Will Celebriy change testing to 1 day pre-cruise?

Jim_Iain

I agree. This whole testing mess is a complete waste of time. The only thing a test will tell you is whether you are infectious or not at that particular time. A day or two or three days later the result can be different as this virus like any other takes several days to show up on a test . I know people who have felt unwell, taken tests that are negative one day then positive a day or two later. It really is a lottery that we have to accept in order to live our lives. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lovescarborough said:

I agree. This whole testing mess is a complete waste of time. The only thing a test will tell you is whether you are infectious or not at that particular time. A day or two or three days later the result can be different as this virus like any other takes several days to show up on a test . I know people who have felt unwell, taken tests that are negative one day then positive a day or two later. It really is a lottery that we have to accept in order to live our lives. 

So because testing won't catch 100% of positive case we shouldn't do it at all? Um...okay

3 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

I thought you now need a negative test within 24 hour of getting on a flight to the U.S.    Celebrity has their own rules for testing and maybe they will stay with a test within 48 hours of boarding the ship.

That's the current understanding with regards to the CDC CSO guidelines with regards to all cruises leaving out of US ports. The current 24 testing requirement is only for international air travel back to the US.

25 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

That's the current understanding with regards to the CDC CSO guidelines with regards to all cruises leaving out of US ports. The current 24 testing requirement is only for international air travel back to the US.

It's one day, not 24 hours for flight testing. News media use the two interchangeably, but the CDC is very specific:

657135264_ScreenShot2021-12-03at3_21_07PM.thumb.png.60ed9927a45562d421b0bf69a3f9c567.png

The 1-day period is 1 day before the flight’s departure. The Order uses a 1-day time frame instead of 24 hours to provide more flexibility to the air passenger and aircraft operator. By using a 1-day window, test acceptability does not depend on the time of the flight or the time of day that the test sample was taken.

For example, if your flight is at 1pm on a Friday, you could board with a negative test that was taken any time on the prior Thursday.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

It's one day, not 24 hours for flight testing. News media use the two interchangeably, but the CDC is very specific:

657135264_ScreenShot2021-12-03at3_21_07PM.thumb.png.60ed9927a45562d421b0bf69a3f9c567.png

The 1-day period is 1 day before the flight’s departure. The Order uses a 1-day time frame instead of 24 hours to provide more flexibility to the air passenger and aircraft operator. By using a 1-day window, test acceptability does not depend on the time of the flight or the time of day that the test sample was taken.

For example, if your flight is at 1pm on a Friday, you could board with a negative test that was taken any time on the prior Thursday.

My mistake. Thanks for clearing that up!

20 hours ago, CyberTag said:

Do these new rules allow the at-home tests or only tests that are proctored?

Current rules would require proctored testing.   The non-proctored one would have no means to determine if it were you taking the test, time test was taken and a way to verify results.   I have taken the home non-proctored and it is helpful for personal screening but not for Governmental / Air Line verification. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, lovescarborough said:

We are on the Equinox from 30th January, flying in the day before. Our intention was to test the day before our flight on our way to our overnight hotel at Heathrow and use this test for the current three days prior requirement for the cruise. If that changes to one day prior then we intend to use the Celebrity option for international guests only and test prior to boarding. The link on their website allows you to book in advance ( recommended) as soon as you have checked in online for the cruise and have an assigned boarding time. They recommend booking your test thirty minutes before your boarding time. It costs $99 per person. Okay it's a rip off but what else can we do ? I wouldn't want to be chasing around Fort Lauderdale or Miami to get a test after arrival. I agree with you that it is all getting so complicated that we really wish we hadn't bothered. 

We are on the same cruise as you. We are flying from Heathrow on the 28th and as long as the rules don't change again, we plan to test at T3 on departure which will hopefully cover both. If not we will try to test at the port.

Final payment is due today and have debated but with everything else booked and in place, we will make the payment and hope for the best.

I doubt that they will do this in that the logistics would be quite difficult unless the cruise lines would spend a small fortune setting up a facility for mass testing.

following the Science, the Binax Test is only about 50% effective in detecting CoVid in individuals without symptoms. 

A thoroughly history with a temperature check, in addition to requiring all passengers to have at least two, and preferably three vaccines would be the way to go.

• Like 1

On the NCL board they are posting about the 10 person COVID (positives) on Breakaway.  Also in the news if anybody is interested.  All current passengers will be tested before leaving the ship.  NCL requires vaccinations and pre-cruise 2 day testing.  So this is happening despite those procedures.  

