Problem on the breakaway in NO

seaman11

2 minutes ago, NavArch64 said:

Yes, it would appear that NCL COVID19 protocols are going to get a detailed media examination on this case. We shall see.

Yep.

Just 'google' "new orleans news cruise ship" and use 'tools time to "past hour" and the hits just light up.

This appears to be the biggest reaction to cases on cruise ships since they resumed.

Again, agree that the there will be a detailed media examination.

As an aside, on some of the news sites where comments are allowed, there are the usual expected negative opinions about cruise ships, then into vaccines, then into politics.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seemoreroyals said:

Not much info currently.  The article from 8:19 last night is about it.  Just watched local NOLA news .  There report was basically a recap of the story reported yesterday.  We did get an automated call on our cell phone around noon yesterday.  "Important info from NCL:  Embarkation for Breakaway tomorrow will be delayed.  Please do not arrive prior to 12PM & add 2 hours to your selected embark time."  Received at 12:47 yesterday.   

Our testing slot today is 9:30 -10AM.  We are going to walk down to Marriot where we are supposed to get tested around 9am and see what we can find out.   The message they sent us is very ambiguous and certain to lead to mass confusion among those of us hoping to embark on our cruise from NOLA today.

41 minutes ago, wolft927 said:

I am a staying right next to pier. Covid testing will still start at 9am as scheduled for todays sailing

Can you both post updates when you get down there? We're out closer to the airport and trying to figure out when to go down. Have a 9am slot, but not looking like that will happen

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Juncti said:

Can you both post updates when you get down there? We're out closer to the airport and trying to figure out when to go down. Have a 9am slot, but not looking like that will happen

We would love updates too.  We have about a 2 hr drive and it would help to know the situation, so we know when to drive in.  Thanks!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, At Sea At Peace said:

Yep.

Just 'google' "new orleans news cruise ship" and use 'tools time to "past hour" and the hits just light up.

This appears to be the biggest reaction to cases on cruise ships since they resumed.

Again, agree that the there will be a detailed media examination.

As an aside, on some of the news sites where comments are allowed, there are the usual expected negative opinions about cruise ships, then into vaccines, then into politics.  

USA Today ran an article over a month ago that, at that time, there had been over 450 COVID cases on post-restart cruise ships. Old news,,, but it is slow news day. 

NCL has had to hire private medical charters to get passengers out of ports where isolation options were limited. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Juncti said:

We just got back from walking down to pier.   Talked to several passengers getting off ship.  They acted like it was no big deal and seemed surprised we were concerned.

Next, walked over to testing.  2nd floor Marriot about a block or two away.  They said they would begin testing as scheduled at 9am.  So it appears we are to test as scheduled.  Will share more after we get back from testing.

• Like 4

The "new" news is that it would appear that NCL has agreed to test all disembarking guests in this case. The interesting detail here is whether NCL decided to do that unilaterally, or whether the Port of New Orleans (the administrative port authority) directed them to do that. Finally, of course, how long will that take. 

• Like 6

Just now, BirdTravels said:

USA Today ran an article over a month ago that, at that time, there had been over 450 COVID cases on post-restart cruise ships. Old news,,, but it is slow news day. 

Yep.

If it stays at 10 cases out of 3,000 that is 0.0033.

Since cruise resumption from US ports, 1,400 out of 600,000 is 0.0023.

https://www.travelpulse.com/news/cruise/cdc-reports-number-of-covid-19-cases-on-us-cruise-ships-from-past-four-months.html

"A total of 1,359 laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 cases were reported on cruise ships sailing from the United States between June 26 and October 21, based on the latest data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)."

"Of the nearly 1,400 positive results, which include both passengers and crew members, 49 required hospitalization and 38 prompted medical evacuations. However, the total figure represents a tiny fraction of the passengers who set sail during the four-month period, with Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) estimating that as many as 600,000 passengers sailed from U.S. ports between June and October."

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, NavArch64 said:

Yes, it would appear that NCL COVID19 protocols are going to get a detailed media examination on this case. We shall see.

Do not underestimate Mayor Cantrell's input into the handling of this situation.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, seemoreroyals said:

BTW I talked to a couple of luggage handlers and they said no way there was over 3,000 passengers on ship.  The 3200 quoted probably included crew.  They said if they had to guess there were about 1800 passengers debarking.

This says 3200 individuals not passengers and this came out AFTER the testing was completed yesterday.

No description available.

• Like 3

If these people were tested at time of embarkation and were negative then they must have got infected during the cruise means during the port stays.

So i would assume that if any changed to the protocols are made then it would be that individual excursions will not be allowed any more for future cruises and only ship excursions.

Anyway,looking forward to the outcome of the now following investigations.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, flapr said:

I find it odd that folks on board are not posting to this Forum — just saying!

I find that weird too, everyone has a smart phone these days. They are at home port. Someone on board you would think would post something.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, CruiseMH said:

If these people were tested at time of embarkation and were negative then they must have got infected during the cruise means during the port stays.

I'm not sure that's necessarily true.  I had a family member exposed on a Tuesday and was tested daily.  They did not test positive until Saturday.  Someone could have easily been exposed at home or on the plane or any number of places prior to embarkment and could have still tested negative and been allowed to board.

• Like 17

2 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

I find that weird too, everyone has a smart phone these days. They are at home port. Someone on board you would think would post something.  

AFAIK they were simply told it was a requirement now to enter the US. Which there is for flying into the country. No panic onboard only on social media.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, peg013 said:

AFAIK they were simply told it was a requirement now to enter the US. Which there is for flying into the country. No panic onboard only on social media.

No need to panic but id think post whats going on if something like this happened onboard, i surely would .

Edited by seaman11
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

During past Norovirus on board incidents, passengers were posting their heads off …

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

No need to panic but id think post whats going on if something like this happened onboard, i surely would .

Some were posting and there were plenty of discussions. We knew all about it last evening. Even a video of the Captain explaining how testing would be held. Guess everyone was all over at the "other" website. I didn't think to come here until this morning.

Edited by peg013
grammar
  • Like 1