Are you going to be giving more & bigger tips on your upcoming cruises?

1 hour ago, florida eagle said:

Another angle. I am a grandfather. Probably no cruises with grandchildren for a few years. If you bring a couple of pre school children older then two and younger then first grade should you pay gratuities?  I do not believe the mom would bring them on younger as one is not born yet. p.s....I would still have to be alive when this happens.

Kids should be charged full fee. They are generally messy😉

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dat Cruisin Couple said:

We plan on tipping more and spreading it around more since the people making our vacation 1) are dealing with smaller tip pools because of fewer passengers 2) they have probably suffered more with being out of their jobs for 16 months that those of us hopping on ships as soon as we can.

I certainly do but don't begrudge anyone who doesn't plan on it.  I know I have been tipping better in restaurants.  I'm just thankful that some people are going back to work.  Out here in CA, restaurants are all complaining that they can't hire or get employees to come back because of the enhanced unemployment benefits.  I just want to reward those that want to work. I'll certainly be doing the same on a ship.

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

bs, imho.

even the libraries, DMVs, SSA offices, schools, restaurants, workplaces, etc. were closed, but you wanted cruises with 9,000 people to keep sailing during the pandemic? And that's after a bunch of people died on the Diamond Princess? And with millions dead worldwide, including 2 of my YOUNG relatives?

that's insane.

P.S. Some of the huge outbreaks in my state was in a middle of nowhere counties far from any metro areas. When one looked into it, it was clear that the outbreaks were among the meat plants, where workers work shoulder to shoulder in pretty cramped conditions. If you think of the cruse ship workers who work in similar conditions and not only about the customers having fun by the pool, you will hopefully realize that cruises could not continue to operate during the pandemic.

It should’ve been their decision to shut down and reopen….not someone telling them they have to.

57 minutes ago, Dat Cruisin Couple said:

I hadn't really thought about that, fewer people to split the tips/gratuities. +1

The early cruises out appear to have a full load of crew so this isn't a really a thing.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

I don't know though it would be a cute idea giving $2 bills.

Actually it is one of the dumbest things to do.

It is difficult for staff because many stores don't won't take them. 

Many cashiers think they are fake because they never seen them.

They don't have time to go to the bank and get them exchanged.

I have a clever idea.   On my next cruise I am going to give "rolls of pennies"  instead of bills.    I bet the staff would love that..

s-l1000 (1).jpg

What a dumb comment.  I have never had Any issue with two dollar bills and no store has ever refused them.  

Edited by MikeBayAreaCa
  • Like 7

21 minutes ago, RedIguana said:

Which government was incompetent? The US? The Trump admin? The Biden admin? What part of government do you not like? Common money? A legal system? The ability to own land? The ability to open a business? Roads, police, fire, schools, building codes? The ability to take a cruise? Internet?  Safe food and water? Please get a little education if you are capable.

thanks but my education level is just fine.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MikeBayAreaCa said:

What a dumb comment.  I have never had Any issue with two dollar bills and no store has ever refused them.  

Handing out 2 dollar bills isn’t just dumb, it’s stupid, not cute, and overdone. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Sam Ting said:

Handing out 2 dollar bills isn’t just dumb, it’s stupid, not cute, and overdone. 

We obviously have different opinions on that.

The last time I checked a two dollar bill is worth two dollars.   

Edited by MikeBayAreaCa
  • Like 7

We always tip well and will continue to.

As for $2 bills there have been reports of crew not liking them because they can be hard to use.  Even harder in other countries that normally take US dollars.    While people consider it unique to give $2 bills and dollar coins, the crew just wants cash and they're not looking for cute or unique.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BND said:

We always tip well and will continue to.

As for $2 bills there have been reports of crew not liking them because they can be hard to use.  Even harder in other countries that normally take US dollars.    While people consider it unique to give $2 bills and dollar coins, the crew just wants cash and they're not looking for cute or unique.

And those rumored reports are where?

1 minute ago, MikeBayAreaCa said:

And those rumored reports are where?

In the past they have been on CC on the many, many, many other tipping threads.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BND said:

In the past they have been on CC on the many, many, many other tipping threads.

I’ll take your word for it.  On my next cruise I ‘ll

ask the crew members how they feel about it.  None have ever said anything before.  

• Like 1

Just now, MikeBayAreaCa said:

I’ll take your word for it.  On my next cruise I ‘ll

ask the crew members how they feel about it.  None have ever said anything before.  

I honestly don't care.  I was just reporting what I have seen and read on here.  And, from the above post, I am not the only one.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MikeBayAreaCa said:

We obviously have different opinions on that.

The last time I checked a two dollar bill is worth two dollars.   

Are you aware that coins, unlike bills, do not say legal tender😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I came to read as I always wonder who would post in public how they tip. Seems odd. A private thing.

I will share.

I was on the 1st Adventure of the Seas cruise out of Nassau (June 12th).

I prepaid gratuities and left them in place.

On top of that I gave the following tips on the ship:

$100 to my head waiter

$100 to my assistant waiter

$50 to the hostess that took care of me all week long

$100 to my room steward

I gave these all on the last day of the cruise.

I also gave $5-10 tips on a few occasions where I used bar service for soda as well as milkshake and ice cream purchases.

This is pretty much double what I normally give in addition to the automatic gratuities.

Yes, I did give more because they crew has been out for so long and there were less passengers on the ship.

The crew treated us like royalty anyway but they really did appreciate the extra tips.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I have tipped a little extra at the local restaurants and bars. I have slipped tips to people who are not really supposed to accept tips but have provided me with a service. I will continue doing a little bit more on a cruise or land... 
The other thing we do every cruise, and have done so on land vacations too is to give the Room Attendant a couple/few days off... We let him/her know we don't want them to clean the room, make the bed or do anything other than leave us the daily stuff on the desk for us. It's not much but some really appreciate the thought and the time. 

I am capable of cleaning my room!! and if I am not, what the hell did I do to make such a mess?!?!?!? lol 

To the original question… yes. We will be paying more.  Life has been simply disrupted a bit for some, others have truly suffered the last 16 months.  At the same time covid hit, our family also had a very serious cancer diagnosis that put us in complete isolation for over a year.   We were absolutely blessed by the kindness and generosity of others and we have every intention of paying it forward.  

• Like 6

I'm going to say that I will do as I always do.  I prepay my tips and leave it alone.  Than on anything that 18% is charged, I will not tip extra.  I will not tip longshoreman on the dock.  The amounts are customary amounts.  I find no need to tip extra unless in the very rare case where someone blows my mind with the services they gave me.  The only other reason, is in the case of free drinks, like the Diamond Lounge, than I put money into the jar.  

• Like 1