PVP & Managing My Booking Online

Years ago we used a TA but I booked our last 4 cruises myself on the cruise line websites.  I'd like to start using a PVP for our Carnival cruises but if I do, will I still be able to see and manage our booking online to do everything I can do now?  Also, when booking through a PVP, do you give them your credit card info or do they send you a link to make the payment on the Carnival website (which is what I'd prefer)?  Anything else I need to know about booking myself vs using a PVP?

If you use a PVP, you can manage your booking online just as if you had booked it yourself.  PVPs work for Carnival.  When you contact them, they will create your booking directly in Carnival's system (vs. a TA, who may or may not have access to the correct systems).  They will ask for the payment of your deposit, taking that information.  If you are reluctant to provide your credit card information, you have the option to purchase a gift card with which to make your deposit (keeping your personal information, well, personal).  All further payments will be made by you directly on the website.

• Like 4

To be honest, it might be safer to give your credit card to the PVP than entering it online.  If you are worried, many credit cards will issue a one time use number for situations like this, so you might want to see if you can do that.

My PVP told me Carnival doesn't keep our credit card information in their system. I suspect they don't want to be liable if they system is hacked, just a guess. Each time I book my PVP asks for the credit card number, expiration date and name on card and the zip code associated with its mailing address. Nothing more.

Edited by sanmarcosman
  • Like 3

There are a few advantages to using a PVP who you use consistently.  

The PVP I have calls me only when I ask her.   She points out things which I may not have considered.  

But the most important advantage is that she would go to bat for me if there were an issue.  

I realize TAs do this too but PVPs don’t need to get authority to change simple things or wait for an answer from Carnival.  

If you can find a good PVP, they can be very helpful.   On Carnival’s main page there is a spot to ask for a PVP.  Maybe ask for someone who has 7 to 10 years with Carnival. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, audcc77 said:

If you can find a good PVP, they can be very helpful.   On Carnival’s main page there is a spot to ask for a PVP.  Maybe ask for someone who has 7 to 10 years with Carnival. 

I actually requested a PVP from Carnival's website several months ago - still waiting for one to contact me.  I'm going to have to find one on my own.  lol

• 3 weeks later...

OK one more question!  I found a PVP and booked a cruise through her - she is awesome and very responsive. I don't want to keep bombarding her with questions just yet.  I booked through her and paid our deposit.  When the time comes it OK to make the final payment online or should I do that through the PVP as well?  

PVP's are Carnival employees, so yes, you will still be able to manage your booking online if you use one. In fact, the couple times I used one, they did the initial booking and nothing else (I'm sure I could have used them more than I did, but really didn't see the need to).

TA's are different in that they do not work for Carnival, but I do think they sometimes offer more benefits than what you'll get through a PVP (such as OBC, etc.).

• Like 1

To sort of summarize what the PVP can do:

They can: Book, cancel, edit or so early saver price matches on any booking.  They can help with airfare, airport transfers and making payments.  They can assist with MDR times and any special needs that need to be noted on bookings.  They can answer any questions or fix any problems that come up. They also can give great advice.

Much of that can be done online as well.  Your PVP does not care whether you do most of it online or with them, as long as the booking is initially made through them.

They cannot: make specialty dining reservations, book shore excursions or any fun shop purchases. 

I reached out to a PVP about a specific offer I had (out of 20+ offers) and it suddenly disappeared after speaking with them. All other offers still there and valid valid and it wasn't anywhere near expiring. Anyone had this happen before? It put me off wanting to work with them because it felt they wanted to ensure I didn't book online.

On 2/2/2022 at 5:45 PM, audcc77 said:

There are a few advantages to using a PVP who you use consistently.  

The PVP I have calls me only when I ask her.   She points out things which I may not have considered.  

But the most important advantage is that she would go to bat for me if there were an issue.  

I realize TAs do this too but PVPs don’t need to get authority to change simple things or wait for an answer from Carnival.  

