Jim_Iain - 9/5 and 9/17 Equinox B2B - Come along for a Live Blog

Jim_Iain

11 minutes ago, amevola said:

Same here plus I thought being out of sight of land would unnerve.  SO WRONG! LOL!  We have sailed plenty of times out of sight of land and had a blast with onboard activities.  We have our first TA booked on Beyond next October.  Can't wait!

Oh, we just canceled that Beyond TA, was so looking for to sailing/seeing that ship.  Have a blast!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

Jim, you write an amazingly informative blog.  As a cruise blogger myself on misc. "luxury"  lines who  posts with photos, I know how much work it is.  Sincerest thanks and appreciation!  

I have never been on Celebrity but thanks to your blog, miaminice's Apex blog,  and reading, will soon be the first time (though on Epic).  It will be in a 10th floor suite with retreat access.  I look forward to a bed facing the window, and a bathtub also facing the window through a panel that opens into the living area.

A couple general suite questions, which likely apply on all X ships:

1.  Can guests ask the butler to set up either a coffee or a Keurig espresso machine in the suite?  I know they will bring coffee, but I do not interact well with humanity for about an hour pre-caffeination and like my coffee right when I wake up, which is at varying times.

It may be possible to get a "Tea Kettle" but I have never seen a Keurig or Coffee maker.    On the current ship Equinox the Ocean View Cafe is up 2 floors and they have a Al Bacio Coffee where I get a pre-breakfast double cappuccino.

2.  Can suite guests pre-customize afternoon snacks?  Or do you have to take what they bring you?

You an make special requests and they will try to accommodate .    You can also at anytime order anything you wish off the room service menu by ordering on phone or  TV.   I  know many who request things like a cheese platter or shrimp.    This may vary by room class.  Upper suites they will pretty much give you anything you request. 

3.  Is there a 24/7 room service menu, and if so, would you mind posting?   

Yes and No -  You can see it on the Celebrity App under any of the current cruises.   Normal Room Service is BFast 6-9:30 All Day 11:00 AM - 5:00 AM.  

Suite guests have 24/7 room service (except 1st and Last Morning)

4.  Are you allowed to store a couple food items in zip locks in your fridge, like cheese or cold cuts, as long as you do not make a mess or start a science experiment?  I like to nibble weird things  at weird times without disturbing staff.

Yes.   We have done it before ourselves.   I also store some drugs I take that require refrigeration.

Also they have a Nescafe Coffee machine in Retreat Lounge available 24 hours.  Also morning light morning treats.

5.  Are fruit juices frozen, or fresh-squeezed?

They have Frozen and Premium.   They use to press the juice fresh but I believe they now buy a bottled juice with lots of pulp (Premium).

Thanks in advance! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, erikb923 said:

How has the weather been? Daily Caribbean showers? 

So far has been pretty nice.   We had  15 minute shower in St Croix.    Today we had an early morning downpour and then some very slight drizzle.   Beyond that beautiful blue skies every day. 

So far no DAILY Caribbean showers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TeaBag said:

I love the way the Caribbean gets the rain over with instead of dribbling all day as it does here sometimes.

Wow, you gained 7# already?  Even with all that walking?  No wonder, the food looks awesome.

Not me.   I said on one cruise where we dined in Murano every night for 14 days I  gained 7 pounds.  

Scott was saying he thought He gained 7 on this cruise as he has been eating at Specialty almost daily. 

4 hours ago, SonuvaBeach said:

If you are doing a B2B cruise,  you have a 98% chance of being invited to the helipad on one or both legs of your trip, regardless of Captains Club status or cabin. We have been invited several times..also..I have never been asked to see our invitation! I have offered to show it and was told "We don't need to see that."...Hmmmm.... Let's crash  the  helipad party if we don't get invited on 9/17!!! ( Just kidding)

This is the 2nd leg of my b2b.

I'm elite in an aft veranda.

Haven't been invited yet.

(Been to helipad on edge and silhouette as concierge veranda)

Hi Jim and Iain, No questions from me…just a profound thanks!  I did my first solo cruise on Equinox on 8/1 and it was a great experience.  Had enjoyed 8 or so previously on Celebrity with my late husband.  I found the crew and overall experience on the Equinox to be outstanding. I felt so fortunate to be a part of the return to cruising and I have 4 more Celebrity cruises booked in the next 6 months.  Again, thanks for taking the time to take me back to a terrific vacation…much appreciated!

3 hours ago, ILgirl said:

Hi Jim and Iain, No questions from me…just a profound thanks!  I did my first solo cruise on Equinox on 8/1 and it was a great experience.  Had enjoyed 8 or so previously on Celebrity with my late husband.  I found the crew and overall experience on the Equinox to be outstanding. I felt so fortunate to be a part of the return to cruising and I have 4 more Celebrity cruises booked in the next 6 months.  Again, thanks for taking the time to take me back to a terrific vacation…much appreciated!

That is so great that you are enjoying return to cruising.    I'm so sorry  to hear of your loss but happy that you have had such a  good experience sailing Solo.    We have adopted a couple Solo Travelers and  they have become very close friends. 

I would have to  push myself to cruise Solo as I have a tenancy to Isolate in my room when traveling on business alone.   

• Like 1

On 9/10/2021 at 8:21 AM, Harrylinden said:

So I'm curious as to what happens to those people who were put off the ship? Are they just left there to fend for themselves? Are they supposed to quarantine for 10 to 14 days before they can leave that island.I don't want to be kicked off a cruise ship and just left on the island we are docked at if we test positive for covid.I'm rethinking our cruise in December if that's the case? Covid is getting worse by the day now! Any info would be appreciated!

