Just canceled Horizon cruise for Aug 21

Iplayslots

We just canceled our cruise for next week.  Too stressful to take a vacation with all these rules. Not the right time. 
stay home, stress free, no mask, no testing, no islands with restrictions, no flying with a mask on for hours.  
never thought canceling a vacation could feel so liberating. Strange, but true.  

• Like 20

I'm sorry you felt you had to cancel but at the end of the day you are spending a lot of money and should be spending that money in a way that feels relaxing for you.  The relief you feel confirms that you made the right choice for you.

Hopefully you will still do something fun that week.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, I cancelled Oct. a couple months ago and rebooked for July 2022. Wish I'd have stayed home but I put together a week in Orlando just to give the family a vacation before school starts. Spirit cancelled our Tues. flight on Mon. evening. I found out after midnight and had to grab a flight on Southwest. Already had too much invested with prepaid hotel and our return flight was already booked on Southwest. Showed up at MCO to find our return listed as Delayed. Thankfully, that was just a minor delay

• Like 1

We cancelled our August 21st cruise too and rebooked for next year.  We switched vacation weeks and moved our SW tickets to this Sunday to spend a week in Florida.

Mondello, what a pain about your tickets being cancelled!  I guess the good thing is that you were able to rebook quickly.  SW saved us a cruise one time.  We were late leaving on our Delta flight to Atlanta due to weather and they said we would not be able to catch our layover flight until the following day. We would have completely missed our cruise.  We were able to snag last minute SW flights for later that night and all was saved.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Iplayslots said:

We just canceled our cruise for next week.  Too stressful to take a vacation with all these rules. Not the right time. 
stay home, stress free, no mask, no testing, no islands with restrictions, no flying with a mask on for hours.  

Just curious; did something happen between when they announced all these changes and now that made you cancel?

16 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

I don't understand cancelling a cruise and then booking a land vacation in Florida with unvaccinated children?

Florida has more covid then most other states

How is that a safe place??

We're invincible. Seriously, we're vaccinated and wear masks. Booked Florida pretty much before the current Delta surge. Yeah, I was wondering at the witching hour what we were getting into.

2 hours ago, mondello said:

Yeah, I cancelled Oct. a couple months ago and rebooked for July 2022. Wish I'd have stayed home but I put together a week in Orlando just to give the family a vacation before school starts. Spirit cancelled our Tues. flight on Mon. evening. I found out after midnight and had to grab a flight on Southwest. Already had too much invested with prepaid hotel and our return flight was already booked on Southwest. Showed up at MCO to find our return listed as Delayed. Thankfully, that was just a minor delay

Depending on your kids ages, check out Fun Spot Orlando/Kissimmee. We did 9 days in Orlando back in April and i think we went to those parks 6 times. We bought our son a season pass for like $90, he had a blast. Much cheaper than Disney/Universal 

• Like 2

Just now, matymil said:

Depending on your kids ages, check out Fun Spot Orlando/Kissimmee. We did 9 days in Orlando back in April and i think we went to those parks 6 times. We bought our son a season pass for like $90, he had a blast. Much cheaper than Disney/Universal 

We went there. Took my boy and paid the way for his friend to come on the trip so he'd have someone to ride with. They rode the go-carts repeatedly and got their money's worth. Fun Spot America is really nice with the free admission for adults if you're not riding the attractions.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Iplayslots said:

A slot machine will now be available for another cruiser to make deposits in.  A staycation is the only place where there are not restrictions of some kind or another.

2 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

This is a tough situation and hard to know what’s the best decision. So far we are glad we kept our cruise this week and we’ve had an amazing time and only minimal inconvenience.

Thank you for this msg. We are leaving in a few hours and though there have been some more hoops to jump through we are looking forward to a fun time on Horizon. Glad you had a good cruise experience!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, matymil said:

Just curious; did something happen between when they announced all these changes and now that made you cancel?

