A valuable lesson …

Markmom18

Hi,

This week I was re-booking a twice COVID Cancelled cruise. I had the OG in March 2020, rebooked September 20.

On Friday I called to do new April 2022 Panorama cruise. This is my valuable lesson.  I will never rebook a cancelled cruise again. I WILL take the Refund instead.  By rebooking, I forfeited half the money I paid for the entire cruise! And I lost the $600 OBC.

I invited a (now ex) friend to join me. All I asked was she pay her own gratuities and taxes. Which she did. I have always figured I am penalized for booking a SOLO,  so most times I invite a person to join me. I already have paid 100% of the cruise, so why not have the company? I have in the past invited my Mom and close family friend on several cruises with me at no cost to them. Geez … it’s my Mom❣️

Anyway,  this was the 1st time I invited this woman on one of my cruises.  About 20 years ago,  our 2 families vacationed (land) together and it went just fine.

I guess I’m a dumb bunny for all these years regarding the fine print of Carnival contracts.  I didn’t have a clue she would receive half of MY dollars, that I paid for the cruise, and half the OBC I received for the Covid Cancellations.  Pretty shocked, but the Carnival Rep explained it step by step.

I had the option, after that March 2020 cancellation to get a total refund. Instead I took the OBC and did the re-book.   Therefore, LEGALLY the traveling companion will receive a future OBC of $300. The Carnival Rep said my only recourse is to work with the friend with getting the money back.   She has until December 31st 2022 to book a new cruise to receive the credit. Otherwise the OBC disappears.

The $$ for half the cruise cost? She will be receiving Carnival Gift Cards in the mail.

Thankfully my hubby stepped up and emailed her & reminded her she paid Zilch. At this point we have her word that she will forward the physical Carnival G.C. to us when she receives them.  🤷🏻‍♀️

My fault. I wanted to share my experience.

🛳🛳

Bobbi

Re-read my list here. We are now ex-friends, but this occurred during Covid -pre vaccine.
Totally unrelated to the news I received on Friday. 👍🏼

Edited by Markmom18
  • Like 1

That must have been very frustrating!  It sounds like when people book with a friend, then a refund is the best option.

All of my cancelled cruises have been with my husband, so I don't have any losses.  Thanks for posting this.  It will help other people in similar situations if their cruise is cancelled.

• Like 2

I've invited some other women with me who promised to pay their taxes and fees, and  most of the time they didnt and the cabin was on my account.

Last time my friend did pay taxes, but I had to get to hobby a certain time to pick her up and get a hotel I paid for. She says next time she wants rcl. Next time probably wouldn't happen tbh. Costs me extra time and extra money so I'm ready to cruise solo. I havent done solo in a while. And I havent made any offers to friends. 

I'm to the point I'd rather go solo and rcl gives solo more pts. Win win.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

That must have been very frustrating!  It sounds like when people book with a friend, then a refund is the best option.

All of my cancelled cruises have been with my husband, so I don't have any losses.  Thanks for posting this.  It will help other people in similar situations if their cruise is cancelled.

My husband and I have a booked/paid for Panorama September cruise, also with that Covid OBC. But, it’s looking more and more he can’t get away from work. We are long time owners of a small business. He just doesn’t feel comfy taking that week off of work just yet. 

So, half that $600 OBC will go to him, I’m assuming ??  I’m leaving the reservation as it is on the hope he can close the office. We just won’t know till the last minute. He wants me to go regardless.  So, if he can’t make it I get $300. At least this time the OBC stays in OUR family! 😁

Edited by Markmom18
  • Like 1

Just now, Markmom18 said:

My husband and I have a planned Panorama September cruise, with that Covid OBC. But, it’s looking more and more he can’t get away from work. We are long time owners of a small business. He just doesn’t feel comfy taking that week off of work just yet. 
  So, half that $600 OBC will go to him, I’m assuming ??  I’m leaving the reservation as it is on the hope he can close the office. We just won’t know till the last minute. He wants me to go regardless.  So, if he can’t make it I get $300. At Keats this time the OBC stays in OUR family! 😁

Just have him be a no show .. the obc will remain on the cruise.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

3 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I am planning on him being a No Show firefly. I’ll be able to keep it?? That’s excellent 😁👍🏼😁👍🏼

Edited by Markmom18
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also, no more freebies. I’m solo too! 

My Mom isn’t able to travel anymore, though I so wish she could. But, turning 84 and mentally it’s just too stressful for her to travel. ✈️🛳.

Oh, she still wants to, but my Dad is pointing out the obvious reality. This just breaks my heart … I want my old Mom back. 😢  It’s a slow process.

We last went together in Fall of 2019. We definitely knew it was the last, she said so too. 😔 But, sadly she forgot she felt that way ….

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xDisconnections said:

The credits follow the person in most sectors of the travel industry. Good luck.

Well, I assumed that since I paid for the whole thing … the down payment and the Easy Pay Pmt plan. And all under my name &  paid in full long before I asked her to join me,  damn It just never occurred to me she was entitled to half. 

But, I know now. 

I hope my posting will be helpful to other cruisers.

🛳🛳

Bobbi  

• Like 4

Thank you Bobbi, yes, indeed very helpful.

I had the same thing happen to me in reverse. 1st canceled cruise was booked with my exboyfriend. Only got $300.00 OBC. 2nd canceled cruise was booked solo and so I got the additional $300.00 OBC back on my 3rd booking on the Panorama on 9/18/21. Now that you mentioned this I will be sure not to invite anyone! 

like Firefly333 said, as long as your husband is a no show you are good to go with the OBC. And you’ll get his port fees as additional OBC as well.

