Booked Basic Fare -will test "pay as you go"

Sentebale

Partner and I decided to book basic fare for March 16-day TA to see what the numbers look like in the end.

Basic fare $900/each cheaper than Best. Sale. Ever.

$1800 is break even.

Not soda drinkers, I might drink a beer every week or two. Partner likes his Martinis (2-3 night) and wine (1-2 night). Not day drinkers. 

One of us will get 4-device wifi and share $240.

$15.50 x 32 days gratuities. $500

Yes to at least one coffee card. $72

Yes to 3/ea extra specialty dinners $180 -- not incl in B.S.E (plus we have 1 free specialty dinner from ta)

Yes to Gelato if it's good. $70 -- not incl in B.S.E

Partner has $738 booze money 😉. ($46/day) (Wiggle room is the $180 +$70 that I included as part of B.S.E. but it really isn't).

Not end of the world if we find out the all-inclusive was a better deal.

Anybody else try this? Results?

With the Medallion it's not like we'll be signing chits so that hassle is removed.

Also bought 100 shares of CCL for the $250 OBC, sent paperwork to Princess, sold the shares next day (@$25 gain👍).

• Like 1

It’s all very doable. I did it 😃

-purchased wifi w/ elite discount

-$100 for shareholder 

-carried on 2 bottles of wine

- carried on 12 pack diet coke

- 1-8 pack of sparkling water (in cans) 

- packed a Brita water bottle

My extra OBC from wifi and shareholders covered tips (the jargon states that it doesn’t but it certainly did)

I Used the leftover OBC for Americanos in the morning and a couple drinks throughout the week. 

-I always tip extra even with PP so that doesn’t factor 

I have also traveled with Princess Plus and find it to be enjoyable as well.

It all comes down to practicality and budget.

Happy Cruising 😎🚢

Edited by Jadn13
  • Like 2

Looking forward to seeing your results. My guess? You'll find choice of bare bones fare was the right move.

Only downside would be if you're the type who stops and thinks twice before ordering anything that costs money. Who needs that on a vaca?

Edited by firmdoc
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jadn13 said:

-I always tip extra even with PP so that doesn’t factor 

We'll tip our room attendant and others in addition to suggested gratuities too. (It's got to be OK to slip $ to bartenders, right? I know they'll get a cut of the drink bill but still we'd probably tip them on top of that amount). 

Yeah, forgot about the wine. Will probably bring a few bottles of better wine, and pay corkage fee.

The idea that Princess cuts off drink package pax after 15 drinks/day. Who drinks 15 drinks a day?! I gotta imagine Princess pours light, and their wine pours are short. Otherwise, it's a drunkfest, no?

• Like 1

We booked two cruises, same itinerary, back to back, one with the package and one without.    The cruise without the package we ended up

spending just over $100 additional with very similar wine, coffee and beverage habits.  
We have another B2B booked where we are doing the same.    Large amount of OBC, Elite minibar and the ability to bring on wine at embarkation the deciding factor.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sentebale said:

Partner likes his Martinis (2-3 night) and wine (1-2 night). 

Partner has $738 booze money 😉. ($46/day)

Not sure if $46 will be enough to cover 3 martinis and 2 wine glasses a day (don't forget 15-18% gratuity).

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

Interesting experiment!  I would like to know how things work out so please do report back!  I've often wanted to do the same, but I don't really like to have to think that hard when I am on vacation and to do that would require me to keep track of spending.  I tend to get a little free with $ the moment my vacation starts.  What's up with that!?! 🤣

Edited by Coffeeluvr05
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Not sure if $46 will be enough to cover 3 martinis and 2 wine glasses a day (don't forget 15-18% gratuity).

You are so right!  3 Martinis would be $45.00+ and 2 wine $20.00+.  That’s minimum $65.00 per day plus gratuity.  Approximately $1100.00 for 16 day cruise.  How is this saving money?

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

You are so right!  3 Martinis would be $45.00+ and 2 wine $20.00+.  That’s minimum $65.00 per day plus gratuity.  Approximately $1100.00 for 16 day cruise.  How is this saving money?

thank you! If anything, I'd get a deluxe package for the drinker, and refreshment package for the non-drinker.

That's if they don't want to pony up $900 pp for BSE.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sentebale said:

Partner and I decided to book basic fare for March 16-day TA to see what the numbers look like in the end.

Basic fare $900/each cheaper than Best. Sale. Ever.

$1800 is break even.

Not soda drinkers, I might drink a beer every week or two. Partner likes his Martinis (2-3 night) and wine (1-2 night). Not day drinkers. 

One of us will get 4-device wifi and share $240.

$15.50 x 32 days gratuities. $500

Yes to at least one coffee card. $72

Yes to 3/ea extra specialty dinners $180 -- not incl in B.S.E (plus we have 1 free specialty dinner from ta)

Yes to Gelato if it's good. $70 -- not incl in B.S.E

Partner has $738 booze money 😉. ($46/day) (Wiggle room is the $180 +$70 that I included as part of B.S.E. but it really isn't).

Not end of the world if we find out the all-inclusive was a better deal.

Anybody else try this? Results?

With the Medallion it's not like we'll be signing chits so that hassle is removed.

