Ocean Medallion App - Part 3

margord

I'm sure this question has been asked and answered before but since I am having a problem with my eyesight, i will hope that someone will answer it again for me.  I've made it to the screen that asks for my contact.  I have entered  the name, and phone number but it asks for a country code.  I have NO idea what that is.  At first I thought it was a telephone area code, but the Area Code for my Emergency contact is not on the list.  This Medallion system is the Pits!

13 minutes ago, Gallupgal said:

I'm sure this question has been asked and answered before but since I am having a problem with my eyesight, i will hope that someone will answer it again for me.  I've made it to the screen that asks for my contact.  I have entered  the name, and phone number but it asks for a country code.  I have NO idea what that is.  At first I thought it was a telephone area code, but the Area Code for my Emergency contact is not on the list.  This Medallion system is the Pits!

US country code is +1. Just as an Area Code tells which part of the country, a Country Code tells which part of the World. e.g. UK is +44

• Like 1

I have not sailed with Princess for several years, and all this Medallion stuff is new to me. I am very confused. 

First I do not use a smart phone, I use a flip phone and am very happy with it. I have no desire to use WiFi on the ship. Will I still get a medallion even though I cannot download any apps? Does the medallion cost extra?

I suppose without a smart phone I can still use the medallion as a room key and for making purchases.

But there is no way I can input information into the Medallion since I won't have access to the app.

Can I just show up at the terminal and get the medallion at the counter?

Does Princess still have the old room key cards available, like I am used to?

Guest Snaxmuppet
1 minute ago, Tom O. said:

I have not sailed with Princess for several years, and all this Medallion stuff is new to me. I am very confused. 

First I do not use a smart phone, I use a flip phone and am very happy with it. I have no desire to use WiFi on the ship. Will I still get a medallion even though I cannot download any apps? Does the medallion cost extra?

I suppose without a smart phone I can still use the medallion as a room key and for making purchases.

But there is no way I can input information into the Medallion since I won't have access to the app.

No problem.

Yes, you can just turn up at the terminal with the paperwork and they will do it for you. You do not need a smartphone to sail with Princess 🙂

The medallion is just the electronic replacement for the old key card. It is free and yes, you can just pick up at the terminal. They do not have key cards anymore. Just use it once on board exactly as you did for a key card. Again, no phone necessary.  

There are a few ways you can do the things that can be done on the app... there are touch screens around the ship, there is your room smart TV and of course, if all else fails, there is guest services.

I am sure there must be a lot of people in your position so don't worry... make sure you have all the necessary documents with you and you should be good to go 🙂 

Thank you very much for all that information. My travel companion will have an Iphone, so he will probably make more use of the medallion than me.

I feel better about booking now that I have a better understanding of it.

I downloaded the Cruise Answer Book, and there is no mention of medallions in it. In fact it was mentioned that I would get the old fashioned cruise card, that I could open my room with.

Thanks again,

1 hour ago, clueless2 said:

I tried to set up same time dining again today for my B2B2B2B cruise and was finally successful.   Yeah!

Very interesting report.  Would you mind indicating ship and dates?  Did you review all the nights to see if you have a Private table?  Or, I suppose you might be Sharing by choice.  I guess another point is whether you have dining/travel companions or just guests in your cabin dining together?  (If just a couple, there wouldn't be any splitting the party up across tables).  Thanks for any other details.

13 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Very interesting report.  Would you mind indicating ship and dates?  Did you review all the nights to see if you have a Private table?  Or, I suppose you might be Sharing by choice.  I guess another point is whether you have dining/travel companions or just guests in your cabin dining together?  (If just a couple, there wouldn't be any splitting the party up across tables).  Thanks for any other details.

Majestic Princess-Sep 24, Oct 20, Oct 31, Nov 12 (Transpacific, Australia and New Zealand).  Private table for just my wife and myself.   All days show private table.  On the app the 4 cruises show up as a single cruise.

I hadn't tried for a couple of weeks.  Previously I could make a reservation for a single day but not the entire cruise. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, clueless2 said:

Majestic Princess-Sep 24, Oct 20, Oct 31, Nov 12 (Transpacific, Australia and New Zealand).  Private table for just my wife and myself.   All days show private table.  On the app the 4 cruises show up as a single cruise.

I hadn't tried for a couple of weeks.  Previously I could make a reservation for a single day but not the entire cruise. 

