Help me convince my husband!

khuselid

Hi all,

Life has hit us pretty hard this year, including a cancer diagnosis....all is ok now, but our kids can't be with us for Thanksgiving and I really need to get outta here for a bit. We are avid Oceania cruisers and have never sailed Viking before. Like many we have cancelled many a cruise in the past 18 months. I just found there is space on the Nov. 17 Panama cruise and I would love to get on that ship. 

We are 65 and 70 pretty active folks and my husband is worried that wearing masks will ruin things. I tell him we have to wear masks when we go anywhere here and at least we will be at sea!! I don't really even care if I get off the ship😉!

For those who have sailed since they restarted. How is it?? Is it difficult to talk to other passengers because of the masks! Are we able to share tables with others for meals? The ship is Orion, are there plenty of outdoor spaces where one doesn't have to mask up?

Thanks so much for reading this and for sharing your thoughts

Kim

We were on the second sailing of the Iceland trip when Viking resumed operations this summer. Masks and all, we loved it.  It was fabulous to be back on a ship, being spoiled rotten, meeting new people, enjoying the ship's facilities and in general having a grand old time! There were shared tables of four or 6 -- larger gatherings were discouraged. We were so happy on board that we leave again mid-December -- and are hoping to book another cruise or two while on board.

Fully vaccinated ship plus masks, distancing especially on the buses and daily testing, to us at least, were comforting. We had decided pretty early on that we would not cruise unless these protocols were in place and so were very happy that the return to service cruises ticked all the boxes. We are glad that Viking has not yet abandoned these protocols.

However, it doesn't matter how much DH & I enjoyed ourselves on board or how we feel about the on board protocols.  If one has it in their mind that the protocols that will be cumbersome and make it difficult to enjoy one's self, it could be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Hopefully these answers to your questions will help him to change his mind: There is plenty of seating inside and out. Hearing and conversing through masks was not a problem -- and masks aren't required while seated.

Hope it all works out for you.

• Like 8

Kim,

We were on the Orion this summer traveling around Bermuda. In short, the masks were not a bother at all. As you said, we’ve become accustomed to wearing them at home and there was little difference on the ship. We wore masks as we moved through the ship but once we sat down and were socially distanced we were able to remove them. This held true in the main dining room, World Cafe, Explorer’s Lounge, Living Room and dining outdoors. There seemed to be an unwritten rule that one could remove their masks as long as they were appropriately distanced from others. Whenever we got up to move about or get drink/food, we’d put our masks back on.  

The spa and fitness center were capacity controlled by reservations which enabled us to remove masks although we wore them in the fitness room because of close quarters (some folks on the cardio equipment did not but they were spaced out from others).

Although some CC members on this forum may disagree, we did not find the morning saliva tests to be bothersome - especially given the safety factor they provided. 

• Like 9

I will "second" the responses from Peregrina and WestW with a hearty recommendation to "go for it"!  We did the Bermuda cruise in the summer and my only complaint was that it was TOO SHORT!!  We had a wonderful time, made a "game" out of the daily spit-fest (we found reviewing the day's menus helped!) and the masks were really no big deal.  It was wonderful getting out and as a fellow cancer survivor I am a firm believer that every day counts and life is short ... get out and enjoy!

• Like 8

Kim - I will "third" the responses.  We were also on the Orion this summer in Bermuda.  I felt totally safe.

Wishing you the best in health and travel.

YES!  GO FOR IT!  Life is too short.  ENJOY!!!  We would be on this cruise too, if we didn't have another cruise out of Rome (to San Juan) that leaves Nov 22.

SO funny - as molymoo said - we did the same thing - made a game of doing the daily saliva capture.  We met so many new and fun people as well.

Hope to hear from you how it goes!

