Covid vax card warning

A fair warning. While checking into Odyssey of the Seas, one of the three reviewers caught that my husband’s Covid vaccine card did not have his birthdate written out on the card. It caused a small kerfuffle .  We were taken to a counter with higher level employees to check thru all of his documents. Then all proceeded as usual. Added maybe 5 minutes to our check in process. No big deal, but life would have been a touch easier if we had thought to look at that prior to boarding ( or, at time of vaccine). We were told that he should not write in his DOB, but that it needed to be added by the staff who gave vaccine ( right  - 😉)

FWIW, the Odyssey is beautiful. Shiny and new! Róyaled up to a Junior Suite for $50 each. Worth it. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Also be sure that all the details are correct on your negative Covid test result.  When we sailed on Celebrity Summit on July 31, we discovered at the pier that DW's printed result had an error on it.  Due to what must have been a typo, it showed her result was reported on "July 9, 2021," rather than the actual date of "July 29."  The testing date was correctly stated as "July 29," and I also had my test result that was all correct.  As in your case, the higher-ups talked for a couple minutes and waved us on through.  It was fairly obvious that someone made a mistake, so we weren't overly concerned.  However, it would have been worth a few moments of our time to examine the result and get that mistake corrected just in case.

Since we're telling stories about the vaccination card, DW also has one of those.  She was recently on a Carnival cruise as part of a large group.  Another of the group members had a problem on her card.  I don't recall exactly, but there was some detail left off regarding that lady's second shot.  Fortunately, the folks at the pier were able to clear it up with a phone call, but it took closer to an hour for them to get it all sorted.  Still, she was able to board and had a marvelous time. (The other group members boarded without any trouble.)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FlatFooted Freda said:

We were told that he should not write in his DOB, but that it needed to be added by the staff who gave vaccine ( right  - 😉)

A lot of people (including us) got our vaccinations at a state-run mass vaccination site and all they did was fill in the dose #1 and #2 details (mfr., lot #, date and site) and left it to us to fill in the top portion. I'm guessing it would cause massive delays at those large sites if the staff had to stop and fill in that data for every person. 🤨

Edited by joepeka

Thanks for these COVID card threads! As part of my job at the hospital I scan a LOT of COVID Vaccination Cards. It surprises me (not really, though) how BADLY these things are being filled out, having been done at a wide variety of stores, sites, and facilities. 

So, yes, make sure that these tips from cruisers that have already been through the cruise terminal gauntlets are well taken. I made sure that mine is so precise and accurate from the get-go it could be used as a model example. 😁

• Like 1

We uploaded our vaccine cards using the app but my husband's card was rejected.  The card shows his name, birth date, type of vaccine, lot number, vaccines dates.  The only thing that is missing is  the number for the CVS location for the second shot. (It says CVS but not the store number.)  Fortunately, we were able to go to the CVS website and print out the vaccine record.  I uploaded that to the app and it seems to have been accepted.  Whoever is verifying the cards is being very particular.  It's good to have a back up!

On 11/1/2021 at 1:06 PM, joepeka said:

A lot of people (including us) got our vaccinations at a state-run mass vaccination site and all they did was fill in the dose #1 and #2 details (mfr., lot #, date and site) and left it to us to fill in the top portion. I'm guessing it would cause massive delays at those large sites if the staff had to stop and fill in that data for every person. 🤨

On 11/1/2021 at 1:15 PM, matt1 said:

Thanks for these COVID card threads! As part of my job at the hospital I scan a LOT of COVID Vaccination Cards. It surprises me (not really, though) how BADLY these things are being filled out, having been done at a wide variety of stores, sites, and facilities. 

Also had mine at a mass vaccination site, and was left to fill in our personal information. They were much more concerned that the data they were entering for the CDC was correct. I don't think they envisioned the cards becoming a "vaccine passport" at that point in time.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, CruisinCrow said:

We uploaded our vaccine cards using the app but my husband's card was rejected.  The card shows his name, birth date, type of vaccine, lot number, vaccines dates.  The only thing that is missing is  the number for the CVS location for the second shot. (It says CVS but not the store number.)  Fortunately, we were able to go to the CVS website and print out the vaccine record.  I uploaded that to the app and it seems to have been accepted.  Whoever is verifying the cards is being very particular.  It's good to have a back up!

Did your husband have two cards for each shot or were both shots recorded in same CDC card?

When wife and I received our vaccines they placed a small sticker with the injection time on it ( for the 15 min. wait) on the top right corner of the card.  It covered the CDC insignia and when the sticker was removed so was the insignia...... any idea if this will cause a problem... sailing in Jan.

