COVID Positive Crew Transferred to Another RCL Ship

miaminative0853

I did not hear it directly but friends heard the Edge Captian's announcement yesterday when we were in port that COVID positive crew from RCL ships that were in port (including Celebrity) were being transferred to another RCL ship that was anchored nearby. I believe it was Jewel of the Seas. The Captain said the purpose was to get the positive case numbers down to enable the other ships including Edge to meet threshold requirements to be allowed to port in Nassau. Has anyone else heard of this? Thoughts on this?

5 minutes ago, verizon said:

Thats risky to passengers on either lines

They just let the virus move freely.

I my need to cancel my February cruise.

How is it risky to passengers for them to remove infected crew off the ships that are carrying passengers? RCCL confirmed a while back (maybe a week or two ago?) that these crew members are being transferred to ships that aren't currently in service. This seems like the safest option for everyone. It gives infected crew the opportunity to quarantine and recover away from uninfected crew and passengers....

Here's the article where RCCL confirms this is what they are doing:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2022/01/06/royal-caribbean-moving-covid-positive-crew-vision-rhapsody-ships/9115818002/

Edited by JamieLogical
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, verizon said:

Huh?  They're moving I'll crew off to crew only ships. (many may be asymptomatic) 

I'd much rather have ill crew taken to their own ship versus being stuck in tight spaces among the bowels of a passenger filled ship. 

I'm sure the crew have more space and better living conditions for their isolation as well. 

• Like 8

Makes a lot of sense to me. Even with isolation protocols, reducing the known positives in an enclosed space like a ship, should reduce opportunities for transmission - if everyone is positive, they won’t give it to each other - not that they aren’t still isolated, people should be.

It also allows more flexibility and space for isolating passengers who can’t be shifted to another ship, and maybe everyone who is ill gets a balcony and a bigger bed and bath.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Just one thing after another that screams out to me not to even consider cruising until Omicron subsides.  But hopefully that will be soon by all current predictions.

Three of my seven office-mates are out with COVID right now. Omicron is everywhere, including cruise ships.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, JamieLogical said:

Three of my seven office-mates are out with COVID right now. Omicron is everywhere, including cruise ships.

Yes it sure is.  At least your office mates can isolate at home.  Not in a cell on a cruise ship.

31 minutes ago, verizon said:

I my need to cancel my February cruise.

Sorry, but I think you may have misunderstood.  No passengers will be on the ship, only infected crew members.

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

So many crew that are COVID+ that they need another "hospital" ship to isolate/quarantine.  Not a good sign for cruising right now.

The reports I heard is that there are currently 7 ships being used to house COVID positive crew.  It was 3 ships, in the last week they added 4 more ships.  ALL are asymptomatic or mild symptoms.  No medical services required.

Edited by VitaminSea53

And, yet when the CDC suggested setting up hospitalization and quarantine ships to the cruise lines back in early 2020, this was seen as unjustified, and fiscally impossible.

As for who you replace them with, yes, either recovered crew or crew brought from their home country, vaccinated, and quarantined before starting work.  For hotel crew, there is a vast pool of people who have held these positions, and can be called at short notice.  What is more difficult is when the statutory marine crew (deck and engine) start having to be quarantined, the pool is smaller, and not all of them are "interchangeable" like hotel crew.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1