Volendam cruises canceled...

rotjeknor

Just got email from the HAL that our two Volendam cruises ( april 23 - may 1st and may 1st -may 15th ) are canceled .....It just never stops.🥵

Due to " delay in restart of European operations " bla bla bla ....

I'm getting sick and tired of the all cancellations , I guess the reason is pure economic. Judging by the lack of activity on the roll call for these cruises they probably didn't sell enough cabins, then just tell me so .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've been worried about our July 3 Volendam cruise.  The first half (July 3-17) have had excursions posted for a very long time and the second half still has nothing.  Of course we get the usual run-around from shore excursions.  Never mind that we have cruises in Europe on other ships after that one that have had their excursions listed a long time.

1 hour ago, rotjeknor said:

Just got email from the HAL that our two Volendam cruises ( april 23 - may 1st and may 1st -may 15th ) are canceled .....It just never stops.🥵

I'm getting sick and tired of the all cancellations , I guess the reason is pure economic. Judging by the lack of activity on the roll call for these cruises they probably didn't sell enough cabins, then just tell me so .

You realize Cruise Critic is a very small percentage of the cruising population...probably well under 5%, and thus roll calls are an even tinier percentage, so not a great basis for diagnosing exactly what is going on. Of course, economics are a driving force...Holland America is not in the business to give things away.

I suspect a big part is the complicated issues for people to travel to Europe, and sail between different countries is confusing and deterring people, this driving down bookings. We are booked for a Baltic cruise in July, and were just discussing a couple of days ago what our redlines would be for canceling or going, and when those lines would be approaching. Are Europeans comfortable or not doing something like a Baltic cruise?

I seriously doubt you are the only one tired of Covid and it's negative effects on travel. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

We're booked to embark on Volendam on June 12th, staying on for 35 days.  While it breaks my heart to cancel this wonderful itinerary, we'd already been discussing foregoing flying to Europe and back this summer to do the cruise.  This just convinced us to cancel now rather than waiting around for what may likely be the inevitable.  😞 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, rotjeknor said:

Can you tell me if your final payment date has past? We are scheduled on the May15th Volendam cruise with FP coming up in a couple of weeks so I'd like to know if HAL is waiting until after FP to cancel these cruises.

Thanks

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, opa&oma said:

May I suggest you jump over to another HAL ship that will be touring Europe?  Just because the Volendam is not going doesn't mean the other cruises are cancelled.

For us, if our cruise is cancelled, we'll be switching to a land trip to Spain and/or Portugal. I'm not going to take a chance on another cruise right now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

You realize Cruise Critic is a very small percentage of the cruising population...probably well under 5%, and thus roll calls are an even tinier percentage, so not a great basis for diagnosing exactly what is going on. Of course, economics are a driving force...Holland America is not in the business to give things away.

Not sure I get your post.  Roll calls are often a good indicator IMO on a cruise.  Mind you if no one happens to be on CC the it’s a dead duck.  We were supposed to be on the May 15th sailing and have cancelled.  Mine is not for covid reasons nor travelling to Europe which we don’t find hard.  Mine is personal due to DH but a few are dropping off and I can’t blame them.  There is a huge fear of paying for the Norwegian Fjords and finding out you are going to somewhere else which is justifiable. 

And now, knowing is the first cruise going?  I shudder.

I suspect a big part is the complicated issues for people to travel to Europe, and sail between different countries is confusing and deterring people, this driving down bookings. We are booked for a Baltic cruise in July, and were just discussing a couple of days ago what our redlines would be for canceling or going, and when those lines would be approaching. Are Europeans comfortable or not doing something like a Baltic cruise?

Europe is already opening up to cruises - look at Denmark’s new stance - all ships welcome.  I know that’s not all of Europe but I think it’s a good indicator where Europe is going.

My European friends I know are VERY comfortable cruising .  And continuing on with their plans.

The issues are not so much complicated for people as for HAL as they will have to provide testing to suit the different ports of call.

I seriously doubt you are the only one tired of Covid and it's negative effects on travel. 

Of course we are all tired of it but I get the OP’s disappointment and frustration.  I’ve been down that road a few times.  I honestly don’t think this last line of yours was called for.  JMO.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Sea42 said:

Can you tell me if your final payment date has past? We are scheduled on the May15th Volendam cruise with FP coming up in a couple of weeks so I'd like to know if HAL is waiting until after FP to cancel these cruises.