• Like 2

We also did the Bermuda cruise in July.  It was such a good time we convinced 7 other family members to join us on a Malta/Barcelona cruise in October.  A few were not sure about traveling these days, but in the end we agreed (for us) it was a once in a  lifetime and WELL worth it.  There is such confidence in the Viking safety protocols!  It's well worth it to get out and see the rest of the world!  Go for it!  For us on the Venus the standard was no mask necessary unless moving around people or there is a roof over our heads. Of course off land and on the bus everyone masked up.  The spit test wasn't an issue either.  I hope these responses help.  

• Like 2

I also heartily agree with everyone's evaluation here.  Masks were not a problem.  We could wear the more comfortable paper ones and Viking provided 2 packs in our room.  Only time we wore the N95 or KN95 ones were on planes or at airport.  Yes it is easy to meet and talk to people.  Your cruise should be a warmer weather cruise then ours was where you can utiluze the outside decks more mask free.  Go for it.  Live your life.  We are but a moments sunlight fading on the grass...

• Like 4

We were on the Iceland cruise with Peregrina. I don't like wearing masks but viking's easy to follow mask rules did nothing to spoil my experience onboard. Great cruise. Never thought about masks except when leaving the room and realizing I'd forgotten mine.
GO!

• Like 4

On my Bermuda cruise in July  tables were spaced apart on the open deck by infinity pool. On my  sailing on Venus on Oct in The Western Med. , all the tables were in use. We met a couple from MN and ended up  having lunch and even dinner with them on the cruise.

As others say only when walking through common areas, around people until you sit now and then order a drink  or food. Easy to do in the Living Room with  great Viking Bar and

coffee bar, also easy to do at the pool with the open roof  having lunch or a drink in afternoon. If yo are doing the Panama Canal the pool roof will be open unless it is raining . 

The only downside is that the crew wear theirs all the time and miss seeing their smiles and whole face.

You husband will have a great time. 

Edited by Azulann
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, WestW said:

We wore masks as we moved through the ship but once we sat down and were socially distanced we were able to remove them. This held true in the main dining room, World Cafe, Explorer’s Lounge, Living Room and dining outdoors. There seemed to be an unwritten rule that one could remove their masks as long as they were appropriately distanced from others. Whenever we got up to move about or get drink/food, we’d put our masks back on.  

This is a relief. We enjoy sitting and reading in various places throughout the ship, and I was wondering if this would be possible without a mask. I get copious hot flashes when I wear masks (and DH, who has to wear them all day at work, hates them), so I was wondering if we’d just be stuck in our room when not eating or drinking. But it sounds like we’ll be able to take them off when seated — hooray! 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, WestW said:

We wore masks as we moved through the ship but once we sat down and were socially distanced we were able to remove them. This held true in the main dining room, World Cafe, Explorer’s Lounge, Living Room and dining outdoors. There seemed to be an unwritten rule that one could remove their masks as long as they were appropriately distanced from others. Whenever we got up to move about or get drink/food, we’d put our masks back on.  

Thanks so much for the observation about the unwritten rule about being able to remove masks when seated as long as you were distanced.  We cruise on the Sea at the end of this month (happy dance!).   Although my husband knows he'll have to wear masks except when eating or drinking, he was not happy about it.  I know the "unwritten rule" may be different when we cruise, but he'll be glad to know that he may be able to sit by himself without a mask.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Twitchly said:

This is a relief. We enjoy sitting and reading in various places throughout the ship, and I was wondering if this would be possible without a mask. I get copious hot flashes when I wear masks (and DH, who has to wear them all day at work, hates them), so I was wondering if we’d just be stuck in our room when not eating or drinking. But it sounds like we’ll be able to take them off when seated — hooray! 

It likely varies among ships and among Viking crew.  On our Orion trip this summer, we were sitting reading in the rooms beside the Wintergarden, with other people present.  One of the staff told us all to put our masks on.   Later she came by and said please just get a tea or water or something and sit it on the table so it looks like you are drinking and then you'll be fine.

