Straw question

famof4togo

Yes I realize not of the utmost importance, but at least its not another covid/test thread...lol....

So I "think" I recall reading here (though I will admit it was maybe elsewhere) that Carnival has replaced those horrible flimsy paper straws with some sort of candy (???) straws????  If I recall correctly can someone, please advise more on that.....I am a candy fan but still seems odd.... especially depending on the drink type...

If I am completely wrong LOL....does Carnival use those flimsy paper straws?  I hate those in pool cocktails.....never make it till the end for me...

TIA......

They only had the candy straws on MG a couple of months ago.  No sign of a paper or other type of straw.  You can purchase reusable stainless steel or silicon straws. Some people bring their own plastic straws.  I chose to bring individually wrapped biodegradable cornstarch straws. They are great.  

Carnival stopped giving out plastic straws a few years ago.  They give out the candy flavored straws for certain drinks from the bar, as well as milkshakes.  They are horrible! They are slimy and hard to use.  If you don't  use them fairly quick, they become unusable.  We take our own plastic straws to use.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, famof4togo said:

Yes I realize not of the utmost importance, but at least its not another covid/test thread...lol....

So I "think" I recall reading here (though I will admit it was maybe elsewhere) that Carnival has replaced those horrible flimsy paper straws with some sort of candy (???) straws????  If I recall correctly can someone, please advise more on that.....I am a candy fan but still seems odd.... especially depending on the drink type...

If I am completely wrong LOL....does Carnival use those flimsy paper straws?  I hate those in pool cocktails.....never make it till the end for me...

TIA......

No paper straw but the sugar ones are just as bad. After about 5 minutes they start to feel slimy/gooey and very flimsy.  They do sell reusable metal & silicone ones onboard.  I saw them at most bars

We have been on 2 cruises since the restart...Pride in September and Magic in November. We did not see any paper straws, but did have the candy ones...they....su....I mean were bad. I don't have to many of the fruity drinks when cruising...maybe 3-5.....that would be typically served with a straw...I'm a brown liquor fan....however after one drink with the draws on the Pride...we darn near ran to Cherry on Top to purchase the re-useable metal straws....something I'd said I'd never do...but...things change...and we brought them on the Magic with us. 

46 minutes ago, famof4togo said:

TIA......

They serve Sorbos Edible Straws. You can find some on Amazon. I personally do not like them. They also "collapse" and become slimly if you don't gulp your drink down very fast. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

Carnival will provide you with a sugar straw for some drinks and annoyingly deny your request for others. Plastic straws in my area along the beach have made a massive comeback during Covid. Hopefully they return to the cruise lines soon.

#TeamPlastic

Not to hijack but...   In what universe does it make sense to forbid plastic straws yet encourage (or at least sell) 1000's of plastic bottles of water???  smh!!!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I wish they would just not allow people to bring on plastic straws either. They can't be recycled like the water bottles and they are small and light enough to get into the ocean easily.

I know the alternative paper and candy straws are disgusting, I hate them too but I brought on stainless straws and while a bit more effort they worked just fine.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jelly_Toast said:

I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I wish they would just not allow people to bring on plastic straws either. They can't be recycled like the water bottles and they are small and light enough to get into the ocean easily.

I know the alternative paper and candy straws are disgusting, I hate them too but I brought on stainless straws and while a bit more effort they worked just fine.

Stop it!!   On the ship go shopping and they'll give you a plastic bag.  Go eat and you'll get a plastic knife, a plastic fork and a plastic spoon all wrapped in plastic.  Throw you trash into a can lined with plastic!!!   Yet it's the plastic straw that will ruin the ocean!!!

• Like 10

18 minutes ago, ULCajunCruiser said:

Stop it!!   On the ship go shopping and they'll give you a plastic bag.  Go eat and you'll get a plastic knife, a plastic fork and a plastic spoon all wrapped in plastic.  Throw you trash into a can lined with plastic!!!   Yet it's the plastic straw that will ruin the ocean!!!

Or every little bit helps and not using plastic straws is a little bit.  Shouldn't be that tough to comprehend.

• Like 1

Does every little bit help?...with China and India doing what they do with no intention of changing does a few plastic straws in the USA actually make an actual difference...I would like to believe that, but I can't say that I do.....

• Like 5

Well, I stopped using plastic straws quite a while back. I'm not an an environmental nut, but I do think microplastics are a real concern. But on our next cruise I will be taking plastic straws. It is a temporary thing until masking goes away.

Just try "sip and cover" with a N-95 mask. The only practical way is to pull it up some and slip a straw to your mouth. That works fairly easily but only with a bendable straw. Given the options of catch covid or don't drink on the cruise or use a plastic straw I know my choice.

• Like 1

The sugar straws are horrendous.  They are slimy, go limp and internally collapse well before the drink was over.  We were drinking Pina Coladas on the MG last month and all the bar had was chocolate flavored that day. It certainly took away from the drink and the experience.

You have thousands of people on a ship, most of whom flew to the port, now sailing on the most polluting form of vacationing in existence,  surrounded by nothing but waste from food to energy all for entertainment........but you are saving the world by not having a plastic straw.🙄

• Like 1

I drank a peach smoothie on 11/29/21 without a straw because I didn't want any other flavor in the drink.  I couldn't taste any difference using the chocolate straw in my chocolate shake on 12/3/21.  The straw also didn't go limp or slimy.  I only used the sugar straw because I forgot to bring my plastic straws on that cruise.

4 hours ago, Jelly_Toast said:

I have never seen anyone toss a plastic straw overboard but have seen numerous kids toss found rubber ducks over board.  Let's ban those first.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ULCajunCruiser said:

Not to hijack but...   In what universe does it make sense to forbid plastic straws yet encourage (or at least sell) 1000's of plastic bottles of water???  smh!!!

The difference is that plastic bottles can be recycled, plastic straws can't be (they are too small and fall through the machinery). 

Edited by Dunk
typo
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Jelly_Toast said:

I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I wish they would just not allow people to bring on plastic straws either.

People with some disabilities need straws. I use paper, but I can’t see telling somebody who physically can’t drink from a glass not to bring a straw in. 

19 hours ago, RoperDK said:

They only had the candy straws on MG a couple of months ago.  No sign of a paper or other type of straw.  You can purchase reusable stainless steel or silicon straws. Some people bring their own plastic straws.  I chose to bring individually wrapped biodegradable cornstarch straws. They are great.  

I've bought these as well to bring along for the last couple of cruises. I'm sure everyone thinks they are plastic because you can't visually tell a difference. They seem to work good, just a little fragile in hot and cold liquid. They will shatter if pinched on purpose.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, CruisingAgain said:

the sugar straws don't work for me at all!!!   I eat them before I finish my drink.  🙂

Same here - LOL!  DH and I are one of the few who actually like them, especially the strawberry flavor.  The chocolate ones - aren't good or bad.....just no flavor at all.  But to each his own!