Celebrity Captain's Club Changes June 2021

Host Jazzbeau

OK, I'm Blonde, other than them adding photo package discounts, what changed? You don't need the cocktails or internet because it is all All Included or what ever the term de jour is. The beverage upgrade means a whole $1. per day. So other than laundry, not much of anything. AND it looks like we lost our gelato!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Orator said:

Dry cleaning appears to have been removed as a Zenith benefit. Now only wash and fold. MC/Retreat access removed from the list of benefits.

One dry cleaning included according to the PDF.

I keep copies, there are wording differences on the beverage packages.  The Zenith laundry seemed to go to wash and fold in the Nov changes.   I called Zenith desk to check on bev/wifi as I booked a Simply Sale rate yesterday.  Rep said they had no email regarding Captains Club changes.

I can understand them removing the Retreat from the list while it is suspended.  I know we are all skeptical but I "expect" them to return it when they get to full capacity.

I believe all the priority boarding stuff has been removed for all tiers as well, again hopefully temporary measures.

7 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

I keep copies, there are wording differences on the beverage packages.  The Zenith laundry seemed to go to wash and fold in the Nov changes.   I called Zenith desk to check on bev/wifi as I booked a Simply Sale rate yesterday.  Rep said they had no email regarding Captains Club changes.

I can understand them removing the Retreat from the list while it is suspended.  I know we are all skeptical but I "expect" them to return it when they get to full capacity.

I believe all the priority boarding stuff has been removed for all tiers as well, again hopefully temporary measures.

Wish I could be as optimistic as you. 

The single Captain's-Club-benefits enhancement that has been most frequently suggested (here at CrCr) since the "Always-Included" era began is ... the automatic upgrade (at NO extra charge) of the Classic Beverage Package to the Premium Beverage Package -- for Elite-and-above guests.  This has repeatedly been suggested as a way for Celebrity to demonstrate its appreciation for our loyalty -- since the AI arrangement has effectively stripped us of the benefits formerly provided by the Cocktail Hour and the (limited) Internet package.

The aforementioned automatic upgrade (to Premium) has been suggested here, by various people, for well over six months.  As of now (beginning of June, 2021), however, Celebrity has ignored this suggestion, making many people very sad (and perhaps not a few people very angry)!

Edited by jg51
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, jg51 said:

The single enhancement that has been most frequently suggested (here at CrCr) since the "Always-Included" era began is ... the automatic upgrade (at NO extra charge) of the Classic Beverage Package to the Premium Beverage Package -- for Elite-and-above guests.  This has repeatedly been suggested as a way for Celebrity to demonstrate its appreciation for our loyalty -- since the AI arrangement has effectively stripped us of the benefits formerly provided by the Cocktail Hour and the (limited) Internet package.

The aforementioned automatic upgrade (to Premium) has been suggested here, by various people, for well over six months.  As of now (beginning of June, 2021), however, Celebrity has ignored this suggestion, making many people very sad (and perhaps not a few people very angry)!

I agree. I think the upgrade would be a nice benefit. Especially at Elite and above. We didn't get here by keeping our money in our checking accounts!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Keys Kathy said:

I agree. I think the upgrade would be a nice benefit. Especially at Elite and above. We didn't get here by keeping our money in our checking accounts!

With the numbers of Elites I wouldn't hold my breath for this one.  Would take money off the bottom line.  There's probably even too many Elite+ for this.

1 minute ago, bajathree said:

On the blog posting it also stated that "loyalty" members at the appropriate level for Michaels club and the Retreat would not have access at this point only suite guests.

That was announced and communicated to the affected people in November.  They did say it would be re-evaluated in June (now) but they expected to be sailing long before now.  Was supposed to be due to capacity control in the smaller venue.

Edited by wrk2cruise

• Host Jazzbeau changed the title to Celebrity Captain's Club Changes June 2021

I briefly skimmed the updates, but in doing so I did not see a single thing that impressed me.  I can add pressing to my laundry bag for "only" $20.  Wow - what a bargain!  And I can almost always find a way to discount my upgrade to premium package while onboard (especially if I wait a day), so that discount means little.  Experiences?  No thanks.  I am not seeing any that really mean anything.

Bottom line, Celebrity wants us to think they have improved their Captains Club to compensate for all we have lost with the all included pricing.  But IMHO this certainly doesn't do that.  And as I've moaned about many times on these boards, Celebrity doesn't really value loyalty as it comes with the older (often) cruisers and loyal ones who don't spend money onboard for all the extras like photo packages, shore excursions, etc.., as we have been there; done that.  We are not their target market.  Much like the revolutionized upgrades, it is a lot of sparkle and shine and very little substance.  Oh well - it's not why I cruise them but it is disappointing, if not unexpected.

• Like 5

I seem to remember that whatever was specified at a lower level also applied to the higher level; so since elite gets one dry cleaning then elite + and Zenith would also get one dry cleaning. Similarly that Captains Club Coffee is only listed for elite but is also valid for elite + and zenith.

admittedly, that isn’t the way the chart reads but that’s how it was always done in the past.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

I seem to remember that whatever was specified at a lower level also applied to the higher level; so since elite gets one dry cleaning then elite + and Zenith would also get one dry cleaning. Similarly that Captains Club Coffee is only listed for elite but is also valid for elite + and zenith.

admittedly, that isn’t the way the chart reads but that’s how it was always done in the past.

Proofreading has not been a strength for Celebrity.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Orator said:

Wish I could be as optimistic as you. 

40 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

I am also confused about Zenith benefits on Simply Sail. It says “upgrade” to premium on the drink package. What if you don’t have the AI package?
Very disappointed to lose the Retreat Lounge. The excuse is COVID but Celebrity has wanted to reduce this benefit for a while! Apparently Celebrity does not subscribe to the theory that it is easier to keep a loyal customer than get a new customer.

11 minutes ago, cruising teacher said:

I am also confused about Zenith benefits on Simply Sail. It says “upgrade” to premium on the drink package. What if you don’t have the AI package?
Very disappointed to lose the Retreat Lounge. The excuse is COVID but Celebrity has wanted to reduce this benefit for a while! Apparently Celebrity does not subscribe to the theory that it is easier to keep a loyal customer than get a new customer.

When will Andrea Shey make the changes clear?

Am I missing something? As with Viperfoth, I see nothing different today from what has been there since November. I also have copies of the chart pre- and post-AI but I don't see anything different today compared to months ago. Even the wording for Zenith to get a complimentary Premium Bev Package is the same.

Gelato is no different, either.

I am aware of the changes in November. Can someone please point to something that changed recently?

Note: earlier today, the link to "View All Benefits" did not work, so something changed, but it works now and just gives me the same stuff as before.

And the Retreat Lounge change was announced long ago, too, with the potential for this to be temporary. I am also optimistic it will be brought back for Zenith when COVID is not such a concern. 

18 minutes ago, cruising teacher said:

I am also confused about Zenith benefits on Simply Sail. It says “upgrade” to premium on the drink package.

I went round and round on this as well.  Sept cruise booked with Senior rate long ago.  The next line is discount on beverage package but complementary for Zenith.   I believe if you combine these 2 lines it's a complementary premium bev package.   Concierge I called said yes.

• Like 1