Ocean Medallion App - Part 3

margord

1 hour ago, Sail away MK said:

I am sailing with 35 of my friends in December and many are not tech savvy.  I spent quite a bit of time this summer agonizing over the app, the white screen, and the failure to edit so I would be ready to give advice to them.  I have scoured the boards to learn from all of you so I would be green lane and ocean ready.  When we had a pre-cruise meeting last week my advice was...  

"The app is sketchy but upload it and give it a try.  If you get stuck, turn it off, count to 10 and start again.  If that doesn't work get an adult beverage and come back another day.  You can do EVERYTHING at embarkation so don't stress.  You can still walk up and do everything on boarding day just like before.  Dine my Way is problematic, lets leave it alone.  Call if you need me."

With that being said, I had one stressed friend call several times with glitches and we drank several adult beverages. She is now green lane. One called and wanted me to upload her passport so I did, she did the rest.  One wanted to know what an app was so we met and I did everything for her.  It was a good day and she went from installing the app to green lane and Boarding group in about an hour.  The rest are muddling through as best they can or will show up with paperwork and enjoy their cruise.  I'm happy to be cruising again!

Perfect attitude! ❣️🥂

• Like 1

• I am near the end, I hope, of a 42 year IT career.   Given all the variety of jobs I've had in that time I do have to give Mr Padgett a little bit of leeway.  The Medallion may be his baby but he's not the only one changing the diapers and feeding it.  Truth is, while he may have brought it into the world,  folks he has never met have influenced and screwed up its development.  As I said earlier, we may change our minds after our cruise next month.  Or we may not, in which case I'll throw him under the bus.  But for now, if I meet him we'll have a beer or two.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Grego said:

It was a strange move considering he really doesn't have cruise business experience other than the implementation of the medallion.  The medallion does exactly what it was intended to do and the full implementation of all it can do will be exciting.  If it weren't for the possible poor choice of app design and delivery it would really be a game changer for the industry.

4 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

So it was intented to frustrate many, many people, and waste thousands of hours of customers time?

You're right!  It does this very well.

Please pay attention to what is actually said. The Medallion does indeed do exactly what it is intended to do. The MedallionClassApp is where the issue lies. The Medallion seems to work pretty darn well from what I've read on these forums.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I'm sounding like a broken record...

There is so much you can do at Embarcation,  same as before.

You will go thru the TSA scanner things before you go inside, and they check to see

that you have Passport, Negative covid test, yada.

If you get there early, just walk in like before. They will sit you in a group, same as before.

Nobody asked what Group we were assigned.  They didn't care.

When we got to checkin desk they look at the your passport again & Negative covid test

and double check your credit card, same as before.

Then we were given our Medallions, it took mere seconds.

We booked No dining Rez on the app ahead.  Everything was booked onboard.

Would it have been easier if App worked like it should?  Sure.

Honestly,  if you don't do much ahead, it doesn't seem to matter.

Try Not to worry.  They are Welcoming onboard.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

I'm sounding like a broken record...

There is so much you can do at Embarcation,  same as before.

You will go thru the TSA scanner things before you go inside, and they check to see

that you have Passport, Negative covid test, yada.

If you get there early, just walk in like before. They will sit you in a group, same as before.

Nobody asked what Group we were assigned.  They didn't care.

When we got to checkin desk they look at the your passport again & Negative covid test

and double check your credit card, same as before.

Then we were given our Medallions, it took mere seconds.

We booked No dining Rez on the app ahead.  Everything was booked onboard.

Would it have been easier if App worked like it should?  Sure.

Honestly,  if you don't do much ahead, it doesn't seem to matter.

Try Not to worry.  They are Welcoming onboard.

We always have hard copy backup.  It's idiocy not to do so.

Currently on Regal Princess in Europe. Just looked at this thread to see what others are saying about the Medallion App. I can say that the App worked fine for getting me to Green lane status and boarding the ship successfully. Then it all went wrong. Everyday something fails to work properly. Or it crashes. Or you can’t go to things you want to do, which require prebooking. I have a newish IPhone and IPad with the latest IOS version and still everyday the ship has to send emails to IT to correct “coding errors” in the App.

Good luck

Guest Snaxmuppet
7 minutes ago, Lancky said:

Currently on Regal Princess in Europe. Just looked at this thread to see what others are saying about the Medallion App. I can say that the App worked fine for getting me to Green lane status and boarding the ship successfully. Then it all went wrong. Everyday something fails to work properly. Or it crashes. Or you can’t go to things you want to do, which require prebooking. I have a newish IPhone and IPad with the latest IOS version and still everyday the ship has to send emails to IT to correct “coding errors” in the App.

Good luck

Sorry to hear of your experience.

Just to put a bit of a balanced view on it... we had 4 days on Sky and everything worked perfectly once we were on board. I guess it might be the luck of the draw on this.

11 hours ago, Thrak said:

Please pay attention to what is actually said.

Thank you for your pedantic comment.

No one at princess was responsible for developing the actual medallion.

I read which, but have forgotten, which contract electronics company created the medallion...

This makes sense.   You need engineers skilled in radio transmission to get the BLE device

certified by the FCC.

