Cheers Question

karansue

Just want to confirm-you can use the cheers package before you go to your cabin and get your seapass card .You will have a bar code from checking in,that the bars can scan??  Will be on Mardi Gras-Thanks

Yes, that's correct.  Your boarding pass is your de facto Sail-N-Sign card until you get to your cabin and retrieve the actual card from your mailbox.

You'll have to pay tax on your drinks until the ship leaves port, but that's a small price to pay.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Embem said:

Side note - does anyone know how this works on cruising from Galveston (or any port where Cheers doesn't start until day 2)? 

You'll be paying full price.  Also, the drink menu will be limited because Texas law only allows the sale of alcohol purchased from Texas distributors.

Here's an article that explains it:  

https://www.cruzely.com/answered-first-day-drink-packages-and-alcohol-on-galveston-cruises/

• Like 1

19 hours ago, karansue said:

Just want to confirm-you can use the cheers package before you go to your cabin and get your seapass card .You will have a bar code from checking in,that the bars can scan??  Will be on Mardi Gras-Thanks

And you will be limited to two drinks, alcoholic or not until you pass your Muster Drill.

4 hours ago, groundloop said:

You'll be paying full price.  Also, the drink menu will be limited because Texas law only allows the sale of alcohol purchased from Texas distributors.

Here's an article that explains it:  

https://www.cruzely.com/answered-first-day-drink-packages-and-alcohol-on-galveston-cruises/

Also we noticed on the first day out of Galveston they automatically included gratuity.  Not sure what that was about but on day 2 after we got cheers gratuity was not included. 

13 minutes ago, rlindholm said:

Also we noticed on the first day out of Galveston they automatically included gratuity.  Not sure what that was about but on day 2 after we got cheers gratuity was not included. 

That is because they automatically add gratuity for all beverage purchases.  You don't see it added for Cheers-included drinks because you paid the gratuity at the time you purchased the package.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
1 hour ago, Sgwscruiser said:

Never been limited to 2 drinks before mister drill, pre or post pandemic.

It's a post pandemic rule because so many cruisers have been lazy regarding getting their personal muster drill done.  The CD at times and even the Captain have had to beg people to get it done and even threaten them via the public address system.  The muster drill is now so easy and only takes a few minutes to get it done.  But, as usual people don't care and all they want to do is get on board and start to drink.

On 8/8/2022 at 7:07 PM, cruisemom2 said:

We always do muster first thing so it's not an issue for us. But we have been at the bar and have seen others being denied a drink because they haven't been to muster yet.

I was on the Sunshine in January and they would not even let us get one. We were denied and told to go to muster first. We boarded early so I was surprised. I would have expected that if we boarded later.

16 hours ago, RollTide73 said:

Does Cheers also apply to drinks in MDR, minibar or room service or is it just at the bars?

As @Drew B 58said, yes you can use Cheers in the MDR.  There are no more stocked minibars in the cabins.  If you order from Room Service, you pay the bar prices for your drinks, so if you want something in your room, it is best to grab it from the bar and carry it back with you.

• 2 weeks later...

I am familiar with the Cheers package but a few questions came up from friends I am going with that I couldn't answer.  First, if you are booked with the DOU offer on the room, do those drinks count toward the 15?  Second, if you purchase drinks separately, do they count toward the 15?  And lastly, does the DOU offer apply to both people in that cabin booked under that offer?  Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, tzeb said:

I am familiar with the Cheers package but a few questions came up from friends I am going with that I couldn't answer.  First, if you are booked with the DOU offer on the room, do those drinks count toward the 15?  Second, if you purchase drinks separately, do they count toward the 15?  And lastly, does the DOU offer apply to both people in that cabin booked under that offer?  Thanks in advance!

The offer would specify "and Your Companion" for the DOU.  If it didn't, it does not include them.  Yes, all drinks under the DOU or purchased count towards your 15.   

5 hours ago, tzeb said:

the rule for Carnival is 15 drinks per day regardless of drink package or not. So if you have no offer or Cheers, you should still be cut off at 15. How strict they are I can’t say. 

However, purchasing a bottle of wine, bucket of beer, etc does not count towards this. But it’s also not covered by DOU or Cheers. Single drinks. Yes. 

2 hours ago, 1kaper said:

the rule for Carnival is 15 drinks per day regardless of drink package or not. So if you have no offer or Cheers, you should still be cut off at 15. How strict they are I can’t say. 

However, purchasing a bottle of wine, bucket of beer, etc does not count towards this. But it’s also not covered by DOU or Cheers. Single drinks. Yes. 

They are very strict on the count.  You get a warning on your receipt at #10.

6 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

They are very strict on the count.  You get a warning on your receipt at #10.

ish. I have seen the bartenders override the point of sale system for someone who has reached or exceeded 15. Yes, the system certainly keeps count. Whether or not you are cut off probably depends more on your demeanor than anything else.

On 10/4/2021 at 10:24 AM, SNJCruisers said:

And you will be limited to two drinks, alcoholic or not until you pass your Muster Drill.

No more muster drills. You get on, go straight to your station, they show you how to put on the life vest, check off your name and you move on. Awesome change post covid

38 minutes ago, ballarinamom said:

No more muster drills. You get on, go straight to your station, they show you how to put on the life vest, check off your name and you move on. Awesome change post covid

Yes, it is great, but until you do that you will be limited in what you can get from the bar.