. In real life to be a real choice the ships would need to leave from the same port and carnival would have to be willing to let people price protect and move between ships .. if you have to pay a new higher price to change it's not a fair choice. There would be outrage. People are already booked on these cruises people say oh let's make some vaccinated and some not .. besides alaska which carnival has no choice.

To me people arent thinking logically. 

At what pt do folks accept that carnival made its choice. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

If the ship is in the middle of the Ocean is the concern. Who pays to helicopter to the nearest port and would the nearest port be a willing partner?

Will the cruise ships medical center be equipped to handle the Covid case?

Still questions to be answered.