First time cruising with my cPap

39 minutes ago, charliesdad63 said:

Unfortunately, I now have to cart a cPAP with me when I cruise. Is there a spot to plug it in close to the bed? Does the bedside lamp unplug? Looking at videos of Horizon and I don't see any outlets besides the desk which won't work.

Generally, on the newer ships there is an outlet available next to the bed.   But I wouldn't bet on it.   You will most likely have to run an extension cord from the desk to your bedside table.  Yes, your steward will get you one, but I just bring my own.   Just make sure it's in great shape and DOES NOT (seems counter-intuitive, I know) have any fuse or surge protection in it.   I use something like this, which also provides a couple of "spare" outlets for chargers!!

https://www.amazon.com/GE-43026-Grounded-Indoor-Extension/dp/B00149SZ6M/ref=sr_1_11?dchild=1&keywords=plain%2Bindoor%2B12'%2Bextension%2Bcord&qid=1624556685&sr=8-11&th=1

Edited by ULCajunCruiser
corrected link
  • Like 1

My husband has a cpap and we took a small extension cord with us because we just didn’t want to take a chance that we would get there and there would be one to borrow, even though we were told there would be.  Our last cruise was on the breeze and it was perfectly fine, we just plugged it in at the desk with the extension cord! 

If you contact Special Needs, they'll provide a gallon of distilled water and an extension cord for your CPAP.  But there should be an outlet next to the beds on newer ships.  Mine regular cord reaches a long way but I do travel with an 8ft extension cord packed.

I believe I watched a video about the Horizon showing the lamps on the nightstands are plugged into a European-style outlet behind the bed.  Of course, these outlets have dual plug-ins.  I personally would bring an adaptor that would split one of the plug-ins into two (giving you a total of three plug-ins).  This way you can power both lamps, and have one plug-in available for a European-to-US adaptor to use for your CPAP.

A few notes, though.  1.  Any adaptor used must be sized so that it does not block the use of any of the other plug-ins.  2.  I understand that it is possible the room stewards use one of the behind-the-bed outlets for the vacuum, so I would not use any convertors in the easiest-to-reach outlet.  3.  And, maybe more importantly, confirm that your machine can handle 220v.

My wife would advise that you just string an extension cord across the floor from the desk to the bed.  She thinks I go too far.  I don't think I go far enough.

21 hours ago, mar214 said:

MY DH gets distilled water delivered to our cabin for his cPAP.  We also always use the Carnival orange extension cord. It's very easy to use your cPAP on board. 

Is the distilled water in the fun shops to order? We’d gladly pay for that! Last time we stopped at a Walgreens near our hotel in downtown Miami and brought it on with us. 

2 hours ago, kelkel2 said:

Is the distilled water in the fun shops to order? We’d gladly pay for that! Last time we stopped at a Walgreens near our hotel in downtown Miami and brought it on with us. 

Yes, as mar214 said, you can order.  Just call and order in advance.  So much easier than trying to carry it around with you during check in.

Just thought of another tip we always do.  We always fold and keep the luggage mat they leave for you.  We place it in a cabinet and use it each night to cover the extension cord running across the floor.  It helps keep from tripping over the cord if you have to get up at night.  Just make sure to leave it out on the be at the end of the trip so they can find it.

4 hours ago, kelkel2 said:

The water from the spigot is good enough to use for your CPap for a week.  The reverse osmosis or whatever process the water goes through is better than your tap water at home.  

12 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

The water from the spigot is good enough to use for your CPap for a week.  The reverse osmosis or whatever process the water goes through is better than your tap water at home.  

Really?? I had no idea! 

3 minutes ago, kelkel2 said:

Really?? I had no idea! 

The reason that you "should" use distilled water is because all of the impurities have been removed and no residue will accumulate in your water chamber. 

Have had a CPap for almost 20 years and used distilled back in the day when it was dirt cheap and I didn't know better.  My tap water causes slight accumulation in the water chamber.  When I had a passover type, I just opened it and ran it through the dishwasher to remove the slight build up.  Now, with a built in chamber I just clean it with an old toothbrush. 

Best thing that happened to me was a ex girlfriend who diagnosed me when I crashed at her place.  It's  a shame that ex NFL player Reggie White wasn't diagnosed before he died.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

I totally agree! When I wanted a drink of water(and I drink a LOT of water) I simply filled my water glass in our cabin's bathroom. It tastes better than what we have at home. 

On 6/25/2021 at 6:24 PM, SNJCruisers said:

The reason that you "should" use distilled water is because all of the impurities have been removed and no residue will accumulate in your water chamber. 

Have had a CPap for almost 20 years and used distilled back in the day when it was dirt cheap and I didn't know better.  My tap water causes slight accumulation in the water chamber.  When I had a passover type, I just opened it and ran it through the dishwasher to remove the slight build up.  Now, with a built in chamber I just clean it with an old toothbrush. 

Best thing that happened to me was a ex girlfriend who diagnosed me when I crashed at her place.  It's  a shame that ex NFL player Reggie White wasn't diagnosed before he died.

It’s absolute tragedy… losing Reggie is something that just never should have happened. 
I work in healthcare and had worked with many patients with apnea and I knew the sound. My husband had a seizure in the middle of the night several years ago that they’re saying was from apnea. I knew he had it, he just wouldn’t listen. He does now!

• Like 1

I travel with my CPAP  and always take an extension cord and preorder distilled water.  However, I am always delayed for a few minutes when we check in so they can verify I don't have oxygen with it!!  Just a small irritant that I definitely will not mind in September

7 hours ago, secondchance said:

I travel with my CPAP  and always take an extension cord and preorder distilled water.  However, I am always delayed for a few minutes when we check in so they can verify I don't have oxygen with it!!  Just a small irritant that I definitely will not mind in September

They need to verify concerning oxygen beforehand since anyone on oxygen is not allowed to cruise because of Covid.  

On 6/25/2021 at 1:47 PM, kelkel2 said:

It is not in the Funshops- call room service once on board.  But since I am carrying the machine and just carry my own gallon of water.