Yes,  simply put a vacation should be carefree, fun, stress free & exciting.  When those usual elements are forcibly removed, its anything but… call me silly, i lime to see peoples faces, not hidden behind a mask, when its hot and humid in the southern Caribbean I don’t want to have a mask on while im on a sight seeing tour. I would miss the smiles on the bartender faces as they serve you a beverage poolside. Im willing to wait until things return to a more normal world.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Iplayslots said:

Yes,  simply put a vacation should be carefree, fun, stress free & exciting.  When those usual elements are forcibly removed, its anything but… call me silly, i lime to see peoples faces, not hidden behind a mask, when its hot and humid in the southern Caribbean I don’t want to have a mask on while im on a sight seeing tour. I would miss the smiles on the bartender faces as they serve you a beverage poolside. Im willing to wait until things return to a more normal world.

We have to wear a mask at work (in some situations), so i am used to it. I would rather get out there and enjoy life while i can than wait for the perfect situation. A little inconvenience won't damper my vacation. 

• Like 11

9 hours ago, Iplayslots said:

What are the cancellation penalties? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, crisstyd said:

Thank you for this msg. We are leaving in a few hours and though there have been some more hoops to jump through we are looking forward to a fun time on Horizon. Glad you had a good cruise experience!

Enjoy your cruise and update us please on your return. I am on a Sept sailing in 4 weeks. So looking forward to sailing Horizon

1 hour ago, phoneman69 said:

Enjoy your cruise and update us please on your return. I am on a Sept sailing in 4 weeks. So looking forward to sailing Horizon

We are also cruising in 4 weeks, not sure if we will cancel or not! If you have cancelled, did you get a full refund? Also, if you’ve sailed, were there long lines on embarkation day to get on the ship and did it feel less crowded because of lower capacity?

9 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

This is a tough situation and hard to know what’s the best decision. So far we are glad we kept our cruise this week and we’ve had an amazing time and only minimal inconvenience.

I am glad you had a great cruise!  My concern is that the cruises will get more restrictive in the next month until things settle down again.  I wish I had booked one of the first cruises out, but that ship has literally sailed.  LOL.

• Like 3

I just cancelled my Magic cruise out of Orlando for Thanksgiving week.  I don't know what the restrictions will be then but my full payment date is tomorrow. I just didn't feel like paying in full and then possibly wanting to cancel as the cruise gets closer and there were still restrictions. My deposit is fully refundable.  Masks and covid tests just don't feel relaxing and fun to me.  Also, we would have to fly from Texas during the busiest week of the year for airports.  I'm disappointed but I also feel like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders.

We live about a 3 hour drive from Galveston so I'm planning to see what happens and as soon as I feel comfortable about cruising, I'm going to grab a last minute cruise to anywhere on any ship from Galveston.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, matymil said:

We enjoy the Fun Spot almost every year. One thing I like about us non-riding adults do not have to pay. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Iplayslots said:

I get all that trust me but i see youre from Jersey same as me. We've been wearing masks since the beginning of all this so tbh it doesnt even bother/phase me anymore. Would i prefer not to have them on? Sure but IMO theres enough places on a cruise ship that i wouldnt need the masks (balcony, pool, lido, eating) that i'll still have a blast.

• Like 2

We were to cruise tomorrow on the Horizon out of Miami.  When the new restrictions hit it was too much for us.  

We haven’t used a mask in months.  It is strictly whatever you are comfortable with here in Texas.  Wear one if you want, or not.  Don’t want one on a cruise ship.  We are vaccinated.  Our choice.  Have not felt the testing is useful when you have no symptoms.  That’s just our personal comfort level.  Want to cruise again but not under these conditions.

Will vacation on land.

• Like 4

Not agreeing or disagreeing with the decision. What I like is you made a decision for you and not forcing it down other people. That is the problem we have right now. People and government wanting to control others. You do you and let others do what is right for them.

• Like 9