"Just water carton"

20 minutes ago, Jamesatgsu said:

Instead of plastic, the bottle is made of paperboard.

It's mostly paperboard although the cap and short spout are plastic (supposedly plant-based plastic...whatever that is).  Also, if you look inside, there is some kind of aluminum foil inside the carton.  

1 minute ago, MichiganBound said:

It's mostly paperboard although the cap and short spout are plastic (supposedly plant-based plastic...whatever that is).  Also, if you look inside, there is some kind of aluminum foil inside the carton.  

The cap had to be. 

I do question the environmental advantage of switching from the easiest to recycle plastic.

36 minutes ago, Jamesatgsu said:

The cap had to be. 

I do question the environmental advantage of switching from the easiest to recycle plastic.

But it's much easier to fill them up with the ship's tap water before selling them to passengers. 😅

• Haha 3

Thank you all for your quick replies.   I did check out the website that ggTexasGal gave me.  Interesting.

Hoping you all stay safe and get to go cruising soon.  My cruise is September 06, 2022.  I wanted to be sure I didn't have to cancel again. Can't wait!!!!!!!!

happytotravel

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HuliHuli said:

But it's much easier to fill them up with the ship's tap water before selling them to passengers. 😅

I have to be honest, I am not sure what the source of NCL's Just Water is, nor do I care to speculate.  That having been said, I must admit it tastes . . . funny.

17 minutes ago, WYB! said:

Just water is the name of a company and not related to NCL.

https://www.amazon.com/Water-Premium-Paper-Based-Recyclable-Naturally/dp/B01B3A0S9S/ref=asc_df_B01B3A0S9S/

There are 12 (16.9 fl oz) bottles in a case.

I've also seen Just Water available in my local grocery store.

- WYB

Yup, you're right.  I went to your link on Amazon.  Lots and lots of people complaining that this product tastes funny -- like water that has somehow gone "off," if that were possible.  It's a terrible product, and certainly not one I will ever purchase on land.  Too bad I have no choice, if I am to drink water on NCL.

• Like 1

Seen them for sale in larger, local supermarket chains like ShopRite and Whole Foods Market (Amazon's retailing partner) ... not stocked in large quantity, apparently, competing with numerous major "brands" nor  economically priced.  Something about efficient and compact, space saving packaging - from some municipal sources, filtered and what not.

Popular sized at 16 oz / 500 ml but also in smaller 11 oz / 330 ml - won't be surprised at what one get.  There are also flavored ones for sale at retail level.  NCL used to offer a national name brand to its guests, then switched to its own generic house brand briefly, also downsized to a smaller sized ... all done in the last 5 or 6 years.  By 2022, NCL could be jointly marketing something else instead, whatever.  

It's free & complimentary, so ... (could always use it to refill with ship's dispensed water & filtered)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ysolde said:

Too bad I have no choice, if I am to drink water on NCL.

At the risk of starting yet another water war discussion, you do have another choice--the desalinated and filtered water from your stateroom tap, any bar dispenser or buffet water station.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, MaineYachtClub said:

At the risk of starting yet another water war discussion, you do have another choice--the desalinated and filtered water from your stateroom tap, any bar dispenser or buffet water station.

Yes, I'm sure that's OK for most people.  I am trying to avoid mycobacteria whenever and wherever possible, as I have bronchiectasis, so I'll pass.

4 hours ago, ysolde said:

I am not sure what the source of NCL's Just Water is

Practically my back yard.  It's Bottled in Glens Falls, NY, I'm just South of there (I'm basically halfway between Saratoga and Albany).  Glens Falls is in the foothills of the Adirondacks, and right near the headwaters of the Hudson River (before it goes past a bunch of towns to pick up "stuff".  Bottom line - the water source can't be much more pure than where that stuff is bottled, I would attribute any bad taste to the packaging...

Ever see Saratoga water in bottles?  That's bottled just South of Glens Falls, in Saratoga.  

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

Latitudes Rewards Benefits lists:

Just Water® Cartons (per member) Gold & Platinum (1) Sapphire, Diamond & Ambassador (2).

Is that actually just 1 or 2 (depending on your reward level) Carton per person or it a pack(s) of cartons?   Also, what size are the carton?  11.2, 16.9 or 22 ounce or one liter?

23 minutes ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

Latitudes Rewards Benefits lists:

Just Water® Cartons (per member) Gold & Platinum (1) Sapphire, Diamond & Ambassador (2).

Is that actually just 1 or 2 (depending on your reward level) Carton per person or it a pack(s) of cartons?   Also, what size are the carton?  11.2, 16.9 or 22 ounce or one liter?

Gold & Platinum will receive one per member, 11.2 oz carton.

Sapphire, Diamond & Ambassador receive two per member, 11.2 oz cartons.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ggTexasGal said:

Gold & Platinum will receive one per member, 11.2 oz carton.

Sapphire, Diamond & Ambassador receive two per member, 11.2 oz cartons.

