Review: Adventure of the Seas - "Because this will NEVER happen again"

Thanks you for the review! 
Especially appreciate the update on how un-vaxxed minors are impacting the experience. We'll be sailing with 2 later in the year so using your trip as the "worst case scenario" for them.

The confusion around the bracelet is RCL 100% in a nutshell! And the tour situation is not ideal but I'm loving the way you're rolling with the punches, good for you guys!

• Like 1

Day 2 --  The Perfect Day

IMG_6526.thumb.JPG.fbc6bbadce9cecec612ea0a162ba1d6a.JPG

Lets face it company's sell the sizzle, not the steak.... and royal had served up a big fat juicy piece of sizzle with Coco Cay.

In all my years of cruising I have never once been here.  It just never happened for some reason.   Likely because I'm not a big fan of the Bahamas so tend to avoid sailings there... 

But when Royal created "Perfect Day", oh I bit.   I admit I was hesitant at first... waterslides, big deal.   But when they kept building, well  They got my attention.  The place just looked amazing.  Not to mention it was someplace new, a rarity among cruise vets.

Cue the pandemic, and well as a family we started watching youtube videos of all things CocoCay, dreaming of the day we could finally get there.

IMG_6522.thumb.JPG.4ac78d402e2cc1f6731b18de5ae9f173.JPG

So yes opening the curtains to our aft balcony and seeing this... well it was well.... PERFECT.

My wife is an early bird,  in bed at 9pm  awake at 6am.  I'll sleep til noon if you let me.    Today she wasn't letting me. 

IMG_6513.thumb.JPG.a75b0d2fe5d4d2232649fee8a089c6f2.JPG

We all enjoyed breakfast on the balcony that morning getting a birds eye view of the island. 

Speaking of birds....   be warned coco cay has some seriously aggressive seagulls.  They were on our balcony fighting for a bite of breakfast. It was crazy.

205124284_10227075261891403_6474962663123431754_n.thumb.jpg.2b5f3b6fe7d52470ddcc403268ec0751.jpg

We took it as a cue to get out of there and head to shore.... i was thrilled the sun was shining as the two previous cruises had rainy visits to the island, but all we had was a rainbow.

IMG_6528.thumb.JPG.e77735b1f2925d6b09997b14e76a7d35.JPG

We had tickets to Thrill Park today.   While so many reviewers said, go early and beat the crowds, we only had 950 guests on the ship (give or take 50 depending on which sources number you were using)  We set up shop at the wave pool.   Picked some chairs for the group, and jumped into the pool.

IMG_6524.thumb.JPG.148bc2df511875db8e105147e190d72b.JPG

Our excitement for the slides had waned as we walked in.  When you see just how tall they are....  especially the one that goes straight down,  well..... "nevermind"  really sets in.    

The wave pool was perfect though.   Just enough wave action to be thrilling and give you excitement, but not enough where you're worried about your safety.   We had a lot of fun jumping the waves and hanging out.

IMG_6533.thumb.JPG.cd143db033b439414fe532a8da050b9f.JPG

IMG_6534.thumb.JPG.3c94229aea37838580b1f0861df3bb06.JPG

We mixed in some bar service while the kids played.... and then got  repeat visitors..... the seagulls!!!   They were like little vultures for food.   we had to hide everything from them and shoo them away.    But honestly, it was no big deal, we had fun, and water and it just felt nice.

My kids finally talked me into the slides,  I mean afteralll  I had seen all those videos I needed to go through the colorful slide and I did.  I picked the twister.  It was good and super fun.    My girls did the slingshot, and all came back saying it was terrifying.... but most (not my youngest)  wanted to do it again. 

We spent the morning here through midday before needing something more.... so we went out to explore.... after our little one helped clean up.
205834536_10227075266331514_7220625370711416008_n.thumb.jpg.2954440ddf2b922c4958292fe37253ad.jpg

The guys from our friends in Memphis had skipped the waterpark.   We found them in Oasis Lagoon having the time of their life.  The dad is a non drinker like me, and he had several drinks in front of him and a huge smile on his face. lol

204742824_10227075272771675_4344820921269805324_n.thumb.jpg.d07d4388b880af7b6cebb667eaa2b2f2.jpg

We all got in and hung out.  The DJ was amazing, great music was pumping, it wasn't too hot, but the sun was blaring, and the water felt great.

The floor on the bottom of the lagoon pool was also this soft flexible material that we all talked about having installed at our pools at home!   lol

IMG_6536.thumb.JPG.3f72174c499f722c3113ba534d2d9d70.JPG

We all stood and sang and laughed and talked.... and kept calling it "a perfect day"

It truly was. 

The kids were swimming, we were laughing, and we just soaked it all in  from 7 year old to college kid  to old farts like me.   We all loved our afternoon in the oasis lagoon. 

