Live from Apex - 6/19

Kreative03

Hi all! We’ve made it aboard and are finally settling in. I don’t do a traditional “live” report so you will get the important things from my perspective and I will take requests best I can.

First things first - covid testing is as you walk in. Pre-register online and you get a QR code. If you don’t, they will get you a QR code but it works poorly (for now). The swab wasn’t comfortable but it is an Abbott antigen test. They declined to test my 2 year old despite her being registered and it being said as a requirement - but the other two kids with us were tested (ages 2 and 4). Results took around 18 minutes for me, but our other group of 7 returned a bunch of results sporadically at best. We were told it should be 15-20 minutes. There was a lot of confusion and folks waiting longer than necessary because it required savvy to get their results. (App, website login, or email)

After that, getting onboard required a passport check and scan of the xpress pass. Next was security which also reviewed them, and then off to the ship.

Went straight to the room and 2 out of 3 bags were there. One was delivered to my sisters room despite being pre-tagged.

Onboard now and eating lunch. Let’s hear those questions.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4

11 minutes ago, kathynorth said:

Thanks for reporting while on your cruise. I hope you have a great time! If you get the chance could you provide feedback on your opinion of the 4 dining rooms? 

I am in a suite and will mostly be eating at Luminae and specialty this cruise. I have dined in all of them on the Edge previously and enjoyed the concept (having done the similar experience on Royal when they had it). If we end up there I will update you all.

I hope you all have a fantastic time! Will love to hear about Luminae and if you are ever in the shops and happen to have your camera and see any Jo Malone fragrance I’d love to know prices/what they have - but please do not go out of your way! 
So excited for you and everybody else onboard!

Wendy 

Don’t want to cut in… but to answer some questions on the 4 Dining Room concept I wrote an overview some time ago which might help.

We loved the concept - therefore - unlike on other ships - we wouldn’t book AQ on Edge Class.

• Like 1

So Happy for you and your family!!! Praying all will go well and that you will have one of the best times cruising you have ever had. We are on the Transatlantic cruise and so excited and thankful to have the opportunity to be on this beautiful ship.

Carlotta

1 hour ago, Kreative03 said:

Hi all! We’ve made it aboard and are finally settling in. I don’t do a traditional “live” report so you will get the important things from my perspective and I will take requests best I can.

First things first - covid testing is as you walk in. Pre-register online and you get a QR code. If you don’t, they will get you a QR code but it works poorly (for now). The swab wasn’t comfortable but it is an Abbott antigen test. They declined to test my 2 year old despite her being registered and it being said as a requirement - but the other two kids with us were tested (ages 2 and 4). Results took around 18 minutes for me, but our other group of 7 returned a bunch of results sporadically at best. We were told it should be 15-20 minutes. There was a lot of confusion and folks waiting longer than necessary because it required savvy to get their results. (App, website login, or email)

After that, getting onboard required a passport check and scan of the xpress pass. Next was security which also reviewed them, and then off to the ship.

Went straight to the room and 2 out of 3 bags were there. One was delivered to my sisters room despite being pre-tagged.

Onboard now and eating lunch. Let’s hear those questions.

Thanks!  Enjoy your cruise.  We are all green with envy!🤢😁

We're also on and will try to answer any questions Creative doesn't get to. We'll be doing the 4 MDRs, Fine Cut and the BBQ place in the garden.

My thoughts thus far:

Check-in and boarding seemed much less organized than reports from St. Maarten.  No one explained the process from start to finish (which was part of why many were just sitting in the tent post testing as it wasn't clear when your could go board....signs indicating what you should have available were not correct (e.g. the first line in the tent said "Have your passport and testing QR code ready" when in fact the first thing we were asked for was out boarding pass).  No big deal if you have everything printed out, but we tried to stay "digital" and switching between multiple apps and screen was a bit difficult.  Staff also a bit confused and not everything went smoothly.  We prefilled and registered for everything (and it was quite a bit between Celebrity, Greece and a separate service for the pre-board COVID testing). One out of three cabins we have ended up having to go through a manual check in process (which the staff were all confused about, several arguing with each other about what we should do and where we should go....after having already stood in the multiple "automatic" check in lines).