They have to have seen all kinds of scenarios on cards. My husband got his done at a public school that was hosting mass vaccination done by a local hospital. They told him to fill in his own name and birthdate at the top. Then his 2 shots were done by 2 different people on 2 different weekends, so there are 3 different handwritings on his card - his and the 2 people who vax’d him. Mine, on the other hand, was done at Walgreens, by the same staffer both times, and she filled out my whole card, so there’s one handwriting on the whole card. 

On 11/6/2021 at 12:28 PM, Another_Critic said:

When checking in for Oasis on 10/17, they took a picture of the card.  YMMV.

do they take a picture so they can go to the database later to verify your name is in it? They say there is a database for every venue that gave you the shot.

I am a bit obsessive, and I was vaccinated at a massive event by the health department, so I went to my state's website and downloaded a copy of my record as "back up."

FROM TYHE CDC's website:  https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/vaccination-card.html

• If you cannot contact your vaccination provider site directly, contact your state health department’s immunization information system (IIS). Vaccination providers are required to report COVID-19 vaccinations to their IIS and related systems.

11 hours ago, kristal8861 said:

do they take a picture so they can go to the database later to verify your name is in it? They say there is a database for every venue that gave you the shot.

Yes I believe so. There was a sign when we checked in saying it was a federal offense to present a fake card. Hopefully no one is dumb enough to try it. Not worth the risk.

6 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Yes I believe so. There was a sign when we checked in saying it was a federal offense to present a fake card. Hopefully no one is dumb enough to try it. Not worth the risk.

I know a couple that's gone on 2 cruises so far one has a "fake" card.  It's real but as stated no one filled out the info.  So one of them filled in the info for themselves but didn't get Vax.  There is no way to tell a difference.  Plenty fakes out there.  Even more now with the mandate. 

5 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

Do I need  a phone number for the clinic that gave us the vaccines on my card? I just have the initials for the clinic. It is a pre-printed sticker.

Mine does not.  Only has the name of the venue.  Sailed on Oasis out of Bayonne and had no problem with the card.  More emphasis on the vaccine card than the test result.  My vaccine card was examined some 5 different times before boarding.

Just had my booster shot and same, only name "Town RX."  My pharmacy has the same name as my town.    

Ps. If you examine the card there's hardly any room to include the tele #.

On 11/6/2021 at 8:02 PM, emory2001 said:

They have to have seen all kinds of scenarios on cards. My husband got his done at a public school that was hosting mass vaccination done by a local hospital. They told him to fill in his own name and birthdate at the top. Then his 2 shots were done by 2 different people on 2 different weekends, so there are 3 different handwritings on his card - his and the 2 people who vax’d him. Mine, on the other hand, was done at Walgreens, by the same staffer both times, and she filled out my whole card, so there’s one handwriting on the whole card. 

You were lucky. Had you gone on a different day you may have gotten a different associate. Mine has two different hand writings. One neatly written out by a young college girl (neat penmanship) and the other by an older gentleman (hieroglyphics) .

On 11/6/2021 at 12:18 PM, CruisinCrow said:

Whoever was checking your cards needs to get a grip. My card only says "UC" for vaccination site, indicating I was vaccinated at the mass vaccination site at the United Center that was run by the military. They're not going to know what that means. They're not going to know a what the abbreviations on many cards stand for. 

Whoever decided paper cards with no real strict process is the way to go can go ahead and exit society now, thanks. It's such an insecure and primitive way to keep a record. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trey420 said:

I know a couple that's gone on 2 cruises so far one has a "fake" card.  It's real but as stated no one filled out the info.  So one of them filled in the info for themselves but didn't get Vax.  There is no way to tell a difference.  Plenty fakes out there.  Even more now with the mandate. 

Gossiping about it only adds to the issue. Report it to the CDC and the cruise line, take action. 

2 hours ago, trey420 said:

And if that one gets really sick onboard the ship, what are they going to do?  It's very rare for those vaccinated to get really sick, but unvaccinated have a much higher rate of severe illness.  I wonder how they justify lying.

On 11/6/2021 at 8:02 PM, emory2001 said:

^ Quick update on this post. Just saw in the app all of our vax cards (us and 2 teens) have been approved for our upcoming cruise for Thanksgiving week. 

Edited by emory2001

26 minutes ago, BND said:

And if that one gets really sick onboard the ship, what are they going to do?  It's very rare for those vaccinated to get really sick, but unvaccinated have a much higher rate of severe illness.  I wonder how they justify lying.

That's their problem.  I'm sure they have heard the stats.  

• Like 1