Complicated boarding question/passport/vaccine card

Celbcruisestx

Hello all, 

This is a new account to maintain my identity, but I have had a peculiar situation arise.  

My travel partners birthday is wrong on his passport.  It has a wrong month, but day and year are correct.   We registered the cruise with the date on the passport.  They have cruised with this passport before and this hasn’t been an issue.  Let’s say the birthday is August 10, 1980 (8.10.80)

The vaccine card is the issue.  It has the actual, correct DOB, which shows a different month, let’s say, April 10, 1980 (4.10.80)

How likely is this to create an issue at boarding and what solutions can anyone think of?  

TIA! 

22 minutes ago, Celbcruisestx said:

Hello all, 

This is a new account to maintain my identity, but I have had a peculiar situation arise.  

My travel partners birthday is wrong on his passport.  It has a wrong month, but day and year are correct.   We registered the cruise with the date on the passport.  They have cruised with this passport before and this hasn’t been an issue.  Let’s say the birthday is August 10, 1980 (8.10.80)

The vaccine card is the issue.  It has the actual, correct DOB, which shows a different month, let’s say, April 10, 1980 (4.10.80)

How likely is this to create an issue at boarding and what solutions can anyone think of?  

TIA! 

Solution- get it corrected ASAP.

Edited by LGW59
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The real question seems to be why it was allowed to stand in the first place. It should have been corrected when the mistake was first discovered. I doubt that it is valid for travel if it does not match other identification even if he has used it before.

I expect it will be questioned at embarkation when presented with proof of vaccination showing a different date. If it is too late to correct before you sail, you risk being denied boarding.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Actually, it is not complicated at all, just a few documents to collect and waiting for the correct passport to be issued.

Hopefully you are not traveling where it will be required, within three or four (3-4) months which may be the time frame to get it back.

Good luck and bon voyage

I believe, but am not 100% sure, that if you are traveling on a closed loop sailing within the U.S. meaning leaving from Miami and returning to Miami port, you can use an original birth certificate and drivers license instead of a passport. That may be an option. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Years ago, I was scheduled to travel and my passport was in my maiden name and I had just got married. Since my passport wasn’t expiring anytime soon, the passport office advised me to attach a copy of my marriage certificate into the passport. You never know this may be a simple fix. Call or visit your passport office and see what they say.

• Thanks 1

Agree with most.....get it corrected on the passport ASAP.  All sorts of issues can crop up at the most inopportune times (like when in a foreign country with little in the way of support).

That would be in addition to the issues with the non-matching vaccine card, which they've become very strict about recently.

And, hope of hopes, you aren't sailing any time in the next 120 days.

• Thanks 1

The vaccine card isn’t the issue. The issue is that the passport is not valid with the incorrect date on it. The fact that the OP has used it for travel in the past shows only that luck was on their side that time. It might not be in the future. Get the passport fixed.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Travelexpert35 said:

Years ago, I was scheduled to travel and my passport was in my maiden name and I had just got married. Since my passport wasn’t expiring anytime soon, the passport office advised me to attach a copy of my marriage certificate into the passport. You never know this may be a simple fix. Call or visit your passport office and see what they say.

Years ago, things were handled quite differently. Today, this is what you would face:

Changing your last name due to a change in relationship status

You need to apply for a new passport if you’re changing your last name due to a change in your relationship status. This could be a marriage, civil partnership or divorce. You’ll need to include all the required documents for a new application and pay the fees. The ID you provide with your application needs to show your new last name.

You also need to include 1 or more of the following documents. They can be originals or copies:

• marriage certificate
  • common-law relationship certificate
  • court order issued in or outside Canada, such as
    • separation agreement
    • divorce order or judgment
  • certificate to dissolve a registered common-law relationship
  • resumption of surname certificate

These documents

4 hours ago, Travelexpert35 said:

What I did in that case was simply book my travel under my maiden name.  I did that until my passport expired, and then for my renewal provided documentation to change my name.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, you need to get that corrected.  

No one here can give you any legitimate comfort as to whether you will have no problems with that passport, and you won't know what problems you will encounter until you are unable to solve them in the moment.

• Thanks 1

On 9/25/2021 at 11:15 AM, Fouremco said:

Years ago, things were handled quite differently. Today, this is what you would face:

Changing your last name due to a change in relationship status

You need to apply for a new passport if you’re changing your last name due to a change in your relationship status. This could be a marriage, civil partnership or divorce. You’ll need to include all the required documents for a new application and pay the fees. The ID you provide with your application needs to show your new last name.

You also need to include 1 or more of the following documents. They can be originals or copies:

• marriage certificate
  • common-law relationship certificate
  • court order issued in or outside Canada, such as
    • separation agreement
    • divorce order or judgment
  • certificate to dissolve a registered common-law relationship
  • resumption of surname certificate

These documents

where is this quoted from? Peculiar that it also says French if its from the US passport site.

4 minutes ago, Guppy99 said:

where is this quoted from? Peculiar that it also says French if its from the US passport site.

That's because it was from the Canadian passport site. @Travelexpert35 to whom I was responding is Canadian, so there was little benefit in providing information from the US or other country's passport site. I'm surprised that this bullet point from the quotation didn't give it away:

• court order issued in or outside Canada
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Why would the OP need to conceal identity?

Fouremco, do you know who it is and that is why you posted Canadian regulations?

No idea on the first question. 

As for your second question, I was responding to a post from @Travelexpert35, not the OP, and as far as I know, the only St. Andrews by the Sea is the town in New Brunswick.

14 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

No idea on the first question. 

As for your second question, I was responding to a post from @Travelexpert35, not the OP, and as far as I know, the only St. Andrews by the Sea is the town in New Brunswick.

You are correct Fouremco, I am in New Brunswick.

• Thanks 2