Viking Star Deluxe Veranda Cabin Question

Goofyisme

We are considering a cruise on the Viking Star.  We would travel in a Deluxe Veranda cabin but all the pictures that I have found seem to show very limited drawer storage space.  For those who have traveled in this category what has been your experience with storage in this class of cabin. 

Thanks for your information.

3 minutes ago, Goofyisme said:

We are considering a cruise on the Viking Star.  We would travel in a Deluxe Veranda cabin but all the pictures that I have found seem to show very limited drawer storage space.  For those who have traveled in this category what has been your experience with storage in this class of cabin. 

It is very limited and that is why we get a PV, the size just above. If it wasn't for storage, we would get a DV.

We have sailed in DV for two World Cruises and managed with it just fine.  Lots of good info on the various world cruse blogs and threads.  We find them very comfortable.  The large bed helps and life is just not the same when you don't have the heated floors in the bath....

Depending on the length of the sailing, we found the storage in a DV room adequate for a 10-night sailing. If we were to be on a longer cruise, we may upgrade. 

That being said. I’ve only been in newer ships (Sun and Jupiter). There is a three-drawer cabinet inside the closet, which is useful. 

Not sure if the DV rooms on the older ships (Star, Sea and Sky) are retrofitted with the cabinets. 

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

We have sailed in DV for two World Cruises and managed with it just fine.  Lots of good info on the various world cruse blogs and threads.  We find them very comfortable.  The large bed helps and life is just not the same when you don't have the heated floors in the bath....

Jim, the Viking Sun, which you sailed on for the World Cruises, was equipped with more draws inside the closet. That makes a big difference. I haven't heard if the Viking Star, which is doing the next World Cruise starting any day now from Miami, has been retrofitted. Sea and Sky have not been retrofitted.

Enough space is a matter of how much you pack. If you are one who packs light, carry-ons only or one large shared suitcase, then there is plenty of space. If you check one maximum sized suitcase per person, you will find things to be tight. If you only count drawers as storage space and ignore all the shelf space, over the hanging rail in the closet and two or three shelves above the drawers, then storage space will be limited.

00-Ql6biy-mZ87rWVfOSHXTCdySImIvB1QE_lBESTb4fGPoWq7bgW8Th6X6e6xO0rLv?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1466426679

On ships equipped with drawers in the closet, there will be hanging space above drawers but no shelf above the rail.

00-Ql6biy-mZ87rWVfOSHXTCdySImIvB1QE_lBES

Three drawers. The top"drawer" holds the safe. Two shelves above the coffee-maker -- and the stewards will clear our the coffeemaker shelf if you ask, to give another usable shelf.

Edited by Peregrina651

One also has  the nightstand with a small drawer and a self below on each. In the bathroom ,  there are two deep drawers. and lower shelf on each side and then  upper shelve on each side of sink for toiletries.

We did sail on the Orion and Venus which has another set of drawers in the closet. I had sailed on the Viking Sea which did not have the closet set of drawers. 

I did make the Sea  space work on a 15 day cruise. I pack clothes for seven days and use the laundry. No problem  being in a DV cabin.  Had the  steward take out the coffee maker in both cabins, which frees up a big self. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, delpotro said:

Hi , can anyone tell me what the laundry facilities are like on the Viking ships as we are going to be away for a month!

You can also use the search function to find the other threads that discuss the laundry facilities. They will tell you everything you need to know and even include pictures.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, delpotro said:

Hi , can anyone tell me what the laundry facilities are like on the Viking ships as we are going to be away for a month!

Laundry is located Port side about midships, on Decks 3, 4, 5 & 6. Decks 7 & 8 have no laundry, as most of those cabins have complimentary laundry/dry cleaning from the ship's laundry.

On Dk 4 on Viking Sun we had 4 washers/dryers. As mentioned previously, the soap is included

16 hours ago, Goofyisme said:

Similar to Jim, we survived an almost entire World Cruise in a DV, which was a 50% bigger  than our first World Cruise cabin on another cruise line.

Yes, the Sun had the 3 additional drawers, but that also reduced the hanging space for long items. We had no issues, as clothing not being used at that time was kept in the cases under the bed. Once the weather changed, it was easy to change. 

My first ship we had 3 of us in a cabin not much bigger than the Viking bathrooms and DW's first ship had 4 in a cabin less than 1/2 the size of a DV. Therefore, we find the DV's more than spacious, even for over 100 days.🙂

• Like 1

20 hours ago, sleepybobo said:

Depending on the length of the sailing, we found the storage in a DV room adequate for a 10-night sailing. If we were to be on a longer cruise, we may upgrade. 

That being said. I’ve only been in newer ships (Sun and Jupiter). There is a three-drawer cabinet inside the closet, which is useful. 

Not sure if the DV rooms on the older ships (Star, Sea and Sky) are retrofitted with the cabinets. 

Was on the Sky in July and just returned from the Sea.  No drawers in closet.  Our Sky cruise was 7 days and we managed with the limited storage.  We asked for more hangers and brought a foldable 3-shelf unit that hangs from the closet pole.  It worked out fine.  The person on that side of the bed got the hanging shelf, the other person got the 3 drawers in the hall.  We also utilized the small drawer in the night stand as well as that open shelf.  Sometimes the difference between DV and PV is cost prohibitive.  On longer cruises we do prefer a PV on these earlier launched ships.

