Rank your favorite ncl specialty restaurants

havanadaydreaming

Onda

Cagneys

Los Lobos

Teppanyaki

Chinese restaurant on Epic (don't think it exists anymore)

Tex Mex restaurant on Jewel (does not exist anymore)

Food republic

Le Bistro (least favorite.  French food in a can)

Would not even dignify putting La Cucina on the list.  You can score better pasta at the buffet.  Even Dennys had better spaghetti 🤣

Edited by david_sobe

Only had one sample, on the Jewel, with a family party of eight.

1. Cagney's. Great meal, atmosphere, service.
  2. La Cucina.  Last meal together before disembarkation.  Food was good, enjoyable place.
  3. Moderno.  I've been to several churrascarrias both in Brazil and the states.  This was good but not great.  The members of our party who had never been to one loved it.  I don't need to do it again.

For our upcoming cruise we picked Cagney's, Ocean Blue and Le Bistro.  La Cucina would have been one of my choices but my seafood loving wife overruled and picked Ocean Blue.  No interest in Teppanyaki.  Went to Benihana once in the 80s and that was enough.  Neither Q nor Los Lobos will be on the ship we chose, but living in the southwest we're pretty particular about Mexican food and barbecue so we would never choose those.  

• 1 month later...

I'm very curious to hear more about Onda from cruisers. That will be new to us. Honestly, the only things that excite me are 1-3 below and trying Ocean Blue. Everything else I'm pretty blase' about. 

1. Food Republic
2. Pincho Tapas

3. Bayamo
4. Le Bistro (more consistently good than Cagneys, but a little bored with them)
5. Cagneys (inconsistent, but feels a little nicer than others below)
6. Moderno (my experiences have all been good there, unlike what many of you state)
7. Shanghai Noodle bar (I forget the ship it's on)
8. La Cucina (I had two decent experiences, but I'd rather do the MDR if anything sounds good there)

Need to try next cruise: Ocean Blue...guessing it will place in my top 4.

Never will try unless it's forced on me: Teppanyaki

Doubtful I will try: Los Lobos (low on my interest, but several of you have good things to say, so maybe?) and Q (I don't eat brisket outside of Texas, am picky about ribs, and am seriously doubting their ability to do any decent bbq on a cruise ship)

Edited by weltek
  • Like 2

1. Ocean Blue (prefer it slightly over Bayamo)

2. LeBistro

3.  Pinchos

4. Cagneys

When we sail on the Escape, we tend to hit Pinchos for appetizers a few nights  or for a snack. Authentic tapas and well priced.  We also like Food Republic but not too crazy about cocktails there.  And breakfast at The Local!  La Cucina has been hit or miss as with Moderno.   When we eat at speciality restaurants, I like things that are more special or romantic, not something I would typically go to any day of the week at home.  Haven't went to Teppanyaki yet but I guess that would be fun with a group of friends.  We have been happy with the sushi bars!  I tend to lean more towards seafood, my husband steak.

Edited by RunBikeCruiseDC

5 hours ago, weltek said:

I'm very curious to hear more about Onda from cruisers. That will be new to us. Honestly, the only things that excite me are 1-3 below and trying Ocean Blue. Everything else I'm pretty blase' about. 

1. Food Republic
2. Pincho Tapas

3. Bayamo
4. Le Bistro (more consistently good than Cagneys, but a little bored with them)
5. Cagneys (inconsistent, but feels a little nicer than others below)
6. Moderno (my experiences have all been good there, unlike what many of you state)
7. Shanghai Noodle bar (I forget the ship it's on)
8. La Cucina (I had two decent experiences, but I'd rather do the MDR if anything sounds good there)

Need to try next cruise: Ocean Blue...guessing it will place in my top 4.