Thanks

Final payment has not passed. HAL’s offer is a replacement cruise with 100 usd OBC (wow !) or money back. No FCC’s offered this time, which I wouldn’t have taken anyway. I’m still using those from 2020 but if HAL keeps canceling…..

• Like 1

We're also on the May 15 cruise from Rotterdam. My 1st thought was that the Netherlands still has a quarantine period required for those from their Red list countries which includes the US. Norway just lifted their restrictions so my fingers are crossed that the Netherlands does the same, sooner rather than later🤞.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, opa&oma said:

May I suggest you jump over to another HAL ship that will be touring Europe?  Just because the Volendam is not going doesn't mean the other cruises are cancelled.

The offered several replacement cruises, which we are looking into.

2 minutes ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

We're also on the May 15 cruise from Rotterdam. My 1st thought was that the Netherlands still has a quarantine period required for those from their Red list countries which includes the US. Norway just lifted their restrictions so my fingers are crossed that the Netherlands does the same, sooner rather than later🤞.

Most measures were lifted in the Netherlands last week . Danmark is completely back to “ normal” . Holiday bookings in the Netherlands and Europe are way up since more and more countries are lifting restrictions. 
Other companies like Aida , Fred Olsen and Phoenix Reisen are sailing in Europe and coming to Dutch ports as well. So it’s not a Covid thing imo.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Roll Calls are usually pretty indicative of the popularity of a cruise, especially among Canadian and US cruisers. I know  the Holland America Line has to make money, duh.

And your last line… really? After 10 cancellations in the past 2 years and seeing Europe opening up around me ,I was hopeful. So yes I’m disappointed and frustrated.

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, rotjeknor said:

Most measures were lifted in the Netherlands last week . Danmark is completely back to “ normal” . Holiday bookings in the Netherlands and Europe are way up since more and more countries are lifting restrictions. 

That's good to hear. I'm trying to stay positive!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, rotjeknor said:

Roll Calls are usually pretty indicative of the popularity of a cruise, especially among Canadian and US cruisers. I know  the Holland America Line has to make money, duh.

And your last line… really? After 10 cancellations in the past 2 years and seeing Europe opening up around me ,I was hopeful. So yes I’m disappointed and frustrated.

I share your frustration about cancelled cruises (we also suffered several) and we are too not optimistic about our upcoming cruises in the near future. In this fluid situation regarding Covid on one hand but also the implications on the economical situation both by Covid, but also the world economic situation, I suspect we have not seen the end of all this and it will take a while until a stable situation is on the horizon.

I think that it is more difficult to bring the 2 remaining R class ships into service again, they are less economical (anyway) than the larger ships in the HAL fleet and also because HAL clients are mainly from North America; if they book insufficiently, than it is probably more economical to leave them without guests a little longer.

The other cruise company’s you mention, have a lot of local guests who they cater specifically to, Olsen to the British market and Phoenix and Aida to the German market, both operating in and around their respective home countries with loyal followers. Aida also operates successfully out in Caribbean and around Canary Isles, suspect also with many charters from Germany, but can only speculate on that. Costa and MSC also have been operating with mainly Italian guests for more than a year, but since they do not sail under CDC rules, not much news comes from them regarding how they handle Covid on board. I have seen some reports on angry MSC guests, handled when testing positive before boarding. None of the cruise lines like Olsen, Aida, etcetera, sail under CDC guidelines, which lets them sail more under the radar, but in December an Aida ship (can’t remember which one) had significant problems with both crew and guest contaminations, preventing from sailing, with guests already embarked.

Company’s like Royal Caribbean are taking on huge amounts of guests, in contrary to the more cautious approach of HAL, which has a guest group that is more susceptible to the whole Covid situation and maybe also hesitant to go cruising already, although situations in Europe and North America are not the same at the moment. All but the R class ships from HAL, have better facilities to accommodate quarantine separation on decks with verandah cabins.

Don’t get me wrong, I love sailing with HAL, but we must not forget, it is a company that has to make money to keep afloat (literally) and sailing at these low guest rates doesn’t do wonders to turn around red figures to black again.

We have little hope that our June cruise in Alaska will go, so are making a plan B, going camping 😊

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Completely agree with you , Alphen. We are seriously looking at other companies to sail with. We've done Aida once but never again ! Friends of ours have sailed with Phoenix , very German indeed, but small ships and a high level of service. But we'll see how things develop, hopefully our July cruise on the Volendam is till a go, but I'm mentally preparing myself for another cancellation.....