We met other cruisers, and some bartenders who just were keeping us going.

Eventually our time here was coming to an end and it was time to head back to the ship.

I left a little early to take my daughter to splashaway bay where we were totally alone and got drenched with water.  I was laughing and laughing. 

1495802589_Screenshot2021-07-071_48_44PM.png.d839d01bb22ac2d7ab7bca748e3b3bf6.png

We got back just in time to do some drunken dancing with an junkanoo dancers before heading back to the ship, convinced royal caribbean hadn't sold me sizzle, this steak at pure chops filet mignon.   

200708943_10227075246731024_8899543609566425015_n.jpg.51951cf6202760d4b132a344305edd6e.jpg

Up Next --- Coco Beach Club!
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 1

On 7/5/2021 at 6:33 PM, Sea Dog said:

@RCCL Fan Wow what a great read and story. Boy do I feel your pain. Sounds like you handled the pressure beautifully, and yes needed a cocktail in the end. My guess it will take Royal some time to iron out the kinks. It’s interesting in that several Royal people could not decide what are the protocols. I imagine you will not be the only one to experience the new normal in cruising. Can’t wait to hear about your experience at Coco Cay. I’m going to go out on limb and bet  you loved every minute of it as I did. 
Cheers Greg the Sea Dog

Good assumption my friend!

• Like 1

@RCCL Fan Brilliant ! You are a better man than me. I don't know if I could do the slide. I did one at a water park on St. Louis (the one where the bottom drops out from under you) and got a rush a water through my nose and  I thought I was going to drown. So happy it was a perfect day for you. Bonus points for having the whole island to yourself. Cheers, looking forward to more of your great writing style.

Greg

26 minutes ago, RCCL Fan said:

CocoCay, dreaming of the day we could finally get there.

You should have gone in the old days when it was a hidden paradise.  No big crowds because they tendered, lots of critters in the ocean and total solitude if you wanted it.  I admit I like it now, but back then it seemed a lot more special.  They cut down this beauty to put in the Beach Club, this was South Beach back then,  

North Side of CocoCay.JPG

• Like 7

17 hours ago, Baowen said:

I've had 1388 and 1688 a few times. They are great rooms and I always try to book them if its an option  !  I like that the balcony wraps around.

Same for 7388, we loved it and our buds were in 1688 and we secretly spanned the distance on the forbidden crew stairs that comes out right at the room rather than going the long walk to center elevators.  OK flame on for being naughty...........BTW looks like some good moves man! 

flame suit.jpg

Edited by BecciBoo

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

@RCCL Fan Brilliant ! You are a better man than me. I don't know if I could do the slide. I did one at a water park on St. Louis (the one where the bottom drops out from under you) and got a rush a water through my nose and  I thought I was going to drown. So happy it was a perfect day for you. Bonus points for having the whole island to yourself. Cheers, looking forward to more of your great writing style.

Greg

I did a slide like that on the Breakaway and thought I was going to die!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BecciBoo said:

Same for 7388, we loved it and our buds were in 1688 and we secretly spanned the distance on the forbidden crew stairs that comes out right at the room rather than going the long walk to center elevators.  OK flame on for being naughty...........BTW looks like some good moves man! 

flame suit.jpg

I know the stairs you are talking about. I have used them many times before.  Try not to get caught!!😵

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/4/2021 at 6:27 PM, RCCL Fan said:

IMG_6408.thumb.JPG.a528193c1ffbd050dede02e58f92e101.JPG

Wait, Mike Love?  From the Beach Boys?  😁  Great pictures and great review.  I have tears in my eyes  just reading this, can't wait to see the rest. I just wanted to make a gentle reminder to other readers that it is not necessary to quote an entire, lengthy post, with multiple pictures, just to make a one sentence comment.  The Delete key is your friend.  😜

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

flame suit.jpg

I'm told they go all the way to the Jammer 😇

16 hours ago, Baowen said:

I know the stairs you are talking about. I have used them many times before.  Try not to get caught!!😵

I used the stairs once for muster drill and got scolded for using them. I told the crew member that the evacuation sign on my door told me that this is the route I'm supposed to use so I wanted to become familiar with the route.

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

19 hours ago, RCCL Fan said:

Good assumption my friend!

