Gold By The Inch?

OZ.

18 minutes ago, ticketsunlimited said:

My wife once told me you should never by anything by the inch, especially something that they consider gold.😉

LOL. Since it's just a very thin layer of gold, it's not even worth what they sell it for.   The way they display it always reminds me of the chains they sell at hardware stores.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

I bought a couple of chains and frankly have not had a single issue with them. In fact, a few years ago, my house was broken into and the thieves stole nearly all my jewelry including the Gold by the Inch chains but left my expensive real gold chains. Glad that these criminals were super stupid. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, Ashland said:

We always referred to it as junk by the inch. But if it's your thing enjoy it :classic_wink:

I guess I should have stated that it was gold plated. I’m aware of that and was just wanting some to make a mask holder. I don’t think anywhere does anyone call real gold “gold by the inch”. At least not that I’m aware of. 

2 hours ago, foxgoodrich said:

If you like it, and you know you're paying for gold plated chain (not solid gold chain), then go for it!  I feel bad for people who mistakenly believe it's solid gold chain as the hype is a bit misleading.:classic_ohmy:

Thanks, yes I know it’s plated. I have never been interested in it, except couldn’t find a mask holder on board so I was wondering if they could make one. Guess I don’t want to risk it not being on Adventure next month so I’ll just have to find something at home.

That’s terrible people are fooled into believing it’s real gold.

9 minutes ago, OZ. said:

Thanks, yes I know it’s plated. I have never been interested in it, except couldn’t find a mask holder on board so I was wondering if they could make one. Guess I don’t want to risk it not being on Adventure next month so I’ll just have to find something at home.

Creative!  A mask holder with a little shine...I think you have a good idea, and I'm sure they could make something for you with chain.  Too bad you can't be sure they'll be on your ship.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, OZ. said:

I guess I should have stated that it was gold plated. I’m aware of that and was just wanting some to make a mask holder. I don’t think anywhere does anyone call real gold “gold by the inch”. At least not that I’m aware of. 

You'd be surprised by the number of people who have no clue and think they're getting a "deal".

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, OZ. said:

Should be able to find a long "gold" chain at Target or Walmart.  

Many moons ago, when I worked onboard, the shoppies always referred to it as 'Inch of Mold'. Always makes me smile when I see it for sale 🙂

Oh, and Tanzanite was running out - quick, buy as an investment*

*This was 30 years ago, I note that Tanzanite is *still* running out ....

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

20 hours ago, OZ. said:

Try Amazon. They have a lot of mask holders in silver, gold and beaded.  

On 10/15/2021 at 6:08 PM, OZ. said:

Amazon has some cute mask holders…(sorry for the duplicate to PinkIce26’s response)

Edited by SheSailsFL

I don’t know remember what RCCL ship we were on, but a few years ago DH and I became chatty with a sales clerk. He’d be somewhere different each night, like the Invicta watch sale, the $5 jewelry sale, the t-shirt sale. When we approached him working the gold by the inch stand, he whispered to us, “You can’t buy cheaper *****.”  We still laugh about it. 

My mom had purchased a gold by the inch necklace on a RCCL ship many years ago. It tarnished (big surprise).  She went on a different RCCL ship several years later and took it with her to complain. They exchanged it for free. My mom was so happy. I have no idea if the replacement ever tarnished. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...