ms Nieuw Amsterdam in Port Everglades January 8, 2022

Scrapnana

7 minutes ago, Petunia1950 said:

But Gus Antorcha’s letter (see #4 above) specifically used the term "repositioned".  I guess we'll just have to track her on one of the ship tracking websites in order to really know where she's going ...

I suspect the repositioning will be to be anchored offshore of Freeport.  That's where many of the ships seem to have been during the lay off of cruising.  I agree that it is an odd use of the word "repositioning".  But, again, this is an HAL executive that has minimal knowledge of the world of cruising.  

5 hours ago, Naismith said:

But they are repositioning the ship BECAUSE the charters postponed.  Which may well have been a COVID-inspired decision.  The Country Music Cruise scheduled on Jan 15th had some Big Names playing, and those folks may have refused to go on board because of Covid.

I live in Florida, where I usher at a performing arts venue, and we have had quite a few acts cancel January bookings because of the Covid surge.

So many things are being cancelled. My symphony concert this evening is now a shortened chamber concert because so many musicians are under quarantine right now. Both our Art Museum and History Museum are shuttered until February 1 because they had so many employees out they couldn’t safely open. I was surprised that the Malt Shop Memories Cruise actually sailed back in October-the performers on that one are among some of the oldest performers sailing with Starvista. 

St Louis Sal

• Like 1

22 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

So charters are more important than providing the experience that those displaced guests were expecting?  

It seems that HAL's January Caribbean cruises are a favorite with charters, and it can be dicey when trying to plan a cruise for this time of year.  Lots of research, reading CC boards, and  Googling to find any hint of a charter date are required. 🙂 

A few years ago I had a group bumped off a cruise and moved to another sailing because of a charter (the alternate cruise was 3 weeks later) even though the  group had been booked with HAL a year in advance.  For the Jan. 8 cancellation, it's very unfortunate that a regular cruise - with a sail date prior to 2 subsequent charter cruises - was affected by the charter organizers' decision to reschedule.    

Edited by Boatdrill

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

I agree that it is an odd use of the word "repositioning".  But, again, this is an HAL executive that has minimal knowledge of the world of cruising.  

Gus Antorcha worked at Carnival for several years before coming to HAL. 

Edited by Boatdrill
  • Thanks 1

Allure just left silently.  Emerald had a couple of nice toots.  There are a couple of entries of interest on the PE schedule:

NA: 0700 1/10 to 1600 1/11

Noordam 0700 1/11 to 2000 1/12

I think I've heard some chatter that suggests that NA may be utilized as a place for healthy crew that are under quarantine because they just arrived or just vaccinated but have not tested positive while Noordam may be used for covid-positive crew.

Thanks Kathi, Lou & Dave, and fellow addicts.

Roy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2