Sick on turnaround day - B2B2B (Happy Ending)

I didn't see any topics that matched this so I thought I would share my experience in case it's helpful for others.

Today was the first turnaround day in my B2B2B. Last night I started have gastroenteritis or food poisoning symptoms. My first thought was that if I went to medical they'd treat me and then deny boarding for my next cruise. I was considering trying to "tough it out" and hide what was going on so that I could remain on the ship. But then I thought about potentially exposing a bunch of people to whatever this is and I decided to do what I thought was the right thing.

I called the night nurse and she asked me come down straightaway at 7am. I did and we went through all the CDC paperwork and did another COVID test (this time the one that feels like they're trying to poke up into your brain). I didn't have a fever and my COVID was negative so she gave me some drugs. They said I could cruise (yeah!) but I have to remain in my cabin in isolation for at least 24 hours (reasonable). 

So it could be gastro, noro or I ate something a bit off (looking at you tuna tartar).

The interesting other bits....

• I was supposed to change cabins but they didn't want me "homeless" for part of the day so I'm in my 1st week's cabin. They say they'll move me once I'm out of isolation.
  • The immigration officer came to my cabin and checked my passport here. 
  • I didn't have to do the muster drill. Don't know if they'll make me go to my muster station tomorrow or not. 
  • Because I didn't do muster, the TV in my cabin is having fits and won't let me do anything else with the tv except stay on the "you need to go to muster" screen. Have tried to get them to fix that but no dice so far. Makes having "free" on demand tv a bit of a disappointment.
  • Getting food hasn't been easy - I get "free" room service but room service isn't open yet. 

I'm starting to feel fine so I'm hopeful they'll clear me in the morning and I can get on with the second leg of this cruise.

So if you too are wondering about getting medical help, do the right thing. They'll let you stay on board if it is all safe for you and the rest of the passengers.

• Like 10

25 minutes ago, trenton107 said:

I didn't see any topics that matched this so I thought I would share my experience in case it's helpful for others.

Today was the first turnaround day in my B2B2B. Last night I started have gastroenteritis or food poisoning symptoms. My first thought was that if I went to medical they'd treat me and then deny boarding for my next cruise. I was considering trying to "tough it out" and hide what was going on so that I could remain on the ship. But then I thought about potentially exposing a bunch of people to whatever this is and I decided to do what I thought was the right thing.

I called the night nurse and she asked me come down straightaway at 7am. I did and we went through all the CDC paperwork and did another COVID test (this time the one that feels like they're trying to poke up into your brain). I didn't have a fever and my COVID was negative so she gave me some drugs. They said I could cruise (yeah!) but I have to remain in my cabin in isolation for at least 24 hours (reasonable). 

So it could be gastro, noro or I ate something a bit off (looking at you tuna tartar).

The interesting other bits....

• I was supposed to change cabins but they didn't want me "homeless" for part of the day so I'm in my 1st week's cabin. They say they'll move me once I'm out of isolation.
  • The immigration officer came to my cabin and checked my passport here. 
  • I didn't have to do the muster drill. Don't know if they'll make me go to my muster station tomorrow or not. 
  • Because I didn't do muster, the TV in my cabin is having fits and won't let me do anything else with the tv except stay on the "you need to go to muster" screen. Have tried to get them to fix that but no dice so far. Makes having "free" on demand tv a bit of a disappointment.
  • Getting food hasn't been easy - I get "free" room service but room service isn't open yet. 

I'm starting to feel fine so I'm hopeful they'll clear me in the morning and I can get on with the second leg of this cruise.

So if you too are wondering about getting medical help, do the right thing. They'll let you stay on board if it is all safe for you and the rest of the passengers.

I'm proud of you for your choices.🌹

• Like 2

It's truly amazing the world we live in that your GI issues were no big deal since it wasn't covid (covid typically doesn't present itself that way anyway), but it could have been norovirus (probably wasn't that either) which is exponentially more contagious than covid since it spreads like 4 different ways.

Now room service *should* have been open for the exception cases like yours.

• Like 1

When we become a member of a community of people we make a social contract to do no harm to that community by our actions.

Good on you for doing the right thing to protect your cruise community! I wish more people act like you and have a community mindset.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

What happened to the people who were supposed to be in the cabin you're still in?

I wouldn 't want to be the ones taking that cabin........Can you say Upgrade me ASAP !!

Also on a side note the CDC will not allow the cruise ships to sell Tylenol/Advil type products on board right now. I found this out when I ran out in September on Oasis. GS suggested going to medical for it but I just did without. So make sure you bring your own! 

I’m glad it worked out for the OP and they were braver than me to go to medical. I just had a headache probably from dehydration from all the cocktails!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, trenton107 said:

I was taught early in my military career.  Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.  We salute you!!! 

• Like 4

I got norovirus on turnaround day in Copenhagen.  I was told not to attend muster drill, and I was down in medical getting a shot.    I still think I got a bad hotdog in Amsterdam.  Our cabin steward was a gem, and we tipped him all our Euros and Nordic Croners.  Worked out to quite a sum.

I also got some Future Cruise Credit for the time I spent in quarantine.

Edited by knittinggirl

17 hours ago, njkruzer said:

What happened to the people who were supposed to be in the cabin you're still in?

Not sure... since we're sailing less than 50% full, could be the room was supposed to be empty. If not, there were certainly others of the same type that were. Last week the rooms on both sides of me weren't booked. 

16 hours ago, Jimbo said:

I wouldn 't want to be the ones taking that cabin........Can you say Upgrade me ASAP !!

I saw my room attendant today. He told me that when there is a "GI" cabin, they remove all the bedding including the bed skirt and then scrub everything down. I gave him an extra large tip to make up for the trouble.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, MJSailors said:

Just saying....tuna tartare ???!!!

It was on the "Taste of Royal" menu. Was very yummy and that's the only thing I thought likely to have been a "mistake". 

Since I was fine about mid-day yesterday (so less than 24 hours of symptoms), it probably wasn't noro or gastroenteritis. 

• Like 1

Just and update for anyone.... I'm in my "new" room and feeling fine. Only felt bad for about 24 hours total. This morning I went down to be cleared. They gave me another COVID test and asked me if I'd had more "symptoms" - which I hadn't. Then Guest Services sent some folks to help me move my luggage to the new room.

Will probably be careful about what I eat and stay away from booze tonight but all in all, if I had to get sick, it was fairly uneventful.

• Like 6