Happy to hear about Mark getting his contact on Panorama BTW!

• Like 2

This is good to know.  As an often solo cruiser who sometimes invites friends, I'm fortunate that I've only had good luck so far.  For my September cruise, right now I'm solo with a TBD.  It's driving Carnival crazy my not naming the TBD.  I'm going to wait until they at least announce if it's sailing or not before I do anything.  (JH mentioned this morning he's not sure if the September sailings will be announced this week.  By the end of next week, as least Carnival's intentions will be made clearer.) 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Markmom18 said:

Also, no more freebies. I’m solo too! 

My Mom isn’t able to travel anymore, though I so wish she could. But, turning 84 and mentally it’s just too stressful for her to travel. ✈️🛳.

Oh, she still wants to, but my Dad is pointing out the obvious reality. This just breaks my heart … I want my old Mom back. 😢  It’s a slow process.

We last went together in Fall of 2019. We definitely knew it was the last, she said so too. 😔 But, sadly she forgot she felt that way ….

I'm so sorry... that's a hard time to go through.

I took my Mom, who has passed now, on a cruise to celebrate her retirement...it was the first for each of us and I would not trade one minute of it for anything. 

Glad you have those memories to cherish 🙂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sugar67 said:

Not anymore, her post states "ex friend"

Again, our friendship ending had other causes, and happened near the end of 2020.   I just found out about this financial situation this last Friday.

1 hour ago, ARcruisin2 said:

I'm so sorry... that's a hard time to go through.

I took my Mom, who has passed now, on a cruise to celebrate her retirement...it was the first for each of us and I would not trade one minute of it for anything. 

Glad you have those memories to cherish 🙂

Thank you .  It hurts because our son will be back to work onboard ships in November. Beyond loving to cruise , she 💖💖💖 cruising on her Grandsons ship. But, yes I have the memories and the photos with me for forever.

🪡 👶🏼👩🏻🧑🏼‍🦳🛳❤️

Edited by Markmom18
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, bdever said:

Thank you Bobbi, yes, indeed very helpful.

I had the same thing happen to me in reverse. 1st canceled cruise was booked with my exboyfriend. Only got $300.00 OBC. 2nd canceled cruise was booked solo and so I got the additional $300.00 OBC back on my 3rd booking on the Panorama on 9/18/21. Now that you mentioned this I will be sure not to invite anyone! 

like Firefly333 said, as long as your husband is a no show you are good to go with the OBC. And you’ll get his port fees as additional OBC as well.

Happy to hear about Mark getting his contact on Panorama BTW!

Now YES Mark getting to go back to cruising is the happy news here for sure😁😁.  

We had heard rumors that cruise ship employees were getting big raises for coming back to work on the ships. 😂😂  Not true.

But, hey, no cut in pay either. 🛳 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I've invited some other women with me who promised to pay their taxes and fees, and  most of the time they didnt and the cabin was on my account.

Last time my friend did pay taxes, but I had to get to hobby a certain time to pick her up and get a hotel I paid for. She says next time she wants rcl. Next time probably wouldn't happen tbh. Costs me extra time and extra money so I'm ready to cruise solo. I havent done solo in a while. And I havent made any offers to friends. 

I'm to the point I'd rather go solo and rcl gives solo more pts. Win win.

Lol....DH and I have discussed, if it ever comes a time when he cannot travel with me, I go solo.  No "other people's snoring", other people's meal time, other people's excursions....or other people's finances.  I don't think I'd even want "the other person" on the same ship unless they agreed that we're not tied at the hip.

@Markmom18Might be a good time to rekindle your friendship (if that's what you want).

Edited by MsTabbyKats
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MsTabbyKats said:

Lol....DH and I have discussed, if it ever comes a time when he cannot travel with me, I go solo.  No "other people's snoring", other people's meal time, other people's excursions....or other people's finances.  I don't think I'd even want "the other person" on the same ship unless they agreed that we're not tied at the hip.

Oh we werent tied to the hip and had no issues there. I'm just to the point if it causes me extra time and stress and I get nothing out of it but their company, it's not worth it. They should be saying let me buy you a drink, or whatever. Not nickle and dining me paying me back for their taxes and port fees. She had never cruised before and didnt like carnival much. Among other things she didnt like a roll call excursion. I never figured out why she was unhappy. The bus stopped at a grocery store and bought a lot of liquor and was generously passing some cinnamon red liquor up and down the isles and people got drunk and some were shouting ..having fun to me. I wanted to hold a sloth is why I went and I got to do what I wanted, who cares if others got drunk. A couple of other issues she didnt like. 

3 hours ago, Markmom18 said:

Now YES Mark getting to go back to cruising is the happy news here for sure😁😁.  

We had heard rumors that cruise ship employees were getting big raises for coming back to work on the ships. 😂😂  Not true.

But, hey, no cut in pay either. 🛳 

No cut in pay, but I believe you previously stated he will not be able to get off the ship in ports. I would consider that a loss of a valuable perk.

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

No cut in pay, but I believe you previously stated he will not be able to get off the ship in ports. I would consider that a loss of a valuable perk.

I just asked Mark. He said he thought that was still correct …. since he can’t wander off in Port.  

Again, he doesn’t start  till mid-November. Nothing seems to be written in stone yet, we’ll all be waiting. 

What can I say, non perks and all, he’s excited to get back to ships!!  He’s got to go to work somewhere & Carnival is his choice.  No job is perfect …. 🤷🏻‍♀️💙🛳

🛳🛳

Bobbi