NEW CDC GUIDELINES 4 SENIORS WITH UNDERLYING MEDICAL CONDITIONS

mcrcruiser

These are the Current CDC guidelines for cruising . Now we are in  our early 80s & vaccinated  but with underlying medical conditions   .We decided to push all our cruises back   into Nov & Dec 2022 to hopefully  see a more  safe cruise environment  . 

What is your opinion   if you are seniors with underlying medical  conditions to the Following New CDC  Cruise guidelines ?

Key Information for Cruise Ship Travelers

The virus that causes COVID-19 spreads easily between people in close quarters aboard ships, and the chance of getting COVID-19 on cruise ships is high. Outbreaks of COVID-19 have been reported on cruise ships.

CDC recommends that people who are not fully vaccinated avoid travel on cruise ships, including river cruises, worldwide.

People with an increased risk of severe illness should also avoid travel on cruise ships, including river cruises, regardless of vaccination status.

People who decide to go on a cruise should get tested 1–3 days before their trip and 3–5 days after their trip, regardless of vaccination status.

Along with testing, passengers who are not fully vaccinated should self-quarantine for 7 days after cruise travel, even if they test negative. If they do not get tested, they should self-quarantine for 10 days after cruise travel.  

People on cruise ships should wear a mask to keep their nose and mouth covered when in shared spaces. While CDC’s Mask Order is not being enforced on cruise ships, individual cruise lines may require travelers (passengers and crew) to wear masks indoors on board the ship."

COVID-19 and Cruise Ship Travel - COVID-19 High - Level 3: COVID-19 High - Travel Health Notices | Travelers' Health | CDC

Edited by mcrcruiser
  • Like 1

I would certainly wear a mask at all times outside my own stateroom.  I would try to be seated at a table for two as much as possible, and basically try to avoid close contact with others, even though everyone is fully vaccinated.  It's tough, because ordinarily we would enjoy a table for eight, or sharing a table at the bar if needed.  I would be agreeable to self quarantine after the cruise.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

I would certainly wear a mask at all times outside my own stateroom.  I would try to be seated at a table for two as much as possible, and basically try to avoid close contact with others, even though everyone is fully vaccinated.  It's tough, because ordinarily we would enjoy a table for eight, or sharing a table at the bar if needed.  I would be agreeable to self quarantine after the cruise.

Yes right now it is tough for us seniors with underlying medical conditions even to see our grand children &  in our case we have  5 great grand children as well  .Reason is that the Delta variant is so  highly  transmissable even with children .It is like chicken pox according to what we read in medical journals

11 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

Yes right now it is tough for us seniors with underlying medical conditions even to see our grand children &  in our case we have  5 great grand children as well  .Reason is that the Delta variant is so  highly  transmissable even with children .It is like chicken pox according to what we read in medical journals

It is commendable that you are considering the medical vulnerability of your great-grand children.  You might consider that since your cruises are in November and December (the beginning of the winter months) when the virus may be surging, and that if you need to quarantine after your cruises that you may not be able to spend Thanksgiving or Christmas with the little ones.  Sadly, just something else to think about. 

2 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

Now we are in  our early 80s & vaccinated  but with underlying medical conditions   .We decided to push all our cruises back   into Nov & Dec 2022 to hopefully  see a more  safe cruise environment  . 

Cannot say I blame you .. you have to do what you feel is best to keep yourselves safe.

I applaud your thinking!

If you have an underlying condition and are a competent adult you should definitely guard your well being. Actually everyone should.  I can see no difference between cruising and many other activities in that regard. After 18 months of continuous coverage of this topic I don't even understand why that has to be said out loud😁.  

• Like 2

These are the Current CDC guidelines for cruising . Now we are in  our early 80s & vaccinated  but with underlying medical conditions   .We decided to push all our cruises back   into Nov & Dec 2022 to hopefully  see a more  safe cruise environment  . 

What is your opinion   if you are seniors with underlying medical  conditions to the Following New CDC  Cruise guidelines ?

We are seniors  with NO underlying medical conditions.  We have done exactly the same.  Not in pushing back cruises because we have none planned.  But, we have no intention of cruising until at lease late 2022 and probably even further out.