Never will try unless it's forced on me: Teppanyaki

Doubtful I will try: Los Lobos (low on my interest, but several of you have good things to say, so maybe?) and Q (I don't eat brisket outside of Texas, am picky about ribs, and am seriously doubting their ability to do any decent bbq on a cruise ship)

Oh - I forgot the noodle bar!  I think it's on Getaway and Breakaway?  Maybe on Joy, too.  I like that.  I have no interest in Q, period.  We did hear good things about Los lobos, went there for chips and quacamole but not a meal.  Like you, I eat that a lot on land (and if the cruise is to mexican ports, why bother).

Edited by RunBikeCruiseDC

On 12/17/2021 at 9:13 PM, cruising sister said:

Ocean Blue. (Best steak )

La Cucina (best bread)

Cagneys ( not good on Joy)

Our experience too. Hubby's Filet Mignon was full of sinew and was not chewable.......at all. Sent it back and waited 15 minutes for the replacement which was ordered "medium". The meat was walking off the plate when it was served so bloody. Yikes! We walked out (had no desert). I was already done with my entrée which was perfect but poor hubby just had the side dishes to eat and he is not a vegetarian. LOL.

Edited by coffeebean

LeBistro

Cagney's

MDR

Noodle Bar

O'Sheehan's (wings!)

As a few others have stated.  Teppanyaki - only if I am cruising with those who haven't seen volcanic onions. LaCucina was just OK, and last but not least Moderno is a HARD NO,

Looking forward to trying out Ocean Blue and the BarBQ when I get the opportunity.

We are not seafood eaters so our choices are a little different than others:

1. Los Lobos - we seek out ships with Los Lobos.  Awesome service, great food, lots of choices

2. Moderno - LOVE the grilled pineapple (I make my own now) and cheese bread.  Plus as good as filets as you can get in Cagney's, IMO.

3. Teppanyaki - the garlic rice, yum!

4. Q - pleasantly surprised, but SO much food

5. Cagneys - hit or miss with food and service.  Thanksgiving on the Bliss was the best experience we ever had and would rank higher if every experience was that good.

6. La Cucina - nothing I'd pay extra for, but with free meals it's okay for a change

On 12/18/2021 at 2:24 AM, ChiefMateJRK said:

Great thread!

Unfortunately, it's hard for me to answer, because at times the same venue that wowed me on the last cruise was crap the next time.

I've had my best experience at Cagneys.

Worst at Moderno and Ocean Blue (just one data point for each, Moderno showed pictures with delicious pink meats, but everything delivered was dry and brown).

Tepanyaki is always a nice show.  Food has varied.

Italian is good, but for me wasn't worth paying extra.

I agree with you about Moderno. We ate there on our December 11 Escape cruise.  I knew we were in trouble when the first words out of the server's mouth were, "I hope medium cooked meats are ok for you."  Dry, over-cooked, brown, and tough are the best descriptive terms of the meat you will be served at  Moderno. The rack of lamb was passable.  The salad bar was good.  After that experience, I would not recommend making reservations there.  To be honest, we enjoyed the main dining rooms more than any of the specialty restaurants we tried.

From the Gem in August 2021

1. Le Bistro -- Excellent appetizers, wonderful variety main course, desert, service

2. Moderno -- Best main course, excellent service, grilled pineapple is fantastic

2.5 Cagney's -- Very good, but Moderno has better meats. 🙂 Not quite the service as Le Bistro and less satisfying selection.

4. Teppanyaki -- Very entertaining and enjoyable atmosphere.

I didn't try La Cucina. We have lots of Italian near us at home (but also hibachi, so ....) I didn't see Ocean Blue on the Gem and it doesn't seem an option on the Epic (my next cruise). I think I'd like it.

I have only cruised on Breakaway class ships.

1. Haven Restaurant - in a class by itself

2. Le Bistro - consistently good food

3. Food Republic - great variety and fun place to eat

4. Onda - it’s not OG

5. Los Lobos - some selections are great, others not so much

6. La Cucina - not as bad as some people make out

7. Ocean Blue - had one bad experience which tainted the ranking 

8. Moderno - not our cup of tea

9. Cagney’s - awful, we don’t book anymore 

10. Q - if that’s real BBQ I’m turning vegan 

Onda

Cagney's

Moderno

Q

Los Lobos

Food Republic

I know it's not too popular on here, but our experiences with the American Diner on Encore were superlative. But I didn't put it on the list above because I'm not sure why, other than a la carte pricing, it i a specialty venue. Virtually the same thing on POA (Cadillac Diner) is free.

