Anyone else reevaluating?

MsTabbyKats

3 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Just FYI for future reference & others considering ... personally, I would not consider plans to cruise to Bermuda at this point as the timing and timeline is just awful.  

Urgent Care centers in NYC's outer boroughs can do PCR testings within 1 to 4 days, like this one

https://www.healthneeduc.com/service/covid

in downtown Flushing, NY (close enough to both LGA and JFK airports, used for outbound int'l travelers from what I know ... not an endorsement or approval on our part, just that extended families work for global airlines and ...)  PCR anigen testing fee is $100 per test, and testing is free with most insurance - subject to coverage, co-pay & deductibles, etc. (check with your plan for details) and there is a direct link to what plans are accepted/eligible.  

From midtown Manhattan, it is a quick 45 minutes ride via the #7 subway line out to the last stop in downtown Flushing (Queens) and a short 1 block walk to Queens Crossing, a modern & new multi-use mall, shopping & food court and medical offices & labs, etc. to get the tests done - open 7 days a week, 9 am to 6 pm daily and no appointments needed.   

Walgreens and CVS do testing nationwide for free. I got a PCR test at Walgreens last Wednesday and had my results in exactly 48 hours. Since Bermuda requires testing 4 days prior to sailing (Wednesday for a Sunday Cruise), should definitely have results back in time to get them uploaded to the travel authorization application outside of the 24 hours required for approval.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MsTabbyKats said:

There's a place on Madison & 90th....friend got the PCR there and results really fast (in a couple of hours). (madisonrapid.com).  But the website says "allow 3 days".

Anyway....I think "going to Bermuda" depends on how important cruising is to you.  For me, it's not worth "the stress" of jumping thru hoops.  Bermuda during hurricane season, by boat....just in itself is a turnoff.  I can take "that money not spent" and have a "staycation" every day for a week.

Not to get into "the whys"...but I'd be surprised if these Bermuda sailings actually happen. 

When I called my TA to cancel today, she told me she'd just gotten off the phone with a guy who was travelling tomorrow and hadn't gotten his paper work back from a covid test. That's all I had to hear to cinch the deal. I live a 15 minute walk from the piers and if things change and there's room, I'll book what's left. Currently the piers are fenced and locked and I hope the Port Authority opens for the first BA trip out on 9/26. With the Delta variant running wild, time will tell. CityMD told me 3-5 days for results.....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The P said:

When I called my TA to cancel today, she told me she'd just gotten off the phone with a guy who was travelling tomorrow and hadn't gotten his paper work back from a covid test. That's all I had to hear to cinch the deal. I live a 15 minute walk from the piers and if things change and there's room, I'll book what's left. Currently the piers are fenced and locked and I hope the Port Authority opens for the first BA trip out on 9/26. With the Delta variant running wild, time will tell. CityMD told me 3-5 days for results.....

Crystal is sailing out of NYC a couple days before NCL, so hopefully the pier will be open for them!

I'm getting more and more likely to not make final payments on several upcoming cruises.  Just tired of the whole mess and never really knowing what protocols may be imposed at the last minute.  I was careful to keep all our plans totally refundable.  As someone else said, anticipation has now become annoyance and anxiety.  We like to cruise but we're not desperate about it.   

• Like 6

It's about making life choices, why sweat and worry about it ... when there are alternatives and options, as we do.  Land-based vacations, load it up, fuel up and drive ... no need to wear a mask, except in certain crowded places - extended stay, fully equipped studio/junior/bedroom suites with most amenities, kitchen and grocery/meals delivered or takeout, reheated as needed.  Freshly steamed New England lobsters - 1.75 lbs+ per person and clambake.  No butler services or concierge, however 😉

Given the madness of inflated prices of cruising - repacking and heading out of town this weekend, again - just not to our favorite nearby Manhattan Cruise Terminal at Pier 88/90, which is a quick 20 - 25 minutes away on most weekend mornings.  No need to worry about the tropical storm and hurricane watches or warnings.  

Why sweat, it is what it is - there is always staycation.  Relax and cheers ! 

20210720_145048_055100.jpg

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CruizinKittie40 said:

I am booked on NCL and they do not require face coverings while on board. 

Unfortunately there are no guarantees at this point. Look at the Carnival Vista just last week. Passengers boarded with no mask requirement but the Captain made a mandatory mask rule on Wednesday in the middle of the voyage. Same thing happend to a Royal Caribbean ship a few weeks ago. Flexibility is key right now.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Unfortunately there are no guarantees at this point. Look at the Carnival Vista just last week. Passengers boarded with no mask requirement but the Captain made a mandatory mask rule on Wednesday in the middle of the voyage. Same thing happend to a Royal Caribbean ship a few weeks ago. Flexibility is key right now.