If I have some time, I will try and find the company name.

But, like most gentle readers, I group the medallion and the medallion app together.

I think even princess does.  Calling it the medallion experience.

And, if you recall, the medallion was not without it's shortcommings when it initially went to sea.

People couldn't reliably open their cabin doors with the medallion.

Princess had forgotten that ships were made of metal, etc.

Edited by Roberto256

11 hours ago, Thrak said:

Please pay attention to what is actually said. The Medallion does indeed do exactly what it is intended to do. The MedallionClassApp is where the issue lies. The Medallion seems to work pretty darn well from what I've read on these forums.

I found the information for you.

the medallion was developed by a company called nytec.

There are plenty of press releases about carnival and nytec working together.

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2017/01/05/1083943/0/en/Nytec-Designed-and-Engineered-Technology-that-Brings-Carnival-Corporation-Ocean-Medallion-TM-Wearable-and-Network-of-Intelligent-Sensors-to-Life.html

And, "it's a small world after all" is not just a disney ride.

Accenture buys nytec.

https://aithority.com/news/accenture-to-acquire-nytec-and-enhance-connected-experience/

So, your point is that the medallions made by someone else are fine, 

while the app, made by the global innovators ... which John Padgett was leading ... less fine?

17 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

From reports, I don't think the App adversely impacts the on-board experience other than when DMW is failing guests.

Seems to me that during an 18 month period of basically no income followed by another year or more of reduced income spending funds on a project that offers little in financial return is a terrible business decision and is being rewarded by a promotion. Corporate execs need to spot projects headed in the wrong direction or are not at the proper time, and stop them before they become overwhelming consumers of time and money.

Princess should have left all of the pre-cruise  and dining procedures as they were. Just implement on board stuff such as Ocean Now.  Believe most customers would have remained satisfied. 

• Like 3

I just can't help but be reminded of all the drama my wife was dealing with (her crazy mom) for our wedding. At the end, we were Husband and wife.

In the end, we will be on a lovely cruise ship with hardworking crew that are trying their best to make our time onboard comfortable and relaxing.

The last time I was on a cruise ship was in ~2012, before that, 1983.

So I will have all my paperwork, my Covid test results, and the knowledge that nobody I will interact with on this trip had anything to do with either the medallion or the app. 🙂

Edited by chshrkt
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, CruiseVA said:

<RANT ON>

This thread has become less than useless, it's just a bunch of people complaining with absolutely no real information, especially in regards to the App.

<RANT OFF>

Agree maybe time for a new Medallion Status thread. I also wonder why Medallion 2 thread is still on first page, it has been closed for a long time. I am sure most of its information is out of date.

6 hours ago, CruiseVA said:

<RANT ON>

This thread has become less than useless, it's just a bunch of people complaining with absolutely no real information, especially in regards to the App.

<RANT OFF>

If only there were some way to could exert control over which threads you read!

Personally, I think you will have much more success with that, than trying to control what others post.

• Like 2

Booked our embarkation group on the app some 5 weeks ago for our cruise that leaves next week. Got Group A - first group with a 11:45 - 12:15 time slot. 

Checked today - no embarkation booked at all, so had to start again!  Of course, all the early slots are now full, so we are in Group E, two hours later.

Rang Princess to complain - just a total waste of time. 

Not impressed at all ! 

Guest Snaxmuppet
On 10/14/2021 at 1:17 PM, CruiseVA said:

<RANT ON>

<RANT OFF>

Agreed. Turning off following.

All was fine until today. Leave in a week. First wanted to change our dining to table of 8 to 6. One of our friends had to cancel. When I tried to do this, it was so slow just getting to dining. When I  tried to make the change got the  white screen of death. Had to exit the appl.

When I went back in, I no longer had my boarding info with Group A  green lane. Then my personal info was disappearing. I did nothing and slowly the information reappeared. I am not going near that appl.until I have to put in the health info next week.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, san diego sue said:

All was fine until today. Leave in a week. First wanted to change our dining to table of 8 to 6. One of our friends had to cancel. When I tried to do this, it was so slow just getting to dining. When I  tried to make the change got the  white screen of death. Had to exit the appl.

When I went back in, I no longer had my boarding info with Group A  green lane. Then my personal info was disappearing. I did nothing and slowly the information reappeared. I am not going near that appl.until I have to put in the health info next week.

That was my same philosophy.  I was just "checking"...not entering anything new.  Lucky me...I am now in the blue lane because my credit card is not valid.  It doesn't expire until November.  I tried to enter another credit card.  No changes to lane status.  

Spoke to Live Chat.  She suggested that I delete app and reinstall.  Do you think I am going to do this at such a late date?  Not a chance.  I do have my Plan B with all printed documents.

So san diego sue...are we sailing together again or on different ships?

3 hours ago, charlesr1966 said:

How do you get to live chat. The recording said it's on Princess.com. I looked all over and couldn't find it. Called the telephone number and was on hold hor 45 minutes. Finally gave up 

It's in a black band at the very bottom of the screen. Blue button on black band.

BTW: some have reported that it simply isn't there...YMMV

2021-10-16_105255.png

Edited by JF - retired RRT