We have far more confidence in science and in medical expertise than we do in the words of self serving politicians, faith leaders, media personalities, or cruise industry execs.

Covid is far from as many unvaccinated folks are now discovering.

We do plan to travel to carefully selected locations.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In my early 80’s. No medical issues. Missing looking forward to checking my packing list. But next cruise will be in 2023. I was on a circle Hawaii that docked in San Diego last March. Did get home to Canada at the deadline. My issue was my great granddaughter was born 2 days before I sailed and she is just getting to know me. We have been following the rules and distancing.  My dream is the day I can hug and give her a big great  gramma kiss 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

I did NOT say that I saw no difference between cruising and ANY activity, I see no difference between cruising and MANY activities.  Church, weddings, parties, bus trips, crowded shopping and dining venues, bus stations, subway stations, need I go on?  The point is we are all grown ups here and we have had 18 months to learn.  

I agree with Mary229.   If I cannot sit in the main dining venue, after fully vaccinated and tested, with other cruisers,  then I will cancel by 2/22 booking!  Getting up near 80 now,  but  will not allow fear of being near an unmasked person to take charge.   CDC does not like risks--Me will assume some to enjoy a cruise again! 😛

• Like 2

I am 80 with underlying conditions. I have a cruise booked to Hawaii this Nov. and I have been fully vaccinated since Feb. I will be getting the Maderna booster shot 3 weeks before the cruise. I discussed this with both my pulmonologist and my cardiologist and they have agreed that it is okay for me to go following the CDC guidelines. My pulmonologist said  "Hawaii should be safe, don't cruise to any foreign ports".

• Like 2

Thank you for this thread and the various on travelling of 80 plus years.  We are there and have cruised a number of times and quite often got off the ship with a cough or cold.  It is wisely obvious to me now that our days of cruising are no doubt over.  This thread has helped make that decision.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, boards said:

Thank you for this thread and the various on travelling of 80 plus years.  We are there and have cruised a number of times and quite often got off the ship with a cough or cold.  It is wisely obvious to me now that our days of cruising are no doubt over.  This thread has helped make that decision.

I had many attacks of bronchitis on cruise ships & been in the  medical center for inhillation   treatments more than I care to remember . Even once mis diagnosed was between cruises went to a hospital & they found  phenmonia   in my right lung .Thank God  it happened on land . 

I was blessed to be told of a electronic devise that I now wear daily around my neck that is rechargeable  with a USB cable  . I bought several of them from Texas ,The product is called Air Tamer   /Commercial airline pilots use them . It blocks virus . I no  longer  have gotten attacks for as long as I have been wearing them .  Thank God I was told about these devices 

Why would some of you declare your cruising days over?  That seems pretty extreme, is a cruise where you are confined to your stateroom much of the time really all that bad?  Isn't it more about getting away?  I'm not critical of the decision, especially at 80+; I'm just curious if there are other alternatives.  

Personally I wouldn't have any problem spending more time in my stateroom and watching the water/scenery go by and taking my meals there, and spending more time up on deck than sitting in a bar/lounge.  I've still escaped real life's responsibilities, I can cuddle up with a good book almost 24/7, a bit harder to do that at home when pets need to be fed, the house needs tended to, and nobody to cook my meals and bring me food.

Anytime you leave home there's always a risk of getting sick, it can happen just as easily on land.  I experienced a Noro outbreak in a Las Vegas hotel and that was truly awful; at least on a ship I feel less helpless, there are people that can bring me anything I need, there's a medical center right there, and I don't have a vehicle to worry about.  

I guess it's all about perspective.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, atexsix said:

Why would some of you declare your cruising days over?  That seems pretty extreme, is a cruise where you are confined to your stateroom much of the time really all that bad?  Isn't it more about getting away?  I'm not critical of the decision, especially at 80+; I'm just curious if there are other alternatives.  

Personally I wouldn't have any problem spending more time in my stateroom and watching the water/scenery go by and taking my meals there, and spending more time up on deck than sitting in a bar/lounge.  I've still escaped real life's responsibilities, I can cuddle up with a good book almost 24/7, a bit harder to do that at home when pets need to be fed, the house needs tended to, and nobody to cook my meals and bring me food.