I've been trying really hard to use my PVP, because he did a great job applying the first of our Australian cancellation credits to an upcoming cruise.  Then, when the more recent batch got cancelled, our email said we had until July 31st to rebook and claim the FCC/OBC offer.  Unfortunately, our PVP insists that we only have until 31 March - and while he has dutifully gone back to his supervisors multiple times, he always returns with the same answer.  What good is a PVP if they can't/won't even get their own colleagues to follow the terms their customers are sent in writing?

I'm very, very close to just switching to a TA.  I vastly prefer booking myself, but I can't do that for these cancellation credits.  I'd rather have someone actually willing to go to bat for me get my commission!  

2 hours ago, Virga said:

I've been trying really hard to use my PVP, because he did a great job applying the first of our Australian cancellation credits to an upcoming cruise.  Then, when the more recent batch got cancelled, our email said we had until July 31st to rebook and claim the FCC/OBC offer.  Unfortunately, our PVP insists that we only have until 31 March - and while he has dutifully gone back to his supervisors multiple times, he always returns with the same answer.  What good is a PVP if they can't/won't even get their own colleagues to follow the terms their customers are sent in writing?

I'm very, very close to just switching to a TA.  I vastly prefer booking myself, but I can't do that for these cancellation credits.  I'd rather have someone actually willing to go to bat for me get my commission!  

Pvp’s aren’t paid a commission and they work for Carnival so if push comes to shove I don’t think they’d have your best interest at heart.

That being said I booked with a Pvp only because I don’t want to be on hold for 3 hours just to get to have sonebody to fix something

• Like 1

On 2/2/2022 at 5:15 PM, cruisemom2 said:

I actually requested a PVP from Carnival's website several months ago - still waiting for one to contact me.  I'm going to have to find one on my own.  lol

Request one again -- my request on Tuesday got me a phone call from Florida Wednesday, followed by welcome e-mails, and a courtesy hold on the cabins I requested in my email response. Smooth!

3 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Request one again -- my request on Tuesday got me a phone call from Florida Wednesday, followed by welcome e-mails, and a courtesy hold on the cabins I requested in my email response. Smooth!

I actually found a great PVP and she booked a cruise for me on Monday at a better rate than I originally saw.  Tuesday I noticed the price went down $60 so I texted her and she adjusted the price right away.  

• Like 2

For vacations in general, I book everything on my own. No need for a travel agent. However, I love our PVP. He gets a ping everytime we log onto Carnival and start looking around. He usually calls very soon after to see if we need help or would like to book something. Our grown kids have VIFP numbers too & he also calls them.   He can see all the available rooms at once......recommends rooms based on things like if they're located next to the laundry or a noisy staff space or under a room with chairs/tables scuffing around at night. He sees all our VIFP offers at once and can quickly sort through to find the best deal. If there's a price drop, he can immediately adjust the price. If I have a question about a port, he also usually knows the answer - he's been to all of them. This will be our 8th cruise and when I made the reservation, he remembered we want early seating, etc.

When you call your PVP.....it is a Carnival phone number. It answers as Carnival & you have to key in the extension number to the PVP. Just as safe as giving your credit card info to any of the representatives.

On 2/2/2022 at 8:03 PM, ninjacat123 said:

My PVP is great and she posts on the social media site that shall not be named.  Maybe you can do a search there for Cruise Adventures.  She might pop up since her first name starts the alphabet.  Just saying...

What is this social media site that shall not be named?  

Our PVP is great, talked to her yesterday about an offer I saw on my account. She had prices for 2 and 3 people on 3 different cruises faster than I could even pull a single one up on the website. She also checked to see if we had and upgrade offers for our June MG cruise (not yet but said it's possible we will get one as time gets closer as our extended balcony is sold out an the ocean suite isn't yet).

I also have her on the watch for a December cruise for our daughters birthday. She is keeping an eye on prices for me. She is only the 2nd PVP I've had with them and I got this one after our last one moved up with the company after years of having him.

I always look on the site first to what's there and then soon she reaches out to me to see if I need any help. Not pushy at all.

• Like 1