I have a cabin near an elevator. Would you change it or keep it?

Stockjock

I have a New Year’s Eve cruise that I can hopefully make, and my cabin is shown by the red arrow, which of course is right next to an elevator. The cabin with a green arrow is available and it’s a little bit closer to the bow, so there could be slightly more motion, but it’s also a little bit further away from the elevator.

If you were in my shoes, would you move to this new cabin or just stay where you’re at?

77B70E99-8FD3-4DA9-8C56-8A7085120BEA.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

I have a New Year’s Eve cruise that I can hopefully make, and my cabin is shown by the red arrow, which of course is right next to an elevator. The cabin with a green arrow is available and it’s a little bit closer to the bow, so there could be slightly more motion, but it’s also a little bit further away from the elevator.

If you were in my shoes, would you move to this new cabin or just stay where you’re at?

Looks like a M class ship. What ship? I wouldn't have booked that stateroom in the first place. I would change staterooms if that option is available.  We avoid staterooms that could be noisy do to crowds gathering in public areas. You're not going to feel anymore (even slightly) motion by moving from 7070 to 7062. They are both considered midship staterooms. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 3

And here’s another question. 6037 and 6039 are also available, and that is one deck down on the penthouse deck. I’ve heard that it could be preferable to have a cabin on this deck because that’s where many of the larger cabins are, and allegedly the better service people, but I don’t know if there’s any truth to that.

CD4DA9D6-462D-40DD-A7BA-31C8E1E3721B.jpeg

1 minute ago, Stockjock said:

And here’s another question. 6037 and 6039 are also available, and that is one deck down on the penthouse deck. I’ve heard that it could be preferable to have a cabin on this deck because that’s where many of the larger cabins are, and allegedly the better service people, but I don’t know if there’s any truth to that.

First I've heard that. I wouldn't base our stateroom selection based on that opinion. Plus we prefer not to book staterooms with public decks above or below. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have had several cabins by the elevator without any issues from it; I have had people next to me that were quite noisy, but that is just the luck of the draw.  Hopefully, you will make this decision and just know that there are no guarantees that everything will be perfect.  However, just make your glass half full, after all, it is a holiday cruise!

• Like 6

I'd probably switch.  Having said that, I wouldn't be overly concerned.  I've not had a problem with cabins near to the elevators, but I go to bed late so there is little elevator traffic.  Switch if you can, but otherwise don't worry too much about it.  jmho

• Like 1

Definitely keep it.

We’ve been lucky enough to have cabins near to the lifts on a few ships. The noise levels are usually subdued by walls, or some kind of barrier.  We have always found these locations particularly useful, especially when justo nipping in and out quickly to collect bits and bobs from the room..... So it’s a “keep” from us.

• Like 5

FWIW, I did move the cabin to 7062.  It's only 4 cabins removed from 7070, but this is a NYE cruise, so I could see people boozing it up a bit after a rough couple of years.

I figured after they exit the elevator/stairs, they'll either head away from me towards the aft (most likely) or towards me and the bow (less likely - fewer cabins), so it might make a bit of a difference in terms of noise, but really isn't much less convenient. 

Decided to skip deck 6 due to the public space below, as discussed.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 2

On 6/5/2021 at 4:19 PM, talljules1 said:

We've had staterooms next to the main elevators on S-class ships without any issues re noise.  So I wouldn't be worried.

Only been on S class ships and had many cabins near elevators without issues. As others have stated there is a wall separating cabins from elevators.  They are great cabins some with large extended balconies.

• Like 2

Have had cabins  close to the elevators, but not directly next to.  Never had a problem as something has always buffered any noise.  But, I probably would have changed as you did.  Not that much difference being closer to the bow...

• Like 1

We like to be near the elevator.  A wall blocks you from the actual elevator.  However, we definitely would only book a cabin with cabins above and below.  Try not to be under a public space, especially an entertainment venue.

However, we do have SS on deck 12 on the S class ships and never were bothered by noise.  We are early risers.

Never had a problem with cabins near elevators. However on M class ships you need to watch the deck below the pool - normally Aqua cabins. If you are across from the pool filtration plant its like spending your nights in a washing machine.

Have had a number of cabins near elevators and almost never had a problem.

Although one caveat would be that if there are restrictions to to elevator pax capacity, it could make the area by the elevators a bit more noisy as people wait longer than normal. 

We were moved from a cabin with noisy pipe work to a cabin right at the lifts on our last cruise, we thought it was great. The tiny beep sound could be heard if you listened very hard when the doors opened, we would not have a problem being next to a lift again.