Free at Sea Perks changed after I asked for price drop

furgoon

Final payment for my May cruise was approaching so I checked to see if the price dropped and to my surprise it actually did drop.  I email my PC and they got back to me right away processing the drop.  Unbeknownst to me was that since they changed the program recently for the perks that this price changed seems like it was a rebook.  Before I had 2 specialty meals included and now it is only one.  Also, my "free" internet could have been upgraded on one device for 85 bucks.  Now to get unlimited on one device I have to pay 175 bucks and now the available upgrade for internet makes you select both guests unless you specifically look for the other option.  IN my opinion this is disingenuous at best.  I should be allowed to retain the original perks that I signed up for.  If I had know I would lose them I would just have kept the original price.  Is this common knowledge or something new?

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, furgoon said:

Is this common knowledge or something new?

Common knowledge. 

24 minutes ago, furgoon said:

IN my opinion this is disingenuous at best.  I should be allowed to retain the original perks that I signed up for.

If the promo had gotten better after you originally booked, would you want the new promo or would you want to be locked in to what you originally booked?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, furgoon said:

Final payment for my May cruise was approaching so I checked to see if the price dropped and to my surprise it actually did drop.  I email my PC and they got back to me right away processing the drop.  Unbeknownst to me was that since they changed the program recently for the perks that this price changed seems like it was a rebook.  Before I had 2 specialty meals included and now it is only one.  Also, my "free" internet could have been upgraded on one device for 85 bucks.  Now to get unlimited on one device I have to pay 175 bucks and now the available upgrade for internet makes you select both guests unless you specifically look for the other option.  IN my opinion this is disingenuous at best.  I should be allowed to retain the original perks that I signed up for.  If I had know I would lose them I would just have kept the original price.  Is this common knowledge or something new?

Yes it is common knowledge. When you "process a price drop", it is a cancellation of your original booking and rebooking at the lower price. And, you get whatever promotions are available at the time of rebooking. You pay less gratuity for the single Specialty Dinner for the inside/ocean room. And you can add a package if you want more. But, unfortunately, the wifi upgrade will cost you more. 

Edited by BirdTravels

It's common knowledge for people who are on this forum a lot, I suspect it's not for your casual cruiser that doesn't hang out on NCL forums.  Now, having said that, the PCC should have informed you of what your actions would trigger in your booking.

• Like 3

I spoke to my PCC today to discuss some other items, and look to book a Nov 2022 cruise. She informed me the deals have changed, she outlined it something like this (from my memory):

- Free dining has changed to 1 for rooms lower than a balcony (she said balc still included 2 meals)

- Free Internet has changed from 1 device at 250 min per cabin, to 2 devices at 150 min each per cabin (so an overall boost of 50min total, 300 min vs 250 min)

I can't seem to find this outlined online anywhere, so correct me if i've remembered incorrectly

Edited by bortman23

And it looks like the base price on the meals has gone up.  The 20% Grats are higher.

I booked a 12 night that came with 4 meals a couple of days ago and the Grats are $22.80 per person.

If I booked the same cruise today, it would be 3 meals and $23.80 per person.

So.....one less meal but costs $1 more in gratuities😒

11 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

And it looks like the base price on the meals has gone up.  The 20% Grats are higher.

I booked a 12 night that came with 4 meals a couple of days ago and the Grats are $22.80 per person.

If I booked the same cruise today, it would be 3 meals and $23.80 per person.

So.....one less meal but costs $1 more in gratuities😒

I noticed that when I upgraded to the Haven yesterday that my gratuities on my dining plan went up a few dollars. Though I did also get more Wi-Fi minutes as well with the new changes. 

14 hours ago, furgoon said:

Wow, 2 months ago it went from $49? to $85! Now it's $175?

If you saved more then $250 with price drop then you still come out ahead!

15 hours ago, furgoon said:

Not sure if it is common knowledge or not but your PC absolutely should have advised you about this before final processing.

Based on feedback from here I reached out to my PC.  They said I could go back to old booking but they claim that when I asked about the price reduction that they were not aware of the changes.  Hmm...

Edited by furgoon

15 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

It's common knowledge for people who are on this forum a lot, I suspect it's not for your casual cruiser that doesn't hang out on NCL forums.  Now, having said that, the PCC should have informed you of what your actions would trigger in your booking.

BINGO...... A lot of people take for granted or just assume everyone who cruises is on Cruise Critic and they know the ins and out and all info and all the deals

59 minutes ago, furgoon said:

...  said I could go back to old booking but they claim that when I asked about the price reduction that they were not aware of the changes.  Hmm...

Well, compare your numbers, gains & losses, which is better for you ?  Then, quick and ask the PCC - if they could - reverse the changes, the longer you wait & undecided to appeal or not, the less likely they can do anything for you.  A "new" booking made, even within the full payment due & penalty phrase, here in the US, can be cancelled in most instances at no charge within 24 hours (perhaps, it is a NY consumer protection statue here from our state)  Good luck.  

59 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

A "new" booking made, even within the full payment due & penalty phrase, here in the US, can be cancelled in most instances at no charge within 24 hours (perhaps, it is a NY consumer protection statue here from our state) 

That's the (US) DOT's rule about the purchase of airline tickets. I've never heard of that type of rule existing for cruise bookings...but I could be wrong.

Edited by njhorseman