Long walk from cab drop off to port terminal?

KKB

My mother is meeting me for the 2nd leg of my B2B. She is 76 & gets along well but can get winded on long walks these days.

It doesn’t SEEM like there is far from cab area to the terminal—is it?

if it is, does Celebrity have golf carts readily available to help? (I’ve seen them on ports).

If so, how would she flag one down?

3 minutes ago, KKB said:

My mother is meeting me for the 2nd leg of my B2B. She is 76 & gets along well but can get winded on long walks these days.

It doesn’t SEEM like there is far from cab area to the terminal—is it?

if it is, does Celebrity have golf carts readily available to help? (I’ve seen them on ports).

If so, how would she flag one down?

What port and what cruise line?

• Like 1

Walk is not too long. Hopefully not too hot and sunny or raining and she does not  have a big carry on bag.

We actually  prefer taking a cab or shuttle to EDGE compared to self parking..That involves a long walk .

Much easier with taxi drop off.

For disembark  it is a much  longer walk to cab line.  We   grab a porter. They will take your bags , expedite  the   customs line...and get you to the taxi line quickly.

You might still consider wheel chair service 

Enjoy!

You need to consider the trip from the taxi to the ship, not just the terminal.  From the terminal to the ship is often a series of "uphill" switchbacks (is that the right word?) made more difficult by carrying luggage/carryons, heat and humidity, crowds, etc.  especially after a flight. I'd recommend a porter with a wheelchair.   

Ps..once dropped off there is a walk into the terminal,  possible long boarding  line, escalator or stairs to go up to boarding area.... and a steep incline  to walk onto the ship... so on further reflection..pre order the wheelchair.

If she's in  suite.. diff process may apply

3 minutes ago, hcat said:

Walk is not too long. Hopefully not too hot and sunny or raining and she does not  have a big carry on bag.

We actually  prefer taking a cab or shuttle to EDGE compared to self parking..That involves a long walk .

Much easier with taxi drop off.

For disembark  it is a much  longer walk to cab line.  We   grab a porter. They will take your bags , expedite  the   customs line...and get you to the taxi line quickly.

You might still consider wheel chair service 

Enjoy!

There was no customs line on our return to Port Everglades.  

14 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

What port and what cruise line?

OH, gees...trying to get TOO much done before a 640AM flight tomorrow...

Fort Lauderdale. Celebrity (thought that one was obvious...)

14 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

If it is Port Everglades the walk is not too long and there are porters to meet the taxis. She can request that the driver drop her off as close to the entrance as possible and give a good tip for the service.  

Good tip--tho she will need to check her suitcase with the porters.

I will visit with her today. I have a feeling her pride may get in the way of a wheelchair.

But a long walk may change her mind...

She has cruised many times & should be aware of the walk into the ship but I will remind her.

Luckily her mobility is still good but health issues the last 5 months have limited her exercise so she admits she isn't in as good of shape as she was.

This trip is for HER. So we will go at HER pace.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KKB said:

I will visit with her today. I have a feeling her pride may get in the way of a wheelchair.

She has cruised many times & should be aware of the walk into the ship but I will remind her.

Luckily her mobility is still good but health issues the last 5 months have limited her exercise so she admits she isn't in as good of shape as she was.

I hope that you both have an uneventful check in and have a wonderful cruise!

14 hours ago, keesar said:

There was no customs line on our return to Port Everglades.  

Really,  so another step that slows things down  for everyonec is eliminated.  No one stops at the little booths anymore?

That,s good to know..

2 minutes ago, hcat said:

Really,  so another step that slows things down  for everyonec is eliminated.  No one stops at the little booths anymore?

That,s good to know..

They are using facial recognition is my understanding.

49 minutes ago, KKB said:

There will be porters near the entrance.  If you both have cell phones and Celebrity is giving transit passes for B2B cruisers you could meet her outside the terminal.

33 minutes ago, KKB said:

They are using facial recognition is my understanding.

Just make sure all the necessary check-in documents have been completed. That speeds up the process. When entering the terminal, the suite guests go to the left.  Others proceed ahead and will be greeted by an agent.  Everything is done via iPad.  Pictures will be taken, medical questions, etc.  Then you proceed onto the ship.  Everyone take your time getting on the ship as there is plenty of food for all.

We had facial recognition when leaving the ship and it was super easy leaving the terminal.  

39 minutes ago, keesar said:

Just make sure all the necessary check-in documents have been completed. That speeds up the process. When entering the terminal, the suite guests go to the left.  Others proceed ahead and will be greeted by an agent.  Everything is done via iPad.  Pictures will be taken, medical questions, etc.  Then you proceed onto the ship.  Everyone take your time getting on the ship as there is plenty of food for all.

We had facial recognition when leaving the ship and it was super easy leaving the terminal.  

Gee  we  had the  facial recog on our last EDGE cruise but still went through the booth..very quick stop but a line up nonetheless!  Fewer lines...better flow.

We still get a porter if  taking a taxi.

4 hours ago, KKB said:

I have a breathing condition where I get very winded when walking any distance - especially in humid conditions.  I cruise very frequently and I always like to walk (at my own pace) to embark and disembark the ship.  However, for my Edge sailing from Fort Lauderdale I did not request a wheelchair to embark the ship and I really wish I had.  It's quite a long walk - and it seems like I was constantly walking "uphill".  By the time I actually got on the ship I was quite winded and needed my rescue inhaler.  I definitely requested a wheelchair when we disembarked in Fort Lauderdale at the end of the cruise (it was a very long walk - much longer than the walk to embark -- if I were to guess I would say the walk to your luggage when you disembark is at least 1/2 mile.)  

I understand your comment about pride getting in the way.  But I now know enough to put my pride aside and ask for a wheelchair when embarking the Edge in Fort Lauderdale!  Hopefully your mom will do the same.

Edited by jcpc
  • Like 1

On 7/21/2021 at 8:47 PM, JFontaine said:

You need to consider the trip from the taxi to the ship, not just the terminal.  From the terminal to the ship is often a series of "uphill" switchbacks (is that the right word?) made more difficult by carrying luggage/carryons, heat and humidity, crowds, etc.  especially after a flight. I'd recommend a porter with a wheelchair.   

EXCELLENT tip!

On 7/21/2021 at 5:47 PM, JFontaine said:

Absolutely,  call special needs at Celebrity.  The issue is not getting the 50' to the terminal but long lines and distance to the ship.  A wheelchair will bypass most of the line to check in.

On 7/22/2021 at 11:44 PM, Arizona Wildcat said:

Absolutely,  call special needs at Celebrity.  The issue is not getting the 50' to the terminal but long lines and distance to the ship.  A wheelchair will bypass most of the line to check in.

Thanks.  Didnt know there was a special needs department.   Now the trick will be finding their number.  If anyone has an easy way to reach them...please post.