Also bought 100 shares of CCL for the $250 OBC, sent paperwork to Princess, sold the shares next day (@$25 gain👍).

We will do pay as you go as well since we have hefty OBCs and hubby only has a beer or one wine a day so the included BSE not worth it since you BOTH have to get it. I think you'll do just fine.

• Like 1

Hey,

We just booked the basic fare for April 2022 after coming off of Princess Plus in January 2022.  The price difference was huge.  7 day cruise on the Majestic

Princess Plus for 2 people - $2,006

The basic fare for 2 people - $958 + $100 OBC per person

We did love it when we did not have to think about it.

While I do not drink alcohol, my boyfriend does.  I believe that I can get many of my fancy coffees and he can get some wine and beers for way less than the $1,000 difference.

On our January cruise the difference was $260pp 

• Like 1

I have to agree that the Best Sale Ever (or Princess Plus as it was called before it was a 'sale') may not be a bargain, especially if you are Elite and are not a big drinker.

The drink package, however, may prompt someone to experiment with adult beverages that they would not otherwise try given the price.  IF you dont like it, not much lost.  And given that the price is included, you may be tempted to drink more than would be 'normal'.  

Also consider if you need 4 devices.  I have not sailed since this plan changed from timed minutes, but from what I have read, as long as you log off one and then log into the other, you can use the 4 devices, just not at the same time.  So Will you be using 4 devices concurrently?  Perhaps there is some added savings there?

• Like 2

I book best price because:

1. Trading mini bar for coffee program. I'm a coffee / tea drinker

2. 300 - 1000 OBC on 3 booked cruises. Gratuities will eat up:

> 7 day cruise 101.5 tips leaving 198.5 + 35 wifi refund = 234.50 to go where??

> 15 day cruise 217.50 tips leaving 782.50 + 75 wifi refund = 857.50 to go where??

> 17 day cruise 246 50 tips leaves only 153.50 + 85 wifi back = 238.50 so yeah. I might owe a little but no where near (40×17) 680. 

Do the math if you don't drink alcohol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sirclean said:

I have to agree that the Best Sale Ever (or Princess Plus as it was called before it was a 'sale') may not be a bargain, especially if you are Elite and are not a big drinker.

The drink package, however, may prompt someone to experiment with adult beverages that they would not otherwise try given the price.  IF you dont like it, not much lost.  And given that the price is included, you may be tempted to drink more than would be 'normal'.  

Also consider if you need 4 devices.  I have not sailed since this plan changed from timed minutes, but from what I have read, as long as you log off one and then log into the other, you can use the 4 devices, just not at the same time.  So Will you be using 4 devices concurrently?  Perhaps there is some added savings there?

On our current cruise we are sharing the 1 device plan. It works well for us and encourages me to actually read the books I brought, rather than waste time surfing as I could at home. It’s nice to be a little cut off. 
We have never had the package as DH doesn’t drink, and I occasionally have wine with dinner. We DO like our lattes, so we each got coffee cards, but we are finding we never run out if coffees as the baristas rarely take off the purchase. I’m wondering if it just shows as “included”? Anyway, our costs are nowhere near what the all inclusive would be. 

Edited by sunviking90
  • Like 1

Here is my math for doing the basic fare for Cabo in April on the Discovery

199 per person versus 700+ per person for Plus

GF doesn't really drink, I do, will buy the Wifi as I am working from the ship

So with the 500 dollar per person difference I can get myself the drink package and the multi device wifi for about 400 so still pocketing the 500 dollar difference. Plus we are getting 75 pp OBC and the minibar. Still saving money overall on it

• Like 1

Agree if you do not drink alcohol the all in Princess price is not worth it, I don't even think you need to calculate that out.  You could certainly buy a coffee card and/or soda card if those are your beverages of choice and come out ahead.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, cjpj said:

Agree if you do not drink alcohol the all in Princess price is not worth it, I don't even think you need to calculate that out.  You could certainly buy a coffee card and/or soda card if those are your beverages of choice and come out ahead.

Depends on the rate tho. On the Majestic last month the princess plus came out to only a ~300 per person difference so it made sense. Depends on the sale and if the base fare is discounted when I look at it

• Like 2

7 hours ago, voljeep said:

Book basic fare

then "consider" asking if you can add the B.S.E. 3 package benefits at $ 40 pp per day = $ 1,280 - not $ 1,800 as in your example

We have BSE on upcoming 14 day Enchanted TA $58/day followed by 11 day Baltic $64/day. Specialty coffee AM, 2 or more glasses of wine at lunch, Happy Hour, dinner, and during evening. 

If you only drink 2 alcoholic drinks a day or less,  PP is probably not worth it.

On sea days, it is quite easy to drink 10 alcoholic drinks a day,  and even on port days 5 or 6 drinks is hardly a stretch. 

So, from our point of view,  PP is the best idea since sliced bread.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

If you only drink 2 alcoholic drinks a day or less,  PP is probably not worth it.

On sea days, it is quite easy to drink 10 alcoholic drinks a day,  and even on port days 5 or 6 drinks is hardly a stretch. 

So, from our point of view,  PP is the best idea since sliced bread.

I like the way you cruise!