I have a question for you.  I have read your review and loved following you on this journey.  But can I ask 1 - did you have to pay for and fill out the Bahama Health Form before you got to Nassau?  and 2 - it was rumored that Royal was going to put the cost of the Form on your account as OBC.  Did that happen?  Thanks

Edited by karena1

45 minutes ago, karena1 said:

I have a question for you.  I have read your review and loved following you on this journey.  But can I ask 1 - did you have to pay for and fill out the Bahama Health Form before you got to Nassau?  and 2 - it was rumored that Royal was going to put the cost of the Form on your account as OBC.  Did that happen?  Thanks

Karena, I am sailing out on Saturday so can answer this for you. Yes all passengers have to do the Bahamas Health Visa. There may be exceptions for under 12. I cannot remember. For those over 12, it is $40 a person for the Visa. Royal is not giving OBC for it. It is a very easy process with a quick turn around time. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the report. We made Coco Cay only once back in the day of tendering. It was lovely then, but my sister made the new one in Sept. of 2019 and had a ball. We we are sailing Oct. 2 out of Miami and it will be on the stops. Your report is getting me excited. Thanks for sharing your adventure.

1 hour ago, pezruthroy said:

Karena, I am sailing out on Saturday so can answer this for you. Yes all passengers have to do the Bahamas Health Visa. There may be exceptions for under 12. I cannot remember. For those over 12, it is $40 a person for the Visa. Royal is not giving OBC for it. It is a very easy process with a quick turn around time. 

Thanks, that is what I needed.  So just waiting to see if we will still need it for August.  Did you get your Covid test first and then upload that along with your vaccine card when you filled out the application?

7 minutes ago, karena1 said:

Thanks, that is what I needed.  So just waiting to see if we will still need it for August.  Did you get your Covid test first and then upload that along with your vaccine card when you filled out the application?

@karena1, I believe the current protocol for the Bahamas Visa is Vaccinated do NOT have to test, but RCL is requiring PCR test to cruise for Adventure sailings which you show at check in at the Hilton.

Sorry, as this is taking detour discussion but I wanted to clarify for last reply

Edited by wallyj
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, wallyj said:

@karena1, I believe the current protocol for the Bahamas Visa is Vaccinated do NOT have to test, but RCL is requiring PCR test to cruise for Adventure sailings which you show at check in at the Hilton.

okay so for the health form all we need is our vaccine card, but need to upload the negative Covid test when doing the health form for Royal or show it when we get there.  Got it.

August 14th cannot come soon enough - so ready to FINALLY cruise again!!!

Edited by karena1

19 minutes ago, karena1 said:

okay so for the health form all we need is our vaccine card, but need to upload the negative Covid test when doing the health form for Royal or show it when we get there.  Got it.

August 14th cannot come soon enough - so ready to FINALLY cruise again!!!

It gets confusing. For the health visa, if everyone is vaccinated, you just need to upload your vaccine card.  I cannot speak to non vaccinated as that is not my group.  Currently for Royal you do also have to have a negative PCR test (printed) 5 days prior to your arrival in the Bahamas. So I leave tomorrow, this is what I have in my folder of documents: Passport, Vaccine Card, Print Out Bahamas Health Visa, Print out PCR test. 

2 minutes ago, pezruthroy said:

It gets confusing. For the health visa, if everyone is vaccinated, you just need to upload your vaccine card.  I cannot speak to non vaccinated as that is not my group.  Currently for Royal you do also have to have a negative PCR test (printed) 5 days prior to your arrival in the Bahamas. So I leave tomorrow, this is what I have in my folder of documents: Passport, Vaccine Card, Print Out Bahamas Health Visa, Print out PCR test. 

Sounds good.  So if we leave on Sat, I will need to have the PCR test at least by Tuesday?  Is it no more than 5 days?

17 minutes ago, karena1 said:

Sounds good.  So if we leave on Sat, I will need to have the PCR test at least by Tuesday?  Is it no more than 5 days?

So this has been a big topic of conversation. I think some folks have said (with confirmation from RCL) that testing day is day zero so Monday is fine.  We did Tuesday just to be safe. We got tested at CVS on Tuesday at 10. We got our results at around 1:30 yesterday. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

You should have gone in the old days when it was a hidden paradise.  No big crowds because they tendered, lots of critters in the ocean and total solitude if you wanted it.  I admit I like it now, but back then it seemed a lot more special.  They cut down this beauty to put in the Beach Club, this was South Beach back then,  

North Side of CocoCay.JPG

Oct. will be my first trip back to Coco Cay since Sept 2000 (Sovereign). I think I am a little sad with what they did it it. But I am sure I will somehow manage to enjoy myself.

• Like 1

What a great review so far. We are also from the metroplex (Flower Mound) and are currently sailing on Adventure.

Every restaurant we saw in the Fish Fry was open. We did walk down there with our unvaxxed little people. We passed maybe 5 people along the way and ate outside away from others and when we weren’t eating we had masks on so we felt safe. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CSHS1979 said:

I'm told they go all the way to the Jammer 😇

In the past I've take said stairs from a similar room directly into the windjammer to get my morning meal, and bring back down to the room.  I was so tempted to do it this time.... but with them being strict about contact tracing who's going in and out of there. I decided to follow the rules.   

• Like 6
  • Haha 2