Thanks for your quick reply.

I sure hope the cost of 11 ounces of water doesn't cause their stock prices to tumble🤪

• Like 1

"TORONTO, June 13, 2022--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Flow Beverage Corp. (TSX:FLOW; OTCQX:FLWBF) ("Flow" or the "Company") today announced that it has signed an agreement with Norwegian Cruise Line ("NCL") for Flow Alkaline Spring Water to become NCL’s official water. NCL is a leading global cruise line operating a fleet of 28 ships under the Norwegian Cruise Line, Oceania Cruises and Regent Seven Seas Cruises brands."

flow.webp

Edited by cruiseinfoseeker
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

Thanks for your quick reply.

I sure hope the cost of 11 ounces of water doesn't cause their stock prices to tumble🤪

Long ago, I had a boss who would say, "It beats a poke in the eye!"  DH and I say that whenever we get our cartons of water on NCL.🤪

Also, as @cruiseinfoseeker posted, it seems they will be changing suppliers soon! 🤔

• Haha 1

We are all accustomed to the water we drink most often.  I think the tap water at our house is just fine, but my daughter who lives three miles from me is on a different water system and taste a little “off”;to me.  Having had a friend who is a water engineer for many years has explained this to many repeatedly.  Basically, it’s all in the mineral content.  If you’ve ever sipped distilled water, it’s blah, because there are aero minerals I it, which is what distilled water is for.  The wells we are on have a different content than hers does.  If you call your local water company you can request the mineral content of your water.  I’m sure you can probably get it on bottled water as well.  I rarely buy bottled water, only inthird world countries, so I’ve never tried.

• Thanks 2

On 6/21/2021 at 6:20 PM, ysolde said:

Yes, I'm sure that's OK for most people.  I am trying to avoid mycobacteria whenever and wherever possible, as I have bronchiectasis, so I'll pass.

I'd kindly ask @chengkp75 if he can explain the process used on NCL ships to produce drinking water and its purity. I only vaguely remember the behind the scene's ship tour and the engineer explaining the ship's tap water is the purest you can get anywhere. Sea water converted to steam in part from the heat of ship's engine.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, kylenyc said:

I only vaguely remember the behind the scene's ship tour and the engineer explaining the ship's tap water is the purest you can get anywhere. Sea water converted to steam in part from the heat of ship's engine.

Evaporation is one method (produce fresh water from seawater utilizing heat sources). Reverse Osmosis is another method (produces fresh water from seawater using filters and treatment components). And bunkering of water at ports of call is another (where you hook the ship up to the port's water supply and get the water from your ports of call - yummy). There are some small ships that do short cruises that bunker 100% of their water. 

NCL's latest report is pre-pandemic (not much happened in 2020 and 2021). 

418px_2019_Water_Production.jpg

Edited by BirdTravels

6 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

I have shared my Norwegian Cruise Line water experiences before. Almost the color of the backsplash. Yummy. 

And, as I explained when you posted those pictures, that is a temporary condition caused when the water system is shut down to repair a leak, and the chlorine scale (from the chlorine used to sanitize the water) that forms on the inside of the pipe dries out and breaks off and is circulated for a short time.  Because the pipe running from the deck main to your sink is 'stagnant" until you turn on the tap, the scale will collect there.  Running the water for a couple minutes takes care of the problem.  This can happen on any ship of any company.

6 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Evaporation is one method (produce fresh water from seawater utilizing heat sources). Reverse Osmosis is another method (produces fresh water from seawater using filters and treatment components). And bunkering of water at ports of call is another (where you hook the ship up to the port's water supply and get the water from your ports of call - yummy). There are some small ships that do short cruises that bunker 100% of their water. 

Water from evaporators and reverse osmosis plants are treated with chlorine before the water goes to the storage tanks.  The water is then treated with chlorine again, when it is circulated around the ship.  Water produced onboard, water in storage tanks, and water at various taps around the ship are sampled every month and tested for bacterial presence.

Water bunkered in port, must be from a source that meets the EPA and WHO standards for drinking water, and the water at the actual hydrant (not the water source) must be tested monthly, and certified, or the ship cannot use the water.  The hoses are treated with chlorine, and the water from the hydrant is also tested for residual chlorine, which must be present or it cannot be used.  This water is then treated with chlorine before it goes into the storage tank, and must be kept segregated from all other drinking water on the ship, and not used, until a bacterial test is shown negative.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 6/21/2021 at 2:45 PM, ysolde said:

Yup, you're right.  I went to your link on Amazon.  Lots and lots of people complaining that this product tastes funny -- like water that has somehow gone "off," if that were possible.  It's a terrible product, and certainly not one I will ever purchase on land.  Too bad I have no choice, if I am to drink water on NCL.

It was truly awful water (had it on our Alaska cruise in August).  I am glad they have changed brand but hope it will be better!  Oh and my ankles swelled with the stuff!