I'm going to be curious how our upcoming cruise treats us with regard to this.  Roof over your head unwritten rule was pretty much followed on Orion this summer.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

It likely varies among ships and among Viking crew.  On our Orion trip this summer, we were sitting reading in the rooms beside the Wintergarden, with other people present.  One of the staff told us all to put our masks on.   Later she came by and said please just get a tea or water or something and sit it on the table so it looks like you are drinking and then you'll be fine.

I'm going to be curious how our upcoming cruise treats us with regard to this.  Roof over your head unwritten rule was pretty much followed on Orion this summer.  

We were on the earliest of the Welcome Back cruises so perhaps it has been relaxed while being seated on the more recent cruises.  Frankly for our July cruise the only time we were on board we were in our room showering and changing from excursions, in the spa or eating and drinking somewhere.  Don't really know how strict they were when in the more open spaces of the Wintergarden, Living Room seating areas or Lanai.

• Like 2

We live in England, where mask wearing is encouraged but not compulsory, we were on holiday in Scotland last week where the rules are similar to Viking's. After a couple of days mask wearing was no more than a thing to try to remember, and not an issue at all 

• Like 2

Well, it looks like a YES! Hubs says he will set his worries about it aside. I think the idea of sitting on the veranda and watching the sea go by cinched it!!

Thanks all, it you have any other COVID travel tips for us that would be wonderful. We will be first time Viking cruisers! 

Forget about leaving the kids any inheritance!!🤣

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, khuselid said:

Well, it looks like a YES! Hubs says he will set his worries about it aside. I think the idea of sitting on the veranda and watching the sea go by cinched it!!

Thanks all, it you have any other COVID travel tips for us that would be wonderful. We will be first time Viking cruisers! 

What are these 'inheritance' and 'kids' of which you speak? 🤔😁

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, khuselid said:

Welcome to Viking. Suggest you read the “New to Viking” thread. It has lots of tips. 

I would also recommend that you find a travel agent who can provide you Viking’s maximum allowable shipboard credits. Those will cover your daily service charges and likely leave a little for some fun. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, khuselid said:

We are also doing our first Viking cruise in December. We have done 36 cruises on Princess and an Ultra-luxury line which just wasn’t us. Viking is just about everything we were looking for. This board has been very helpful. 

The Viking COVID protocol is excellent. You will be safer than any city we live in. Enjoy. We can’t wait.

• Like 3

Hi khuselid,

I agree with all the observations before me. This was our first season with Viking Ocean, I say that because we went on both Bermuda and Iceland and are awaiting Hawaii in December. I have also (years ago) cruised with Oceania. I believe you and your husband will love Viking Ocean!

A few additional off the cuff observations...  The crew are lovely and accommodating. The cuisine is high quality and done well, including their daily buffet venue. Dining room breakfast, the best I've had. Pastries and desserts are delicious without being overly sweet. Afternoon tea/delectable tidbits with accompanying live music in Wintergarden, a delightful venue. Explorers Lounge for relaxing any time of day, and taking in the views, faux fireplace there for a cozy spot. Well-crafted cocktails. Musicians in multiple places. Great included DIY laundry facilities. Wonderful  thalassotherapy pool and spa facilities. Large choice of ensuite TV entertainment,  in a lovely comfortable cabin.

I also appreciated their included light weight black paper masks 😷and complimentary daily testing.

Wishing you a great cruise!

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Welcome to Viking. Suggest you read the “New to Viking” thread. It has lots of tips. 

Here is a link to the thread Clay is suggesting: Tips for New Viking Ocean Cruisers

Read the first 10 or so pages and then skip to the end, picking up the conversation around July 1, 2021. The advice starts to repeat after a while; you'll know when it is time to skip to the end and start reading about the new normal aka cruising in the time of Covid.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2021 at 10:42 PM, khuselid said:

Thanks for the tips Clay! My TA was able to dig up some good credit for us which I am grateful for! I will head on over to the tips page as we are trying to figure out air now!

Hopefully the agent was able to dig up $500 pp which would be Viking’s Max since I think that cruise is longer than 15 nights.  

• Like 1