My wife and I were on the first half of Jim's back-to-back and this is what we learned.  Celebrity has arrangements with the authorities at each port to accept and repatriate Covid-19 patients who are taken off the ship.  The captain told us they would be flown back to FLL the next day.  They are, of course responsible to pay the costs for it.

One night (I think it was Curacao) about 60 minutes before the ship departed we watched 2 passengers wheeled out and put in an ambulance by folks in full hazmat suits.

• Thanks 1

I haven't followed this blog since last Wednesday - just busy.  I just spent the last couple of hours catching up.

Thank you for all you do for us, Jim, as we all come back to cruising.  Everything has been so helpful.

You're the best!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Noticed that so far none of the Cabanas have been rented

C46D07CB-16C7-49A6-8DEA-35561A68065C.thumb.jpeg.9dab91173115258041536c320606fec7.jpeg

We rented one for our sea days. On previous cruises, we found it to be a nice place where our friends can come and hang out with us and order drinks/snacks. We could use the Retreat Deck, but friends who are not in suites can't come and visit/socialize.

3 hours ago, ILgirl said:

I’ve found that enjoying a few cocktails at one of the ship’s watering holes helps in making new friends😀. It would be a delight to meet you both on a future cruise.  I’m buying. Ha ha!

I think that is the way to go.  We  have not gone to any of the bars so  far as we are over cautious to make sure we can continue onto our  B2B.   If contact traced you cant  stay for the second cruise.

3 hours ago, brickellcruiser said:

We rented one for our sea days. On previous cruises, we found it to be a nice place where our friends can come and hang out with us and order drinks/snacks. We could use the Retreat Deck, but friends who are not in suites can't come and visit/socialize.

I've read on previous blogs of people booking them and enjoying.   This cruise is a little different.   Most people are dining early and I would have  expected to see at least one to be rented.  

20 minutes ago, Wolf 8 said:

My wife and I were on the first half of Jim's back-to-back and this is what we learned.  Celebrity has arrangements with the authorities at each port to accept and repatriate Covid-19 patients who are taken off the ship.  The captain told us they would be flown back to FLL the next day.  They are, of course responsible to pay the costs for it.

One night (I think it was Curacao) about 60 minutes before the ship departed we watched 2 passengers wheeled out and put in an ambulance by folks in full hazmat suits.

On the Celebrity website, it says that they'll fly you home. I've interpreted that to mean the city in which you reside, but the Captain's comment that they'll "repatriate" you makes me wonder, especially as he indicated that they would flown to FLL. While the patients could live in FLL, it almost sound as if they'll return patients to the US port of embarkation. Can you or others clarify?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, amevola said:

I haven't followed this blog since last Wednesday - just busy.  I just spent the last couple of hours catching up.

Thank you for all you do for us, Jim, as we all come back to cruising.  Everything has been so helpful.

You're the best!

We have been a  chatty group.   I went back to find something posted and took me about 20 minutes to find.    I'm really enjoying getting back to cruising.    The staff are all excellent and trying so hard to please. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

On the Celebrity website, it says that they'll fly you home. I've interpreted that to mean the city in which you reside, but the Captain's comment that they'll "repatriate" you makes me wonder, especially as he indicated that they would flown to FLL. While the patients could live in FLL, it almost sound as if they'll return patients to the US port of embarkation. Can you or others clarify?

The captain told everyone over the ship's PA system that the Covid-19 patients would be flown back to FLL the next day which was our port of embarkation.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fstuff1 said:

This is the 2nd leg of my b2b.

I'm elite in an aft veranda.

Haven't been invited yet.

(Been to helipad on edge and silhouette as concierge veranda)

Do you have any pictures of your aft veranda? Would love to see pictures and read a description, plus your opinin..  Thanks so much.

3 hours ago, Arzeena said:

Do you have any pictures of your aft veranda? Would love to see pictures and read a description, plus your opinin..  Thanks so much.

You may have missed my posts near the beginning.    We won a bid and was upgraded to a Royal Suite.  I have pictures posted on embarkation day.  So  no pictures of  the S1 Aft cabin.

We were upgraded on the next cruise to the Penthouse so should  be interesting.

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Wolf 8 said:

The captain told everyone over the ship's PA system that the Covid-19 patients would be flown back to FLL the next day which was our port of embarkation.

If Celebrity meant that patients would be flown back to their port of embarkation, as the captain seems to be suggesting, why didn't they just say so? With a few exceptions, being flown to FLL or any other port of embarkation is not being flown home. There seems to be a communications breakdown here.

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Here's  something many may not know about.    Outside the OceanView on Port side there is a display that announce the Daily Special

Today -   Gyro Station and Mediterranean Buffet

Yesterday - Toco Station and Churros

6E98FC6D-B154-4BDE-B962-709E165615A4.thumb.jpeg.ffbdc43a15b3ba742b2d5955416b97e0.jpeg

07B4A7CC-3F0D-4E71-8533-75066E2BF568.thumb.jpeg.52590ce54ddadcabbfe1d809d7a152ac.jpeg

8443DD68-0BC4-4731-BBB3-4ED7B24E8149.thumb.jpeg.83c1a5be07bde12a45d08fe036e6e206.jpeg

C85F6560-72B1-4773-B31A-9857D696A677.thumb.jpeg.9cf691ba0cd9604b6507f92cc0541637.jpeg

Jim, For The Daily Special was there Filipino Cuisine in The Oceanview Cafe?