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

On the NCL board they are posting about the 10 person COVID (positives) on Breakaway.  Also in the news if anybody is interested.  All current passengers will be tested before leaving the ship.  NCL requires vaccinations and pre-cruise 2 day testing.  So this is happening despite those procedures.  

For those too busy to follow the links - 3200 persons onboard, not sure if that’s just passengers or truly everyone. Sounds like the cruise was not cut short - more like someone in NOLA media heard about the number and it’s news now because of Omicron jitters.

One poster makes a good point - NOLA has and has had a much more stringent Covid policy than almost anywhere in the south, and even in the pre-Delta lull last summer, they were doing more enforcement than anywhere else I had been.

Almost positive these 10 cases are Delta, but I hope they sequence a couple.

37 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

For those too busy to follow the links - 3200 persons onboard, not sure if that’s just passengers or truly everyone. Sounds like the cruise was not cut short - more like someone in NOLA media heard about the number and it’s news now because of Omicron jitters.

One poster makes a good point - NOLA has and has had a much more stringent Covid policy than almost anywhere in the south, and even in the pre-Delta lull last summer, they were doing more enforcement than anywhere else I had been.

Almost positive these 10 cases are Delta, but I hope they sequence a couple.

According to Reuters it is over 3,000 passengers -

(Reuters) - A cruise ship set to dock in New Orleans with over 3,000 passengers has detected 10 cases of COVID-19 among its crew and guests, the Louisiana Department of Health said late on Saturday.

The cruise ship Norwegian Breakaway, owned by Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd, departed New Orleans on a weeklong cruise on Nov. 28 and had stops in Belize, Honduras and Mexico, the health agency said.

5 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

According to Reuters it is over 3,000 passengers -

(Reuters) - A cruise ship set to dock in New Orleans with over 3,000 passengers has detected 10 cases of COVID-19 among its crew and guests, the Louisiana Department of Health said late on Saturday.

The cruise ship Norwegian Breakaway, owned by Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd, departed New Orleans on a weeklong cruise on Nov. 28 and had stops in Belize, Honduras and Mexico, the health agency said.

But, the City of New Orleans says "There are more than 3200 individuals onboard"...

262976547_669778890679502_71119078100595

Since they do not(speaking about Celebrity now) test during the cruise so the 10 people must have been showing symptoms.  Kind of scary that this is happening.  We just got off the Apex with no issue and we all were allowed to not have to wear masks at all.

6 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

That report is not correct. (The ship would be nearly full if it were.) The number is the total of pax and crew. 

7 hours ago, TeeRick said:

This will likely happen more often now with Omicron being much more contagious than Delta and breakthrough infections already being reported with this new variant.

Here’s an interesting fact from this CNN report that I haven’t read in previous posted articles. 

All crew members and passengers are fully vaccinated and all 10 cases are asymptomatic, the cruise line said in a statement.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/05/us/cruise-ship-norwegian-breakaway-covid-cases/index.html

8 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Here’s an interesting fact from this CNN report that I haven’t read in previous posted articles. 

All crew members and passengers are fully vaccinated and all 10 cases are asymptomatic, the cruise line said in a statement.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/05/us/cruise-ship-norwegian-breakaway-covid-cases/index.html

Yeah I read that a little bit ago. Makes you wonder if everyone is truly asymptomatic, who fell on their sword and went to medical?

If that report is correct, perhaps they are randomly testing crew and someone turned up positive and the others were found with contact tracing.

6 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

Yeah I read that a little bit ago. Makes you wonder if everyone is truly asymptomatic, who fell on their sword and went to medical?

If that report is correct, perhaps they are randomly testing crew and someone turned up positive and the others were found with contact tracing.

I know the crew, if like Celebrity, gets tested every two weeks. Also, if there were passengers flying back to their home country, say Canada, they would need to get tested prior to disembarkation for their flight back home. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Turtles06 said:

The crew on NCL are tested weekly. 

A crew member on my Celebrity cruise last week said they are tested 2 x on a cruise of 10 days or more.  I really hope they don't drop down to 1 day. Sailing on the Edge in January and was planning to get an antigen test the day prior to flight.  

• Like 1

It doesn’t matter if it is 24 hours, as long as Celebrity does the test onboard.   Of course those folks wanting to do a quick getaway as the ship docks will hope it is at most 24 hours before you land in the U.S.   If not, there would be some early morning testing done the day before the ship docks.