Once on board it's been great.  We've been told there are about 700 guests and 950 staff.... needless to say NOTHING is too busy or crowded.  Staff seem thrilled to see us but are all still getting their sea legs.  Two in our party wanted to upgrade their drinks package and it took a lot of research (but everyone sooooo friendly and just happy to be learning).

Masks required everywhere except the pool deck/gym or while eating drinking (which thus far seems to mean if you're sitting with a drink in front of you, you're fine without a mask even if not actively drinking).

The ship is gorgeous and shiny new....magic carpet a great little lounge (easily accessible with so few on board).

Edited by ocdb8r
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Sorry; is the QR code you mention the one from the https://travel.gov.gr/ site?? 

Interesting about face 😷 ; please keep us updated about the enforcement of this (or not)!

If anyone is DIY in Limassol or Santorini would love to hear how it goes! 

Are they doing anything special as this is her Maiden voyage ( I was booked on her original maiden in April last year!!)

• Like 1

Here’s one thing that’s sizeable, that I need to share now and separately. No one asked for or validated vaccination. Not at a single checkpoint. Not a visual inspection or a verbal attestation. Literally anyone could be on this ship. While it’s not a big deal to some, given the test was administered to almost all folks + the number of passengers — it is a big deal to those of us who intentionally booked a vaccinated cruise. Here’s hoping that for future cruises they actually vet folks.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Kreative03 said:

Here’s one thing that’s sizeable, that I need to share now and separately. No one asked for or validated vaccination. Not at a single checkpoint. Not a visual inspection or a verbal attestation. Literally anyone could be on this ship. While it’s not a big deal to some, given the test was administered to almost all folks + the number of passengers — it is a big deal to those of us who intentionally booked a vaccinated cruise. Here’s hoping that for future cruises they actually vet folks.

That is disappointing to hear!  For all the consternation it has all caused to those of you cruising, X can and should have done better.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kreative03 said:

Sorry to hear this.  I hope they rectify the problem on future cruises.  Did you need to show vaccination status to enter Greece?  Maybe they figured that was good enough.

5 minutes ago, Kreative03 said:

But didn't you have to somehow certify pre-cruise or at the port your vaccination status by signing some health form at least?  Even if they did not ask pre-boarding for the actual documentation?  

I wish I was there!!  I’m curious if there’s anything at all different with Apex compared to Edge.  I feel like they are practically identical (I imagine the artwork is probably different) but would be interested to hear any differences you notice throughout your cruise.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Miaminice said:

Don’t want to cut in… but to answer some questions on the 4 Dining Room concept I wrote an overview some time ago which might help.

We loved the concept - therefore - unlike on other ships - we wouldn’t book AQ on Edge Class.

A big thank you! Hopefully it will work the same on Apex!

34 minutes ago, Kreative03 said:

Disappointing but not unexpected. While some on CC have said that vaccination verification would be a quick and easy job for the cruise lines, and maybe it would be if every single passenger had the same proof, the reality is that documentation varies tremendously. Consequently, I doubt very much that staff would be able pick out fraudulent documents when they have no basis of comparison with the real thing. I expect that the best that we can hope for, at least for now, is verification for cause, or possibly random spot checks.

59 minutes ago, Kreative03 said:

This was absolutely NOT our experience. At the very first check in location our vaccination cards were inspected, a picture taken, the details entered into a system and then we're we're ask to click to indicate the documents we presented were true and accurate.  If you skipped this step, I have no idea how. It was literally the first thing we had to do to move any further into the tent to then do the COVID test.

53 minutes ago, Kreative03 said:

No - you will get an email from celebrity with a code to register for your Covid test.

Yes, we got an email the week of the cruise with a link to pre-register for the COVID test at the dock.  Just personal details requested (no time reservation).  It looks.like this same system will be used to reserve our pre-disembarkation test as well.

• Like 1