Renewing Passport throught the "Post Office."

I recently "renewed" my Passport through the Post Office. I did not pay EXTRA to expedite it.  We plan to cruise the 2nd week in January.  If you have "renewed" your passport through the Post Office within "this" year, can you give me an idea "how long" it took to get your passport back?

Curious why you went through the post office.  Unless you have an expired one, you can renew yourself via regular mail.  If it was expired and you had to reapply, that's like getting a new one which takes longer than a renewal.

3 minutes ago, BND said:

Curious why you went through the post office.  Unless you have an expired one, you can renew yourself via regular mail.  If it was expired and you had to reapply, that's like getting a new one which takes longer than a renewal.

You can renew an adult passport that was issued within 15 years (i.e., < 5 years expired).

58 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

You can renew an adult passport that was issued within 15 years (i.e., < 5 years expired).

That doesn't change the question though.  

1 hour ago, beshears said:

I recently "renewed" my Passport through the Post Office. I did not pay EXTRA to expedite it.  We plan to cruise the 2nd week in January.  If you have "renewed" your passport through the Post Office within "this" year, can you give me an idea "how long" it took to get your passport back?

I am just curious. Any reason why you put Post Office in the title in quotes? I was intrigued because I thought it was going to be about someone pretending to receive your application on behalf of the PO and bilking you! (Edit: on reread I see it is just your style to put some things in quotes. Never mind!)

You probably have plenty of time. 

Edited by mayleeman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mayleeman said:

I am just curious. Any reason why you put Post Office in the title in quotes? I was intrigued because I thought it was going to be about someone pretending to receive your application on behalf of the PO and bilking you! (Edit: on reread I see it is just your style to put some things in quotes. Never mind!)

You probably have plenty of time. 

I was wondering the same thing, along with why the other things are in quotes.

• Haha 2

It also depends on which passport office your renewal goes to.

Basically it takes as long as it takes.

And IMO, you should have expedited it, even if you didn't think you needed to.  It is less than $20 per year to have expedited it.

2 hours ago, twinmommy08 said:

Applied for the kids on 7/24 at the post office. Gov received the package 7/27. Received notice the checks were cashed and the passports are processing on 8/16. So 4 weeks so far and counting. 

ditto - sent in for our kids on 7/17 from post office, received confirmation it's being processed on 8/3

My passport renewal was mailed on 6/11, it was logged by passport office on 6/28 and I'm still waiting for it!  I did not pay the expedite fee.  The current timeline for non-expedited requests is 18 weeks (was 12 when I submitted my request) and 12 weeks for expedited requests.  They are blaming the USPS for taking up to 6 weeks for the receipt and delivery of the passports.  

Mailed my husband's passport renewal via priority return receipt mail on Apr 29th; USPS delivered it on May 2nd @ 11AM.

The Passport Office "accepted" the application and processed the check payment (In Process status) on Jun 10th.

Still reflected in the same status after 8 weeks (nearly 15 weeks after I mailed it!) so I contacted my Senator's office to intervene. Received a reply within 30 hours that said we should have the renewed passport within 2 weeks!

Very slow and unsatisfactory service for a simple renewal.

His Global Entry renewal earlier this year went well and didn't have to go in for an interview or photo.

6 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

My brother mailed his renewal application mid-June.  No expedited mailing or processing.

The application was received a few days after mailing.  His renewed passport was received last week.  So, just under 2 months without expedited service.  YMMV.

About same. Mother did non-Expedited renewal that had expired last year. Just received it after almost 9 weeks

I was slightly confused too, because I had to get the money order from the post office as well as send it priority mail (I think that is what is suggested?) through the post office.....sent May 14th, “received” June 23rd, received email it was approved August 9th, and I got it in the mail August 13th....

maybe my town/county is way small, but when I got mine first 20 years ago, I had an appointment at the county courthouse/county seat/possibly city hall? I was amused that people went to the post office to get them done Hha

Hello, I want to thank you ALL for your response to my question.  Yes, unfortunately my Passport had expired by a few days, and I had an opportunity to go to Jamaica, but that didn't work without a passport. As was suggested, I did go online, and check the status of my renewal, and it said it had been received. Someone ask WHY I went to the P.O. to have my Passport renewed. The reason, I had a BAD time, just trying to get through on the website. I had originally been told that I would have to make an "appointment" at the P.O.  I was having a bad time, trying to do that, so I decided to go to my P.O. and ASK how I go about making an appointment, and they told me I didn't have to, but just fill out the form they had there, and bring it back, and they would take care of the rest.  It was so much easier than going to Walgreen, getting my picture taken, etc. This way, they did it ALL at the same time.  I had run into a problem, and that is why I had ask the question, especially in "renewing" the Passport, of how long it might take.  To make the long story short, "IF" I had know it was going to take this long, I would have paid the $60 to have it expedited!  I went to the P.O. today, and they told me what to do, and hopefully I can get it taken care of over the phone, as I seen how long "normally" it takes to get the passport back on the website. As someone mention, they had to contact their Senator's office, and hopefully I don't have to do that.  We are to cruise the 2nd week in January, and I have to have my Passport info to put in on line as well.

11 hours ago, beshears said:

My daughter renewed her expired passport last fall via her local post office. It took around two weeks without expedite. Recently my next door neighbor received theirs which was renewed before it expired via our local post office. It took over six months. Her sister renewed hers the same day same post office and got it back about six weeks earlier. Best information I can gather is how long it takes is all over the place. Someone said you can call and pay to have expedite added in a solo travel forum I visit but this is unconfirmed.

For those who ? why I used the term Post Office, that is because I am "OLD"! To me, the PO is the SAME (MY opinion) as the US Postal Service. NOW you know the reason WHY I ask, and the WORDS I used.

We had to get our son's passport renewed (because he's a minor, I think it's processed as a new passport) and did it at the post office.  Appt was on 6/18.  When I checked the status online, it said the passport agency received it on the 7/12.  I received his new passport on 8/9 and his birth certificate on 8/11.  I was pleasantly surprised that the overall process took less than 2 months because the post office worker said 12-16 weeks.  

• Like 1