Volendam cruises canceled...

rotjeknor

We are looking a spring and/or a fall trip to Europe. 

We usually look at cruises at the same time.  Not so this time around.  Not even bothering to look at what is on offer.  Our plan is to stick to land travel for the time being.    Perhaps others are doing the same. Don't really know.

23 hours ago, rotjeknor said:

Just got email from the HAL that our two Volendam cruises ( april 23 - may 1st and may 1st -may 15th ) are canceled .....It just never stops.🥵

Sorry your cruise was cancelled.  We're hoping to be on the July sailing, but not sure it'll go...

On 1/31/2022 at 2:53 PM, zelker said:

We're booked to embark on Volendam on June 12th, staying on for 35 days.  While it breaks my heart to cancel this wonderful itinerary, we'd already been discussing foregoing flying to Europe and back this summer to do the cruise.  This just convinced us to cancel now rather than waiting around for what may likely be the inevitable.  😞 

Are you definitely canceling?  We're leaning that way too.  

7 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Are you definitely canceling?  We're leaning that way too.  

Highly likely but haven't yet.  We need to decide for sure before final payment which is due early March.  We could of course pay and then wait to decide for sure 30+ days out but then we'd be stuck with a huge chunk of FCC and we're just not interested in letting HAL "borrow" any more of our money interest-free.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, zelker said:

Highly likely but haven't yet.  We need to decide for sure before final payment which is due early March.  We could of course pay and then wait to decide for sure 30+ days out but then we'd be stuck with a huge chunk of FCC and we're just not interested in letting HAL "borrow" any more of our money interest-free.

Totally understand.  We feel the same.  Our final isn't due until April, but we most likely will cancel before then.

• Like 2

We are not going to cancel. If our  cruise on May 15th is a go, we'll be on it. I'm so looking forward to the beautiful scenery!

If we're moved to a bigger ship or a different day, it will depend on what cabin HAL would offer us and/or which date is offered as to whether we would accept that.

I like to be optimistic but realistic and flexible. I have Plan B and C if Plan A is not a go.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We decided on the rebook option , so now on the Rotterdam may 8-22. Basically the same itinerary. Got a cabin assignment today , but had that changed already to a different one. All the perks that we had on the Volendam booking were transferred to this one and 200 usd extra OBC.

Happy camper (cruiser) again 😊

• Like 4

On 1/31/2022 at 3:07 PM, rotjeknor said:

I guess the reason is pure economic. Judging by the lack of activity on the roll call for these cruises they probably didn't sell enough cabins, then just tell me so .

I do not think CC Roll Calls are a good barometer for how full a cruise might be. We are on the Oosterdam in August and our RC has been silent for weeks with very few CC members, but the ship looks pretty full, we are in a Signature Suite, and you can only book a GTY cabin in our category now.

• Like 1

We are booked on the July 3 sailing from Rotterdam.  This is our 3rd attempt at this general itinerary, so we are hopeful that it goes as planned.  We are confident that it will be an easy decision by final payment date.  

On 2/1/2022 at 10:46 AM, iancal said:

Our plan is to stick to land travel for the time being.    Perhaps others are doing the same. Don't really know.

We try to book (or at least plan for) cancelable land travel as a backup to cruise travel, as things reopen in that region. If the cruise falls through we have a land trip we can take without too much additional effort. This worked well for us last year in Kauai, Iceland, and France.

Also, we booked something similar to our 35-day Spitzbergen itinerary in summer 2023 on Zuiderdam just in case our upcoming Volendam cruise this June is cancelled by HAL. The downfall is that it's a Vista class ship rather than the nice, cozy R class.

4 hours ago, terrydtx said:

I do not think CC Roll Calls are a good barometer for how full a cruise might be. We are on the Oosterdam in August and our RC has been silent for weeks with very few CC members, but the ship looks pretty full, we are in a Signature Suite, and you can only book a GTY cabin in our category now.

There are always exceptions to the rule 😊. I didn’t state it as a fact , but it is just my experience. 
I hope your cruise sails !

On 1/31/2022 at 4:11 PM, Cruising-along said:

I've been worried about our July 3 Volendam cruise.  The first half (July 3-17) have had excursions posted for a very long time and the second half still has nothing.  Of course we get the usual run-around from shore excursions.  Never mind that we have cruises in Europe on other ships after that one that have had their excursions listed a long time.

We decided to cancel our 7/3 Volendam cruise.  Will wait and see if things open up later and testing requirements.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rotjeknor said:

We decided on the rebook option , so now on the Rotterdam may 8-22. Basically the same itinerary. Got a cabin assignment today , but had that changed already to a different one. All the perks that we had on the Volendam booking were transferred to this one and 200 usd extra OBC.

Happy camper (cruiser) again 😊

We thought about doing that instead, but not sure about the Baltics this summer... 

On 1/31/2022 at 7:57 PM, Sea42 said:

For us, if our cruise is cancelled, we'll be switching to a land trip to Spain and/or Portugal. I'm not going to take a chance on another cruise right now.