>> La Cucina - not as bad as some people make out<<

high praise indeed... they ought to put that on a poster outside the restaurant!

; )

i have been disappointed by la cucina twice... on the breakaway and on the bliss.

i don't understand the bad reviews moderno gets. i find it in every way almost equal to land-based churrascarias. the salad bar is amazing and as far as the meats... they do indeed offer each meat at various temperatures and nobody i know has ever had a problem getting something medium or rare or well done. if it's not on the skewer, they will go get it for you. i recognize the experience may have been different for some, but my experiences have always been excellent. sometimes i wonder if posters' distaste for moderno is based more on their dislike of the churrascaria concept in general rather than anything really to do with moderno itself. moderno is basically an upscale buffet, with heavy emphasis on meat.

i'm a big fan of los lobos. excellent food and the mexican street corn is out of this world.

i found Q to be an interesting concept, and the food was decent (although rather small portions), but the restaurant itself was a bad experience for me because i don't want to listen to live (and loud) country western music while dining. Q has been announced for the "food hall" on the prima, i think, and i'd be all over the opportunity to walk up, order some ribs or pulled pork, then walk away and eat it without all the fanfare of the formal dining hall.

cagney's is hit or miss in my experience, mostly miss. it doesn't live up to its reputation in my opinion. and many of the same cuts of beef can be had at le bistro, generally prepared and served with a greater degree of professionalism.

YMMV, as it clearly does, based on the varied opinions in this thread.

Edited by UKstages

1. Le Bistro (was surprised this was my favorite but food was outstanding)

2. Teppenyaki (it's fun and I love hibachi)

3. Pinchos (for lunch -- and I always pay here as plates are cheap -- food is amazing)

4. Cagney's (love the menu but it's been a bit hit or miss on quality)

1.  Le Bistro - has been my favorite on every NCL ship.  Fantastic experience every time.

2.  Cagneys - close second behind Bistro.  After these two, there is a big drop off for me.

3.  Los lobos - was pleasantry surprised by how good this was.  Would not use a dining package there though - always went with ala carte.

4.   La Cucina - id rate this as better than average.  If we have alot of dining packages, we will definately use 1 on cucina.

5.   O'Sheehans (not specialty dining)  - my go to late night.  Maybe its because im usually drunk when i get there, but love the pub food there.

6.   Teppanyaki - always a fun experience, but for us its a one and done on a ship because its the same experience every time.

7.  Sushi - dont like sushi, but my partner does.  He didnt seem to like it very much compared to land based sushi resraurants.

8.  Moderno - went once and it was enough for us.  We have several Brazilian steakhouses where i live and they are all signficantly better.  Would not pay for or use a dining on Moderno again.

22 hours ago, UKstages said:

i don't understand the bad reviews moderno gets. i find it in every way almost equal to land-based churrascarias. the salad bar is amazing and as far as the meats... they do indeed offer each meat at various temperatures and nobody i know has ever had a problem getting something medium or rare or well done. if it's not on the skewer, they will go get it for you. i recognize the experience may have been different for some, but my experiences have always been excellent. sometimes i wonder if posters' distaste for moderno is based more on their dislike of the churrascaria concept in general rather than anything really to do with moderno itself. moderno is basically an upscale buffet, with heavy emphasis on meat.

i'm a big fan of los lobos. excellent food and the mexican street corn is out of this world.

totally agree about moderno. we enjoy it very much. and love the salad bar

totally agree about los lobos. we sometimes go twice on a cruise. one of our favorite restaurants. 

hate hate hate cagney's right now. the service and food have gone down hill over the years (across the fleet - every ship) and has not improved post-pandemic shutdown.