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

We are booked for a Baltic cruise in July, and were just discussing a couple of days ago what our redlines would be for canceling or going, and when those lines would be approaching. Are Europeans comfortable or not doing something like a Baltic cruise?

Political issues in the area are also a contributing factor. Especially for EU residents. The drama is much closer to them.

• Like 1

Wat fijn !  Two of my good Dutch friends and they both are avid HAL cruisers together for this one topic @rotjeknor and @Alphen that is so good to see .  So sorry to hear they cancelled the Volendam on you Jaap ! 
You guys understand the European situation better than us Canadians we just see numbers of Covid infections in the different countries and some of those are scary in our view.
We prized ourselves so lucky that we were able to cruise last October on the Eurodam in the Adriatic and the Med but than we were not allowed to get ashore independently in the 4 Italian Ports , only if we were on HAL sticker tours ????
I have to say that HAL , the officers and crew on the ship were elated we were there and they did an incredible job during the 24 day cruise we only heard of 1 person that had to quarantine and we all had a fantastic time on board .  ( for the BTB cruise there was a 45 to 55 % occupancy rate ) 
We had booked the Rotterdam TA to Amsterdam in April ’22  but I put my plans on hold because there are only 4 ports to visit on that cruise , the Azores , France , Belgium and The Netherlands and the Covid  numbers have really scared us off , can we get ashore and do small group independent tours or even visit with familie and friends in The Netherlands ?  ( triple vaccinated ) 

Hope the world will soon take a turn for the better for all of us and hope to see either you Jaap or you Jeroen on one of the DAM ships soon!

Ton😍
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, sailingdutchy said:
Wat fijn !  Two of my good Dutch friends and they both are avid HAL cruisers together for this one topic @rotjeknor and @Alphen that is so good to see .  So sorry to hear they cancelled the Volendam on you Jaap ! 
You guys understand the European situation better than us Canadians we just see numbers of Covid infections in the different countries and some of those are scary in our view.
We prized ourselves so lucky that we were able to cruise last October on the Eurodam in the Adriatic and the Med but than we were not allowed to get ashore independently in the 4 Italian Ports , only if we were on HAL sticker tours ????
I have to say that HAL , the officers and crew on the ship were elated we were there and they did an incredible job during the 24 day cruise we only heard of 1 person that had to quarantine and we all had a fantastic time on board .  ( for the BTB cruise there was a 45 to 55 % occupancy rate ) 
We had booked the Rotterdam TA to Amsterdam in April ’22  but I put my plans on hold because there are only 4 ports to visit on that cruise , the Azores , France , Belgium and The Netherlands and the Covid  numbers have really scared us off , can we get ashore and do small group independent tours or even visit with familie and friends in The Netherlands ?  ( triple vaccinated ) 

Hope the world will soon take a turn for the better for all of us and hope to see either you Jaap or you Jeroen on one of the DAM ships soon!

Ton😍

Good to hear from you Tony,

We just missed each other (again) when we disembarked after our 24 days on Eurodam.

Nobody has a crystal ball, so nobody knows what will happen in the near future.

Daily contamination's are high here, last week in Holland over 500.000 as a weeks number. Fortunately, these figures are not copied in the hospitals, as it appears, some people get into hospital for different medical situations, where they are tested positive, so not hospitalized for Covid.

It does have a large impact on the workforce, testing positive, although barely sick, you are quarantined and more and more of the active workforce are at home, leaving increasing holes in many professional surroundings, many services are decreased due to staff shortage!

We definitely felt and still feel safer on a cruise ship than in the average society here in Holland!

Just hoping that end of May will be better to travel, which brings us to Vancouver!

Hope you and Martha stay safe and healthy!

Jeroen and Annie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to hear this.  We’re booked on the Oosterdam to Israel beginning of May and are seriously doubting it will go, unfortunately final payment is very soon!  They extended final payment but have kept the cancellation penalty the same.  

15 minutes ago, sailingdutchy said:

Ton😍

Hoi Ton,

Alphen was just ahead of me… in addition to his post, yes you can do independent excursions or just get off the ship and visit your family and friends. Or go into stores, restaurants, bars etc.  The latter still have the 3 G restrictions ( gevaccineerd, genezen, getest = vaccinated, recovered, tested) . But those are the current measures which are in effect until  mid February . Even though the amount of infractions are incredibly high, there is “ omicron optimism “ , people don’t get as sick as with Delta and with so many infections a small form of herd immunity is forming.

Hopefully we’ll meet again!
Groeten aan Martha !

Jaap en Patty 😚

• Thanks 1