PCR test required by Silversea within 48 hours prior to boarding

wren2

Received an email last night informing me of the above. Why when restrictions are being phased out, are Silversea introducing them? Called the London office but they had only just received the same email. I would be happy to pay to have a test on the pier, it is the time constraint that is difficult. Passengers who had planned a few days in the embarcation country, will now have to find a test there. In light of this new ruling, I have already cancelled one option and will probably cancel a second one. Just when I thought travel would be easier!

On Silversea passengers Facebook page Barbara Muckermann has advised this is a CDC requirement.  Until the CDC changes it’s advise guess this will affect all cruise lines and not only Silversea

Excellent question wren2.  Do CDC rules apply to foreign based cruises? I too had planned some time in another country in Europe before flying to Greek port. SS says it will provide testing before boarding ship side  for only the time being. I don't mind paying for this pre-boarding  test if I have too. Why impose it if CDC does not apply to a Greek islands cruise and discontinue this at some point in future?

4 hours ago, seaquay said:

On Silversea passengers Facebook page Barbara Muckermann has advised this is a CDC requirement.  Until the CDC changes it’s advise guess this will affect all cruise lines and not only Silversea

There is no such requirement and, having multiple bookings for 2022 on other lines, the other cruise lines do not perform nor require PCR pre-testing.  All require antigen tests performed at the pier as part of the boarding process.  Some charge for that, some don't.

This madness must stop.

• Like 2

This is a badly thought out and poorly communicated email, as mentioned above, there is already an update from BM on the ‘other place that may not be mentioned here’ which is blaming the CDC for the changes. SS’s ability to communicate is reaching a new low.

• Like 2

I fear that the current ineptitude of the Senior Executives at Silversea to communicate a coherent Policy bodes very badly for the future of this once great Line. Their ability to provide inconsistent Information on so many Issues is staggering.

I too, received  the mentioned email.  I went out to RCI website which gives you the option of embarkation port.  No where did it mention a PCR test requirement or any other such statements.  It did state similarly that you shall receive within 30 days prior to sailing more information.  Sounds like SS wants passengers to jump thru more hoops.  I sincerely hope they recognize the angst being caused since all the foreign countries we are visiting prior to and during the cruise have no such testing mandates.  

Is it too much to hope for/expect a clarification/retraction from SS shortly?

I will not subject myself to seeking out a PCR test in the departure city (where I always stop for 4-5 days before embarkation).  I would sooner cancel my cruise. 

I do back-to-backs.  Will I have to disembark at each port and get a PCR?  On a recent b2b, an Antigen test was provided on the ship between segments, just as that test was provided in the terminal before embarkation.

One would hope/assume that a “luxury” line like SS would continue to provide necessary testing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mayflower1 said:

I fear that the current ineptitude of the Senior Executives at Silversea to communicate a coherent Policy bodes very badly for the future of this once great Line. Their ability to provide inconsistent Information on so many Issues is staggering.

As usual in complete agreement with your views on the Management of the current SS policy.What has happened to the 1990/2020 days we enjoyed together on many wonderful cruises throughout the World.It appears from many more critical comments appear on CC boards in the last few years which are making it impossible for us to be cruising again with SS.We live with wonderful memories of the old SS we sailed regularly for so long and occasionally with yourselves.Hope you are well

12 minutes ago, brimary said:

As usual in complete agreement with your views on the Management of the current SS policy.What has happened to the 1990/2020 days we enjoyed together on many wonderful cruises throughout the World.It appears from many more critical comments appear on CC boards in the last few years which are making it impossible for us to be cruising again with SS.We live with wonderful memories of the old SS we sailed regularly for so long and occasionally with yourselves.Hope you are well

The "good old days" were pre-RCG.  RCG have a one size fits all philosophy from mass market mega-ships to 6 star.  It is a race to the bottom with mega-ships setting the strategy and priorities.  RCG destroyed Azamara prior to it's rescue and revitalization by Sycamore Partners, are working on Celebrity, and are now taking aim at SS.

Edited by audobon_tx

8 hours ago, seaquay said:

She is wrong. Check out the other thread......JP posted what is from the CDC.......Barbara is incorrect.

• Like 3

It’s clear this is just a convenient excuse — they want to stop paying the bill for pre-cruise passenger testing and this is a way to shift the expense back to passengers. It’s a way to “package and spin it”. They went from making the testing convenient at the pier to a complete and total inconvenience. I think most of us would gladly pay Silversea a fee portside for the PCR test if they could guarantee they could do it.

Also, big problem announcing this March 1 to be effective March 1.  

Edited by Herman The Cat
  • Like 3

I was not happy about receiving this email, either.  The testing requirement would not be an issue if SS continued to test at the pier.  That's the crux of the matter.

It was sort of like reading something that said "Good news!  We still require testing, but you're on your own to go about it!  We'll help you if we can."

But one would think SS would do what is best for the customer—-most people would be willing to pay additional (if the test is needed) to have it done at the Port City.  We all want to be safe, but we still want convenience when on vacation/holiday.  Pretty simple to me and should be to SS.

• Like 1

Has anyone actually read the CDC website?  It does not specifically state PCR, but rather a Viral Test which can be PCR or Rapid Antigen and even the proctored home test kits.  Here the link dated 2/22/2022  .  https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/cruise-travel-during-covid19.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1