I guess it depends on how much you pack.  I was on the Venus in DV which has drawers and I didn't even use all of them.  For an 11 day cruise I assume I will be wearing my clothing more than once and using the laundry, so everything goes in a carryon, and the suitcase goes under the bed.  

• Like 2

A couple of thoughts:

At your local dollar store, you can find lightweight foldable "storage boxes".  Take a couple and use them to hold stuff you use on a regular basis.  The floor area under the desk can take a couple without interfering with the desk chair.  Or under your coffee table.  And at a buck apiece, you can even leave them behind for the trip home.

The suitcases under the bed can be used as a kind of "pull out" drawer.  Put your coats and rain gear, plus other infrequently needed items in there.  Or use it as a dirty clothes hamper.

If you don't use the hair dryer, put it in the bathroom center compartment, next to the waste basket.  Frees up room in the "three drawer".

Bathroom drawers are amazingly big - consider using them for more than just toiletries, which can go on the bathroom shelves and counter.

Don't expect to use the nightstand drawer for much...it's less than 2 inches in height.

Store your backpack between/behind the chairs in the sitting area.  You can grab it easily when needed.

IMO, the designers went for the sleek Nordic look - and weren't actual cruisers who appreciate maximizing space in a cabin.  The flip-top desk is next to useless - no real drawers and the flip-top means you can't really set up the desk as a computer work station.  A pull-out drawer would have been more useful, but not as "chic".  And the pull out fridge is a huge waste of space - could have put a fridge and drawers in the same area.  Plus don't get me started on the lack of bookcase-type shelving at the desk.

Good luck.

• Like 4

FlyerTalker...those are great suggestions....wondering if you have sailed in a low grade cabin on another line that indeed did use space a better way?  we are going to SA and then onto to Europe in early Spring so I think the different weathers are going to be a packing challenge...layers and waterproof for sure....our suitcases under the bed will definitely be an additional storage area!  Usually we put souvenirs  in one.

5 hours ago, deec said:

FlyerTalker...those are great suggestions....wondering if you have sailed in a low grade cabin on another line that indeed did use space a better way? 

Yes and no.  Seabourn is equally sparse.  Silversea, Crystal and Regent have cabins with a lot more storage space, including desks with bookshelves and drawers, nightstands with drawers and more.  For example, a standard cabin on Crystal has 5 drawers at the desk area, 4 in the closet, and 2 in each nightstand.  Plus three undersink cabinets in the bathroom, and three bookshelves at the desk.  And a cabinet for storing of ice-bucket, glasses and bar setup.

Is storage a deal breaker or maker?  Not in and of itself, at least to us.  But it is one of the many small factors that go into making a cruise purchase decision.

Sadly, many features of modern cruise ships are driven by visual appeal vs functionality.  "Will it look good in the brochure and website?" gets asked instead of "Does this room work well for the onboard needs of our customers?"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Storage is an issue for me and I agree with fly talker.  Viking did aesthetics over function in the lower grade cabins.  This is true on their river cruise ships also. It may be okay for shorter 7 day trips but I can’t imagine doing a world cruise in one. I would be very frustrated.  I’m willing to do some laundry but not every few days just to take less.  And pulling suitcases in and out from under the bed is arduous.  It means someone didn’t plan the room right.  Since Viking often does longer trips there should be more storage.

I hadn’t thought of taking the larger 12x12 foldable boxes for under the desk or table storage so thanks for that suggestion.  I do use the hanging shelves and take a hanging shoe holder too because I’m guilty of taking too many shoes. 

A PV would be perfect if it weren’t for the price.

We have sailed in both DV and PV cabins.  After sailing in the PV we would not go back to the DV.

In the PV cabins there is more space, 338 sq ft  with  a loveseat and and 1 chair.  The closet is across from the bath door. The DV is 270 sq ft with one 2 chairs. The DV closet door is by the bed.  In the PV cabin we put up 2 removable hooks on the side of the closet wall to hold jackets..  Also put a small one on the door to hold cabin key cards.

We had plenty of storage in the DV cabin, just prefer the room in a PV. We did keep some item, such as snorkeling equipment in the suitcases under the bed.  The clearance between the bed and floor is high and easy to push suitcases under the bed.

Laundromat is FREE. 

I also sailed in a PV1 once when offered a low price to upgrade. Yes, there are many features over the standard V or DV, and we did like it much better. However, when looking at the cost, usually it’s not worth it to us. We recently booked British Isles for May, 2023. We booked the cheapest veranda. To book the cheapest PV3, the difference would be an additional $2,500 per person, or $5,000. We don’t feel it’s worth that much more to us as we can do fine with a V.

• Like 2

On 12/17/2021 at 10:38 AM, MSEm said:

We have sailed in both DV and PV cabins.  After sailing in the PV we would not go back to the DV.

In the PV cabins there is more space, 338 sq ft  with  a loveseat and and 1 chair.  The closet is across from the bath door. The DV is 270 sq ft with one 2 chairs. The DV closet door is by the bed.  In the PV cabin we put up 2 removable hooks on the side of the closet wall to hold jackets..  Also put a small one on the door to hold cabin key cards.

Please tell me more about these removable hooks. I’d like to look into those.