I'm good either way I just want to get on a boat!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

] Land-based vacations, load it up, fuel up and drive ... no need to wear a mask, except in certain crowded places

My 80 year old grandmother caught COVID a couple of weeks ago at a local restaurant.  This is my reasoning behind going on vacation.  I can get it here.  I can get it on a plane.  I can get it on a boat.  I actually caught COVID in November from my son who brought it home from National Guard Drill.  I'm vaccinated, I will take my chances.  

• Like 4

Age 66 here, love to cruise, but wife has compromised immune system. Cancer survivor. We’re both vaccinated and careful. Our daughter working in health field is quite concerned with variants. New one in South America coming this way.

Waiting for better days. Patiently waiting. But if I were younger I’d definitely be going now.

Masking up and booster shots might be the new normal.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, cementhands said:

I think you may be right.  All the best to you and your wife.  I'm a survivor as well so I know it can be tough to make a choice... cruise or not to cruise.  

Take care and please stay safe. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cementhands said:

Age 66 here, love to cruise, but wife has compromised immune system. Cancer survivor. We’re both vaccinated and careful. Our daughter working in health field is quite concerned with variants. New one in South America coming this way.

Waiting for better days. Patiently waiting. But if I were younger I’d definitely be going now.

We're not in an entirely different situation, and I look at it from the opposite perspective.  The chances of new or deteriorating health issues generally increases every year I get older.  I would rather "risk" it and go now than wait and perhaps never cruise again.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

We're not in an entirely different situation, and I look at it from the opposite perspective.  The chances of new or deteriorating health issues generally increases every year I get older.  I would rather "risk" it and go now than wait and perhaps never cruise again.

I also feel this way.  I'm 43 but have a congenital heart condition and had open heart surgery last year.  My mom, with whom I cruise, is not getting any younger.  It has already been two years since our last vacation. We have two booked this year to make up for lost time

Edited by CruizinKittie40
  • Like 2

On 8/15/2021 at 2:29 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

Interestingly, 26 cases were reported in the crew and only one passenger.

Also, about 1000 crew and 4000 passengers.

I'm too lazy to do the math but there is something peculiar there.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Interestingly, 26 cases were reported in the crew and only one passenger.

Also, about 1000 crew and 4000 passengers.

I'm too lazy to do the math but there is something peculiar there.

I don't think that is so peculiar.  Many crew share cabins and also work in close proximity to the same people, so there should be much more chance for transmission.

This is what I did we had two cruises booked on the Encore for October this year and canceled them mostly just concerned about the covid test just before we would get on the ship. Figured the odds were pretty low that the test would be positive but still a chance. Late last year I had a false positive on a colon cancer test so that played a part in my decision. Decided I would just as soon wait a little longer. What helped also helped making the decision easier was the fact we have two 21 night cruises booked on the Encore in 2022, Really like the Encore but just decided to wait. Not everyone's situation is the same as others. 

• Like 1

On 8/15/2021 at 1:53 PM, RocketMan275 said:

Sailing at reduced capacity while wearing a mask sounds more like a nightmare than a 'dream'.

Sailing with reduced capacity and no masks last week was a dream come true. As it was on Royal Caribbean out of Nassau last month. 

Some people sit around and make up “what if’s” and then cry the sky is falling. 

Others go out and cruise and enjoy life. And find out that the sky is fine. (And it is really fine). 

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Sailing with reduced capacity and no masks last week was a dream come true. As it was on Royal Caribbean out of Nassau last month. 

Some people sit around and make up “what if’s” and then cry the sky is falling. 

Others go out and cruise and enjoy life. And find out that the sky is fine. (And it is really fine). 

well said!!!

1 hour ago, Karaboudjan said:

I don't think that is so peculiar.  Many crew share cabins and also work in close proximity to the same people, so there should be much more chance for transmission.

That is an explanation of why it is peculiar.  I suspect there is more.  

Think of this way.  There is a jar with 4000 red marbles and 1000 blue marbles. What is the probability that one would reach in, take 27 marbles and have only one of them be red.  That assumes that any particular has the same chance of being drawn.  Close proximity of the crew would affect that.

Still, those numbers tell me that cruise lines should focus their efforts heavily on transmissions among the crew and only to a lesser extent upon passenger transmissions.

There is another possibility.  Where did the crew get their vaccinations?  Who did their health testing?  How sure are we of that process?  For example: when I was in Korea, there was a significant effort to control certain infections in the local areas just off post.  Many just bribed the inspectors.

• Like 1