Info about Canada's new rules for cruise lines for 2022?

Harrylinden

1 hour ago, Harrylinden said:

I read an article today about Alaska cruises in jeopardy for the 2022 season because of Canada's strict covid rules. does anyone else hear or have any info about this?

Look for the date of the article. I have gotten confused at times because an older article pops up, and I'm thinking it is current. That being said, if Canada'a restrictions are not relaxed from last year's, I would expect Alaska sailings to resume in May under the same guidance as was applied in 2021. Don't expect Alaska to be a "no sail" for 2022. 

On second thought, maybe we should remember, Alaska is only 55 miles from Russia. Hmmm.

Edited by HappyCruiserettu
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Harrylinden said:

I read an article today about Alaska cruises in jeopardy for the 2022 season because of Canada's strict covid rules. does anyone else hear or have any info about this?

I talked to a rep at Senator Dan Sullivan's office yesterday,The rep stated that the whole Alaskan delegation is working on the problem...My guess unless the Ridiculous Canadian Government doesn't fix this it will be like last year.....

Edited by mpdog42
correct
  • Like 2

last year, September, we enjoyed the extended stay in Ketchikan.  The stay in Victoria never appealed to us. The time of day and the short stay. We just booked the Alaskan cruise for the 13th year and would be happy to let the Canadians go about their business but I do understand if you have never been there it is a beautiful city by night. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mpdog42 said:

I talked to a rep at Senator Dan Sullivan's office yesterday,The rep stated that the whole Alaskan delegation is working on the problem...My guess unless the Ridiculous Canadian Government doesn't fix this it will be like last year.....

With all respect, canada can do what it pleases.  It's our own (US) law that has created this issue of requiring stopping at a foreign(canadian) port.  So our elected officials should be, and have, been working on a permanent "fix" to this issue.  From what I've read it basically allows foreign ships to serve US ports exclusively until there is US competition on the size and scale of modern, mass market ships.  There is 1 ship in hawaii, but it's allowed to sail there due to a whole slew of exceptions.

Edited by cruisingrob21
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisingrob21 said:

With all respect, canada can do what it pleases.  It's our own (US) law that has created this issue of requiring stopping at a foreign(canadian) port.  So our elected officials should be, and have, been working on a permanent "fix" to this issue.  From what I've read it basically allows foreign ships to serve US ports exclusively until there is US competition on the size and scale of modern, mass market ships.  There is 1 ship in hawaii, but it's allowed to sail there due to a whole slew of exceptions.

True... but that law has some very valid points....In regards to the Government of Canada.....Their trying to screw with Alaskan Tourism...as they did somewhat last year...I am on the side of my fellow American's...Are you??.......

and i quote..the Great Senator form Alaska...“Alaska’s economy and our communities should not be at the mercy of decisions made by the Canadian government and I will do whatever is needed to ensure Alaskans can prosper,” said Senator Murkowski........

Edited by mpdog42
add
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, mpdog42 said:

True... but that law has some very valid points....In regards to the Government of Canada.....Their trying to screw with Alaskan Tourism...as they did somewhat last year...I am on the side of my fellow American's...Are you??

I would hardly think that a US law has anything whatsoever to do with Canada.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mpdog42 said:

True... but that law has some very valid points....In regards to the Government of Canada.....Their trying to screw with Alaskan Tourism...as they did somewhat last year...I am on the side of my fellow American's...Are you??.......

and i quote..the Great Senator form Alaska...“Alaska’s economy and our communities should not be at the mercy of decisions made by the Canadian government and I will do whatever is needed to ensure Alaskans can prosper,” said Senator Murkowski........

Well the Wife does have Canadian Relatives and Liz is on the CAD 20 note... Besides Canada is its own sovereign nation and will implement rules based on the welfare of its citizens...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Difficult to comment until the new rules are announced.  Currently the entry requirements are no different than many other countries, which Princess seems to be handling nicely. 

The new rules have been announced..... click on the links.  Second one is the actual document that was released a few days ago.

