Florida won the lawsuit against the CDC. What does this mean for cruising out of Florida?

PhD-iva

Keep in mind that the Judge Stayed his own order for 30 days to give the CDC sufficient time to file an appeal (likely with the Court of Appeals).  But if the ruling is upheld it means that "O" would not have to be concerned with the 7 day maximum cruise limit which would have caused them a big problem if the CDC had extended its CSO beyond Nov.   It would also vacate the CDC's dictates regarding test cruises, vaccines, etc.

Hank

2 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Keep in mind that the Judge Stayed his own order for 30 days to give the CDC sufficient time to file an appeal (likely with the Court of Appeals).  But if the ruling is upheld it means that "O" would not have to be concerned with the 7 day maximum cruise limit which would have caused them a big problem if the CDC had extended its CSO beyond Nov.   It would also vacate the CDC's dictates regarding test cruises, vaccines, etc.

Hank

But it has nothing to do with the fact NCL wants %100 passengers and crew have vaccination to be on board..

Jancruz1

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Jancruz said:

But it has nothing to do with the fact NCL wants %100 passengers and crew have vaccination to be on board..

Jancruz1

Nope and I support the idea of a 100% vaccination policy for cruise ships.  I might be swayed to allow children too young to be vaccinated, but I would like to see that issue debated and hear both sides.

Hank

• Like 5

This is more worrisome to me

https://www.cruisehive.com/florida-governor-reacts-to-consequences-vaccine-passport-ban-will-have-on-cruises/52110

If cruise lines cannot ask for proof of the vaccine  from Pax

well  I will not be sailing or  visiting Florida or any other State that invokes that law

I am sure Florida will not miss me or my $$ 😷

YMMV

• Like 6

Just because FL doesn’t want to require vaccination, countries require proof of vaccinations- so how would that work for all those unvaccinated who want to disembark in ports? It wouldn’t. I personally feel that this is a recipe for a lot of confusion and anger among the passengers. 
For goodness sake, at this point, vaccinated people from cruise ships have to stay in ‘bubbles’ in most countries. This makes me wonder when in the world cruising is ever going to stand a real chance of returning to normal with this latest development. Mixed messages and rules cannot be a positive for cruise lines. JMHO
We will not cruise in the next year + without proof of vaccination - so I do think that cancellation policies will be even more important to understand. Now there is a pending lawsuit against one cruise line that required vaccinations out of FL with talk of separating those who are and those who are not on cruises. What a complete cluster. 

Edited by Vineyard View
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Jancruz said:

Jancruz1

Very good policy from O.  Need to do all we can to stay safe.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, RJB said:

Very good policy from O.  Need to do all we can to stay safe.

I just read that Viking's first cruise in Bermuda has a positive passenger (asymptomatic) and all exposed had to be quarantined in a hotel for 14 days. Not my idea of a vacation UGH!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TrulyBlonde said:

I just read that Viking's first cruise in Bermuda has a positive passenger (asymptomatic) and all exposed had to be quarantined in a hotel for 14 days. Not my idea of a vacation UGH!

have you a link to this article as I can find nothing? 

47 minutes ago, Robjame said:

have you a link to this article as I can find nothing? 

It is on the Viking CC board. It is true and people on the cruise are posting about it. Something about somebody having a party in the Owners Suite with about 35 people (not allowed) and then taking a tour with  his closest buddies. One of the group tested positive so all in the tour have to be in a hotel (at their own cost) for 14 days. 

Edited by TrulyBlonde

1 hour ago, TrulyBlonde said:

It is on the Viking CC board. It is true and people on the cruise are posting about it. Something about somebody having a party in the Owners Suite with about 35 people (not allowed) and then taking a tour with  his closest buddies. One of the group tested positive so all in the tour have to be in a hotel (at their own cost) for 14 days. 

But only those 35 people, right? Not the "good" passengers? If so, they got what they deserved.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jimdee3636 said:

But only those 35 people, right? Not the "good" passengers? If so, they got what they deserved.

I believe that 4 on the tour are the ones that are in isolation. Viking should not have allowed the party either. Against their supposed protocols.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

I believe that 4 on the tour are the ones that are in isolation. Viking should not have allowed the party either. Against their supposed protocols.

Someone on the Apex inaugural cruise today said that her party of 11 were never asked to show vaccine cards.  Looking for trouble IMHO.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Someone on the Apex inaugural cruise today said that her party of 11 were never asked to show vaccine cards.  Looking for trouble IMHO.

I believe that Oceania is requiring a copy of the vaccine cards be provided at least 2 weeks prior to cruising besides bringing along to board.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, basor said:

I believe that Oceania is requiring a copy of the vaccine cards be provided at least 2 weeks prior to cruising besides bringing along to board.

I really hope this policy holds. 
Viking was supposed to have something similar 

8 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

I really hope this policy holds. 
Viking was supposed to have something similar 

If Viking has the same policy then the guest would have already provided copies of their vaccine cards to Viking....

1 minute ago, basor said:

If Viking has the same policy then the guest would have already provided copies of their vaccine cards to Viking....

The problem is not the vaccination issue as I believe all were vaccinated. Each country has their own guidelines and protocols. Bermuda quarantines you if you test positive or were contact traced (even though negative) and you must do it for 14 days. They also do not allow retesting until the 14 day period. People need to be aware and read the fine print of each country they visit. If not you could be stuck in a hotel or worse.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TrulyBlonde said:

People need to be aware and read the fine print of each country they visit.

Agree.

I think this is the big takeaway from the Viking experience in Bermuda.

Each country has their own rules as to how positive cases and close contacts are handled.

Passengers should be aware of those if they want to make informed risk / reward decisions.

Edited by Tranquility Base

20 hours ago, basor said:

Where did you get this information?  Can you provide a link?

I do not think it is Oceania policy. Someone suggested that if O required passengers to submit Vacination proof when paying in full, would surcumvent the Florida law,by not asking for proof at the terminal. 

2 hours ago, golfguyhhi said:

Where did you get this information?  Can you provide a link?

I will need to find it but it was reported on here that a cruiser tried to send Oceania a copy of their vaccine card for an upcoming cruise (over a year away) and they were told they need to send closer to their sail date.