Anytime you leave home there's always a risk of getting sick, it can happen just as easily on land.  I experienced a Noro outbreak in a Las Vegas hotel and that was truly awful; at least on a ship I feel less helpless, there are people that can bring me anything I need, there's a medical center right there, and I don't have a vehicle to worry about.  

Seems to me the true answer is we are all different  & that makes the world go around . Yes accidents & or illness can & does happen on land as well as ion cruise ships ;however ,there is one bog difference on land  we can get to another destination .On  the inside of any cruise ship it can become a petrie dish & where does every one then go  as ships are limited in size compared to land trips   .Ultimate answer is each person decides their own future travels 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mcrcruiser said:

Seems to me the true answer is we are all different  & that makes the world go around . Yes accidents & or illness can & does happen on land as well as ion cruise ships ;however ,there is one bog difference on land  we can get to another destination .On  the inside of any cruise ship it can become a petrie dish & where does every one then go  as ships are limited in size compared to land trips   .Ultimate answer is each person decides their own future travels 

Well that's true.  And I understand that.  I wanted specifics on how people reached their decision.  We feel safer on ships regardless of the issue, to each his own as you implied. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, atexsix said:

The big difference is on a ship, it is the cruise line that determines if you have to get off in a foreign port if you are sick.  Your choices are limited, compared to a land based trip.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nocl said:

The big difference is on a ship, it is the cruise line that determines if you have to get off in a foreign port if you are sick.  Your choices are limited, compared to a land based trip.

That is true  & what if you are un a 3rd world country with inadequate  medical facilities  & or staff   .Candidly that would be a living nightmare imo 

• Like 1

On 8/22/2021 at 6:25 PM, lazey1 said:

. My pulmonologist said  "Hawaii should be safe, don't cruise to any foreign ports".

Just today:

"Hawaii governor says ‘now is not the time’ for tourists to visit while covid-19 crushes hospitals".

I would say any travel destination has risk. (Full disclosure: I just returned from a cruise and flying cross country).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/08/24/hawaii-travel-covid-hospitals-ige/

Edited by Boytjie

12 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

That is true  & what if you are un a 3rd world country with inadequate  medical facilities  & or staff   .Candidly that would be a living nightmare imo 

I, for one, would not want to be off loaded in Belize (not exactly known for good health care.  Especially the public hospital in Belize city, though there are 2 good private hospitals) as happened recently to a women on a Carnival ship.

The port agreements mean that the cruise lines maintain responsibility for  passengers sick with COVID, if sent to a hospital at a US port, not so if off loaded in a foreign port.

Don't worry. 2022 will be a better year. Lots of vax mandates and passport requirements in place.

I've cancelled two cruises this year without regrets. My next cruise will be to Alaska in May, out of Vancouver. Take note that BC province will be implementing a vax certificate for access to indoor events, restaurants and gyms.

This will take effect this September and October in two phases.

By next May, the crisis will be over, or arrangements will be made for Americans to validate their CDC cards.

Chin up. guys. 

4 hours ago, Boytjie said:

Just today:

"Hawaii governor says ‘now is not the time’ for tourists to visit while covid-19 crushes hospitals".

I would say any travel destination has risk. (Full disclosure: I just returned from a cruise and flying cross country).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/08/24/hawaii-travel-covid-hospitals-ige/

We have a 3 week land trip planned for the big Island and Waikiki in September.  We will probably honor the Governor request and cancel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

I agree.  On land you can certainly make the choice to walk away from an area and pursue other options.  You are extremely limited on what you can do on a cruise ship.  For instance, if you observe a large portion of your fellow passengers not adhering to masking requirements what options do you have?  Wear your mask and hope fore the best?  Not great options imo.

We don't have to think about it anymore the CDC in Canada is advising folks our age and who have health problems should not travel on cruises.  Also I found out the travel insurance from credit card will not cover any out of country travel.  I have not checked with our health insurance provider, but it might the same story.  So we plan to listen the advice and do our in the province we live in.

• Like 1