Transport Canada Lays Out Rules for Cruise Ships, Requires Passengers And Crew To Be Vaccinated (cruisecritic.com) 

Canada’s cruise ship instructional reference tool

No ship is sailing with 100% vaccination rate from the US. The CDC allows for a small percentage to have medical or religious exemptions. Most ships....Princess is one of them...that has chosen to follow the CDC guidance of being a highly vaccinated ship. However highly vaccinated is not 100% vaccinated. So they would not be allowed to port in Canada based on the current Canadian guidelines.  It is also against Florida law for any ship to sail requiring passengers to be 100% vaccinated. 

5 hours ago, mpdog42 said:

The Feds in Ottawa are probably dithering about as usual, but they may be hoping some lines just throw up their hands waiting and cancel voyages and then at the 11th hour, the Feds will decide to relax rules - but it will be too late for many.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, whatcruiseisnext said:

The new rules have been announced..... click on the links.  Second one is the actual document that was released a few days ago.

Transport Canada Lays Out Rules for Cruise Ships, Requires Passengers And Crew To Be Vaccinated (cruisecritic.com) 

Canada’s cruise ship instructional reference tool

No ship is sailing with 100% vaccination rate from the US. The CDC allows for a small percentage to have medical or religious exemptions. Most ships....Princess is one of them...that has chosen to follow the CDC guidance of being a highly vaccinated ship. However highly vaccinated is not 100% vaccinated. So they would not be allowed to port in Canada based on the current Canadian guidelines.  It is also against Florida law for any ship to sail requiring passengers to be 100% vaccinated. 

It’s late so my response is condensed (and not well thought out) so I can go to bed.

By “new rules announced” I was referring to the procedures governing cruise ships entry to Canada.  For example, how will testing proceed and when.

Canadian guidelines are HERE.  

Ship Safety Bulletin is HERE.

Both Princess and HAL (I am not familiar with others at the moment) require guests to be fully vaccinated in order to board so I don’t really understand your last point.  In any event, Canada allows for the unvaccinated:

D07129CD-7833-43F5-AA5E-20E3893C2F5B.thumb.jpeg.da976d5993abb524cc141164cfdb0c0d.jpeg

BBBAEB00-88EE-4EEB-8238-DE3D3DAA7056.thumb.jpeg.3bcb84232c3d803be3f7abef9d184050.jpeg

Edited by *Miss G*
  • Like 2

While Canada likely appreciates the tourism related with cruises, the C/NE voyages are only a short segment of the year, and the Alaskan voyages make a only touch 2 or maybe 3 ports - and usually its just 1 per itinerary.  While Victoria and Vancouver certainly benefit from cruising, there are many other avenues of tourism that make them money, and their economies are not heavily leveraged on cruising.

The SE Alaskan ports, whether for better or worse, have significantly leveraged their economies on cruise tourism.  Juneau and Ketchikan would likely be fine without the cruise ships but there would be a pretty big hole without them in the summer.  Sitka would suffer but probably survive as well as it gets fewer calls in a normal year.  Skagway would close up shop owing to being so challenging to get to and limited population and services.  However, none of this is Canada's fault and I don't ascribe to the notion that the Canadian government intentionally mean any ill will toward Alaskan tourism specifically.  My greatest hope for Alaskan businesses is that they take the lessons learned in the last year from the cruise "spigot" being turned off, and adapt their advertising and offerings rather than wait for our government, or the Canadian government to change laws.  I was shocked that the US government suspended the PVSA last year, and I wouldn't continue to count on it.

Then again, watch for NCL to throw a wildcard in here (like they do from time to time) and make it all work without any law being changed....They would just embark or disembark their Alaskan cruises in Ensenada 😁

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BritinSoCal said:

Well the Wife does have Canadian Relatives and Liz is on the CAD 20 note... Besides Canada is its own sovereign nation and will implement rules based on the welfare of its citizens...

Not too sure about the welfare part...Seem to remember something about people that drive those big trucks getting arrested....

