Ocean Medallion App - Part 3

margord

2 hours ago, cltnccruisers said:

I have never, ever been of fan of helpdesks like you seem to be experiencing.  In the woke environment I could be fired for my true feelings.  They are, frankly, idiots.

In my company we call it the "helpless desk"

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cltnccruisers said:

I have never, ever been of fan of helpdesks like you seem to be experiencing.  In the woke environment I could be fired for my true feelings.  They are, frankly, idiots.

I have posted this before, but I think it needs to be posted again.  It is over 20 years old, but still relevant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LLTsSnGWMI

46 minutes ago, joepeka said:

As did we when the help desk started up in our company 40 years ago! 😉

I don't think this is unique to any one company - I am retiring in November after 47 years and I really hope I don't have any system issue for the next few weeks

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gullgeorge said:

Hopefully Princess hasn't messed up the onboard experience. 

Happily, that seems to still be wonderful going by all the live reports from start-up voyage out of the USA.  Of course it helps when pax level is low and the crew all all eagerly back at work again.

1 hour ago, memoak said:

I don't think this is unique to any one company - I am retiring in November after 47 years and I really hope I don't have any system issue for the next few weeks

The person who moved our corporate helpdesk offshore bragged after a couple of years about the drop in calls.  That's only because the communication issues caused people to either find their own solution or live with the problem. 

2 hours ago, MJC said:

When I take a photo or try to upload a photo for the app, it always squishes it, whether I crop it to be a square or not, or even when I take a new photo directly for the app. Any photo tips?

Don’t bother too much about the photo.  I went to a lot of trouble getting a flattering picture then got to the terminal and they insisted on taking another to replace it, that one was not flattering!  I was not alone.  They didn’t seem to like anyone’s photo.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ProfMHC said:

Better to choose a profile picture you really like. That’s the one you’ll see at your door and around the ship.

My photo is my kitty right now. I thought I'd enjoy seeing her as my avatar when I go around the ship. But is that the one staff sees if I order drinks on the medallion?

36 minutes ago, MJC said:

My photo is my kitty right now. I thought I'd enjoy seeing her as my avatar when I go around the ship. But is that the one staff sees if I order drinks on the medallion?

No. They see your “security” photo which is a picture of you.  If they don’t like the one you take and upload in app before hand they will take one as you board (like they did before medallion). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, teenieleek said:

Don’t bother too much about the photo.  I went to a lot of trouble getting a flattering picture then got to the terminal and they insisted on taking another to replace it, that one was not flattering!  I was not alone.  They didn’t seem to like anyone’s photo.

The OP was writing about their Profile photo I believe and not the Security photo.  It's the former that goes squishy.

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

...Profile photo ... goes squishy.

It seemed to me that the app processes profile photos to seriously thin-i-fy the image, as if seen through some kind of funhouse mirror.  My analysis was that  Princess fielded too many customer complaints saying their photos made them look fat.

--Marne

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The frustration grows. With first  new cruise rapidly approaching (Nov 11) and reading that others have received their Medallions, I called the Princess help line, got transferred to the Medallion help line and then on to the Medallion chat line; I spent almost 6 hours working on the matter on Monday and each told me that there seems to be a problem on some apps. Of course I have deleted and re installed the app a minimum of ten times. BTW we also had a successful Medallion cruise prior to the Covid Pause. Yesterday I received a voice mail from Princess telling me that I needed to turn in some paperwork in order have to have green lane embarkation. "If you are having trouble entering please call 1-800-Princess".  OK I did that this morning for an hour only to be told, "It looks like you are having trouble with the App,  bring your paperwork to the pier". Right hand talk to the left hand!!!

32 minutes ago, Slyfox16 said:

How do you transfer the data from the Medallion app to the physical medallion?

You don't. None of your actual data is ever on the medallion or the app - when you enter data via the app it goes into a central Princess database, from which it gets copied to a database on the ship's computer right before sailaway. The medallion just has a unique ID that the ship's computer uses to lookup your data in its database.

7 hours ago, triple7tahoe said:

Right hand talk to the left hand!!!

Sadly, having someone call you, to tell you that you need to do something, and that something is exactly what you've been trying to do for the past 8 months, seems to be par for the course these days.

finnlayson-phone.jpg.3b7b0dae63cedaf787fc0322956e934f.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, marne-c said:

It seemed to me that the app processes profile photos to seriously thin-i-fy the image, as if seen through some kind of funhouse mirror.  My analysis was that  Princess fielded too many customer complaints saying their photos made them look fat.

They have to do something.

When the customer complains, they can't really say:

"Um ... it's not the picture."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Security photos work fine as long as you use the outline they offer to setup the pic. Profile photos have a weird problem like folks are complaining about here. The pic gets all squished and weird. Since it's not a "formal" pic and isn't used for ID I finally gave up and chose a profile pic that uploads fine. Of course it's not exactly a photo of me but it's a pic that works.

image.png.684d404aad04d5dc062df99c82f9ccf1.png

I really like that one. I do have another pig picture that I thought about using but decided against it in the end. I told my dentist he should put this on the wall in his office but he declined to do so.

image.png.fa2a90f7a7aa1adab2999d048fa13ce0.png

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/29/2021 at 9:01 AM, teenieleek said:

They accepted our security photos from couple years ago. My profile picture is a painting and DH used the dog.

14 hours ago, Thrak said:

Security photos work fine as long as you use the outline they offer to setup the pic. Profile photos have a weird problem like folks are complaining about here. The pic gets all squished and weird. Since it's not a "formal" pic and isn't used for ID I finally gave up and chose a profile pic that uploads fine. Of course it's not exactly a photo of me but it's a pic that works.

image.png.684d404aad04d5dc062df99c82f9ccf1.png

I really like that one. I do have another pig picture that I thought about using but decided against it in the end. I told my dentist he should put this on the wall in his office but he declined to do so.

image.png.fa2a90f7a7aa1adab2999d048fa13ce0.png

💖💗both of them!!

I was told by someone at Ocean Support to expect a major new release at the end of the year.  Sounds like Medallion is being essentially re-written.  They can't make it much worse.

She also confirmed that Ocean Ready will be back on the Web site soon.

• Like 1

As most of you know, I've spent months trying to get my credit card to be recognized by the app.

This is the error message I usually get:

IMG_7021.thumb.jpg.74440cc2b765009e2acdc32e98dd662f.jpg

Today I thought I'd give things one more try as the app asked me to sign in, when it usually automatically signs me in. I was hoping that someone behind the scenes had fiddled around and fixed things, but that was wishful thinking on my end. Here's the current error message:

IMG_7025.thumb.PNG.cf1db20c751f8643af443d1c5501f60c.PNG

Princess, you've failed yet again.

36 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

As most of you know, I've spent months trying to get my credit card to be recognized by the app.

This is the error message I usually get:

IMG_7021.thumb.jpg.74440cc2b765009e2acdc32e98dd662f.jpg

Today I thought I'd give things one more try as the app asked me to sign in, when it usually automatically signs me in. I was hoping that someone behind the scenes had fiddled around and fixed things, but that was wishful thinking on my end. Here's the current error message:

IMG_7025.thumb.PNG.cf1db20c751f8643af443d1c5501f60c.PNG

Princess, you've failed yet again.

When you look at your account…do you see the credit card stored under your name or your roommate?  If so, delete

the credit card and put it back in, and select the user box, to authorize them, if your traveling with someone.  A shaded box comes up to authorize users.

When you reenter the credit card only select the first box, not the shoreside box.  Maybe a glitch in the shoreside?

• Like 1