Nice looking long voyage there.  Ours show a single cruise for the B2B2B and then the fourth cruise is separate as there is a date gap and a ship change.  Same here - at times I could make a single day if I wanted for 25 days, but that would be a hodge-podge of table assignments.  With our B2B2B on Regal, there appears to be only one DR loaded into inventory as I never see either of the other two listed.  This could be why inventory is now gone and only offering split tables.  If I am right, they will have to load up the others eventually.  Unfortunately, our favorite of the three is the one in play now and appears to be full.  The System doesn't indicate what sort of table(s) we are placed at - and based on previous behavior, I suspect we have been assigned to a bunch of different 6-tops and 8-tops.  I just hope before next Fall that sanity returns and the MD's can sort out TD table assignments.

5 minutes ago, voljeep said:

"next Fall" - as in a year from now ??

and I thought my wife was a planner ... 🤩

You can see our future voyages in my signature.

Like a lot of folks who book early (in our case JAN 2021), we setup our TD request in Personalizer, including linking with friends.  When DMW was released on June 7, I expected Princess to deliver and honor what they told us in print and verbally (via John Chernesky's webinars).  That included porting over pre-existing dining requests and delivering on TD experience.  Pretty simple expectation, IMO. 

They delivered on neither at that time.  I know there is plenty of runway left, but I'd like to see the whole traditional dining process working someday before we sail. I do think a fallback of working with the MD once we board will yield a satisfactory result, but in the meantime I think we should hold Princess' feet to the fire to make sure they deliver on promises.

I was eventually able to book dining perfectly for the four of us on our 4th voyage which is a standalone cruise.  Unfortunately, they still have nigh issues with multiple voyages (B2B2B in our case) and that is where we are out of luck so far.  That, and the fact that many TD'ers are finding they do not have the same table and wait staff each evening.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

You can see our future voyages in my signature.

actually, I can't , as I have that blocked for all posters ...

I somewhat understand about linking with friends for a future dining event ... but, wow - all the postings and time you have spent ... good for you and hope it all works out as you are doing a lot of the legwork for future cruisers benefits ..

3 minutes ago, voljeep said:

actually, I can't , as I have that blocked for all posters ...

I somewhat understand about linking with friends for a future dining event ... but, wow - all the postings and time you have spent ... good for you and hope it all works out as you are doing a lot of the legwork for future cruisers benefits ..

OCT 2022.  B2B2B on REGAL (Rome-Athens-Barcelona-Rome) and then OCT 31 on ISLAND RT Rome.  39 nights in total with 5 nights between 3rd and 4th voyages.

Yesterday I noticed that most of the Journey View Activities Timeline is available for our Majestic cruise 2 weeks from now. The entertainment activities in the Princess Theater & Vista Lounge have not been added yet which would be helpful to decide on DMW reservations.

4 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

Yesterday I noticed that most of the Journey View Activities Timeline is available for our Majestic cruise 2 weeks from now. The entertainment activities in the Princess Theater & Vista Lounge have not been added yet which would be helpful to decide on DMW reservations.

I'm on the Grand Thursday,  and jv says to check back closer to my voyage 🙄.  But I was able to book complimentary Sabatini dinner 😋

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

Except it does nothing off the ship. 

ETA:  Except act as a fridge magnet.

With the right app on your phone you can scan it & see what info is stored on it.  Warning, it's not a lot, mostly just a unique identifier for the onboard systems to use to look you up in their database. I scanned one awhile ago, can't remember what the App was (doesn't matter, the results are somewhere on CC). You need a fairly recent Medallion as the battery runs out after awhile.

1 hour ago, CruiseVA said:

With the right app on your phone you can scan it & see what info is stored on it.  Warning, it's not a lot, mostly just a unique identifier for the onboard systems to use to look you up in their database. I scanned one awhile ago, can't remember what the App was (doesn't matter, the results are somewhere on CC). You need a fairly recent Medallion as the battery runs out after awhile.

Yeah, I did that Bluetooth thing back when I got my first one.  They're long dead now.  Wish it was easy to get the battery out - it might leak one day FAIK.

15 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

Yes...I too would like to see entertainment times to help in bookkng  dining reservations. We have used  'Antyime dining' since it became a thing as we like the flexibility depending on what we are doing each day.  So interested to see how well making reservations will work for us. 

On 10/9/2021 at 2:51 PM, Tom O. said:

Show up at the pier with your passport, proof of vaccination and a credit card and you will be fine. They will give you a medallion. 

4 hours ago, paul929207 said:

Show up at the pier with your passport, proof of vaccination and a credit card and you will be fine. They will give you a medallion. 

And an approved negative COVID-19 test result done within 2 days of boarding.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 2