28 minutes ago, cruisingrob21 said:

While Canada likely appreciates the tourism related with cruises, the C/NE voyages are only a short segment of the year, and the Alaskan voyages make a only touch 2 or maybe 3 ports - and usually its just 1 per itinerary.  While Victoria and Vancouver certainly benefit from cruising, there are many other avenues of tourism that make them money, and their economies are not heavily leveraged on cruising.

The SE Alaskan ports, whether for better or worse, have significantly leveraged their economies on cruise tourism.  Juneau and Ketchikan would likely be fine without the cruise ships but there would be a pretty big hole without them in the summer.  Sitka would suffer but probably survive as well as it gets fewer calls in a normal year.  Skagway would close up shop owing to being so challenging to get to and limited population and services.  However, none of this is Canada's fault and I don't ascribe to the notion that the Canadian government intentionally mean any ill will toward Alaskan tourism specifically.  My greatest hope for Alaskan businesses is that they take the lessons learned in the last year from the cruise "spigot" being turned off, and adapt their advertising and offerings rather than wait for our government, or the Canadian government to change laws.  I was shocked that the US government suspended the PVSA last year, and I wouldn't continue to count on it.

Then again, watch for NCL to throw a wildcard in here (like they do from time to time) and make it all work without any law being changed....They would just embark or disembark their Alaskan cruises in Ensenada 😁

You forgot the part how NCL will collect all the fares then cancel the cruises....I was part of the great return to cruising out of the DR that never happened then they canceled all those people sailing of the Bahamas...then they cancel my cruise out of the Southampton...NCL will never get a dime of my money ever again....On lighter note i see Opening Day had been canceled😡

Edited by mpdog42
corr
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, mpdog42 said:

Not too sure about the welfare part...Seem to remember something about people that drive those big trucks getting arrested....

35 minutes ago, cruisingrob21 said:

Most jurisdictions arrest people that harass others, ignore court orders, try to set buildings on fire, and camp in the middle of city streets. That is all part of protecting the welfare of its citizens.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

If you go to the same topic in the "cruise question" forum, you will see that the wording of the actual Canadian regulation states that the passengers must be 100% vaccinated, if they are 12 years and 4 months old or older.  Anyone under that age does not need to be vaccinated.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

If you go to the same topic in the "cruise question" forum, you will see that the wording of the actual Canadian regulation states that the passengers must be 100% vaccinated, if they are 12 years and 4 months old or older.  Anyone under that age does not need to be vaccinated.

So am I correct that PCL could meet the criteria by:

1. All over 5 fully vaccinated 

2. Onboard testing (like Hawaii)

3. Ship submit digital ArriveCAN for cruisers using data from embarkation + onboard Antigen test??

If so, could this be a non-issue? Yes, I have a vested interest. Not interested in the Astoria & Seattle ports / going for Vancouver / Victoria 

16 minutes ago, Ombud said:

3. Ship submit digital ArriveCAN for cruisers using data from embarkation + onboard Antigen test??

If so, could this be a non-issue? Yes, I have a vested interest. Not interested in the Astoria & Seattle ports / going for Vancouver / Victoria 

Astoria is my favorite port 😁 - real adventure sailing across the bar, lots of good food and beer options in town, and a lot of history there if you know where to look.  If you are looking for a good historical book about just how close Astoria came to becoming a major US city, see if you can find this at your library or bookstore.

https://amzn.to/35pN8iv

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cruisingrob21 said:

Astoria is my favorite port 😁 - real adventure sailing across the bar, lots of good food and beer options in town, and a lot of history there if you know where to look.  If you are looking for a good historical book about just how close Astoria came to becoming a major US city, see if you can find this at your library or bookstore.

https://amzn.to/35pN8iv

Maybe I should have said "not interested in cruising to Astoria / Seattle." Just left Seattle. Can drive up the coast to Astoria in less than a day. 

Edited by Ombud

27 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I don't know all the Canadian requirements, but yes, I believe that this is a non-issue, and just a way for folks to press for repeal of the PVSA.  While it passed without debate last year, when it was proposed as a covid economic aid bill, at a time when other covid aid was being enabled, there are interests both in the government, and in private sector that will not sit by idly while this is proposed again.

• Like 3