We are supposed to go on a 3-week land tour of Spain and Portugal in March (Luxury Gold). While these countries currently seem pretty open (no quarantine, proof of vax & recent tests), who knows if they will remain so? We're keeping a very close watch.

8 hours ago, Boatdrill said:

Who told you that ? 

HAL emailed those booked on the first several Alaska cruises on Westerdam to notify them that they would be moved to Eurodam and that Westerdam cruises are now postponed until mid-June.

Dear Valued Guest,

We are very sorry to inform you that your 7-day Inside Passage voyage on Westerdam has been cancelled, but are pleased to advise that we have arranged to transfer your booking to a comparable voyage on board Eurodam departing one day earlier.

In order to assure that we can deliver the best Alaska vacation possible as we resume full operation for the first time in three years, we have made the difficult decision to delay the start of one of our two Seattle vessels. As a result of this decision, the early sailings ofWesterdam will be cancelled and her return to service will now be June 12, 2022. Unfortunately, this cancellation affects your reservation. Please accept our most sincere apologies. We know you have been looking forward to your cruise and we feel confident you will enjoy sailing on Eurodam.

We will be transferring your booking automatically to Eurodam’s Saturday departure the day before your current booking. Your cruise will now include scenic cruising in Glacier Bay National Park rather than in Hubbard Glacier, and your itinerary will include all of the same ports of call, plus the addition of Icy Strait Point, Alaska.

Your booking will transfer at your current fare and in the same or equivalent stateroom category (subject to availability), with incentives and promotions protected. Guests with Holland  America  Line’s Flight Ease® air will have their flights rebooked to the new voyage. All other non-cruise-fare purchases through Holland America Line, such as shore excursions, gifts, dining and spa, will be refunded in the original form of purchase.

Guests with independent air arrangements will need to contact their travel advisor or the airline to rebook their flights. Should you incur un-reimbursable change fees, a reimbursement form is available on our website. If you purchased independent vacation travel insurance, please submit a claim through your carrier before submitting a reimbursement request for denied or partially paid claims.

A Signature-Class ship, Eurodam features many of the Holland America Line amenities you were looking forward to onWesterdam, including Pinnacle Grill, Canaletto, the full Music Walkexperience (including Lincoln Center Stage, B.B. King’s Blues Club, and Billboard Onboard), EXC® Port to Table programming, The Greenhouse Spa & Salon®, and more. In addition, Eurodam offers Tamarind, our highly acclaimed restaurant with cuisine exploring the culinary traditions of East Asia. For more information on Eurodam, please visit our website.

We anticipate you or your travel advisor will receive your new booking confirmation by February 14, 2022.

If you prefer not to sail on the replacement voyage on Eurodam, please use the Cancellation Preferences form by February 15, 2022 to cancel your booking and receive a full refund of all monies paid to Holland America Line to the original form of purchase. All non-cruise fare purchases through Holland America Line such as unused Flight Ease® air, specialty dining, spa and shore excursions will be automatically cancelled and refunded to the original form of payment. 

In the event any portion of the cancelled cruise's fare was paid using a previously issued Future Cruise Credit, that FCC will be returned to the guest’s Mariner number account. Please see the Terms & Conditions on the Cancellation Preferences form for more details. If any portion of your travel was not booked through Holland America Line, other booking and cancellation conditions and policies may apply.

Should you have any questions please reach out to your travel advisor or to us at the appropriate office. Our team will be happy to assist you and review your options with you.

• Thanks 1

Just read the following:  It looks like the Volendam is on the move, headed to Cadiz.  And then someone else replied: to the shipyard in Cadiz. You will sail on a refurbished Volendam....

So perhaps that's why the 1st 2 cruises were cancelled? Keeping my fingers crossed that our May 15 cruise is still a go. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

Just read the following:  It looks like the Volendam is on the move, headed to Cadiz.  And then someone else replied: to the shipyard in Cadiz. You will sail on a refurbished Volendam....

So perhaps that's why the 1st 2 cruises were cancelled? Keeping my fingers crossed that our May 15 cruise is still a go. 

That would be great!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

I could be wrong but that seems like an extraordinarily long time to be in drydock (from now until mid-May).

• Like 2

12 hours ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

I have no clue to what will be done to the ship, if indeed it will go into (dry)dock, but always surprised to see that it is always considered to be a refurbishing.

Ships do go regularly into dry dock to have required maintenance to the ship, or with dry dock, including ships hull and propulsion. This does not always imply any refurbishing. I think refurbishing is a regular, ongoing process, during its operational life, even during sailings. Mayor refurbishing are sometimes combined with a (dry)dock period, but not a fact of every dock period.

13 hours ago, Alphen said:

I have no clue to what will be done to the ship, if indeed it will go into (dry)dock, but always surprised to see that it is always considered to be a refurbishing.

Ships do go regularly into dry dock to have required maintenance to the ship, or with dry dock, including ships hull and propulsion. This does not always imply any refurbishing. I think refurbishing is a regular, ongoing process, during its operational life, even during sailings. Mayor refurbishing are sometimes combined with a (dry)dock period, but not a fact of every dock period.

Semantic OK.