CDC Lowers Cruise Risk to Level 2

A step in the right direction by the CDC. Variants of Covid are going to be around now, just like flu variants. Society has to learn to live and adapt to that inevitability.

Where I live, life has gone back to what it was prior to Covid. And frankly was that way here they Omicron, even with the counts that skyrocketed for a few weeks. 

I hope Omicron was the last step backwards. 🙂

• Like 11

CDC said they would review the current rules for the voluntary cruise protocols no later than March 18,  this coming Friday.  This commitment was in the original published rules from February for the "voluntary" cruise program.  So we'll see if this news is an indication that they will relax some of the requirements in their review of the program.   I doubt they will eliminate the testing requirements but they might loosen them up a little.

3 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

If they stop testing we will be right back we were with high infection rates onboard. This is not the time to let up. Give it 6 months or more.

We never had high infection rates on board other than 1 ship back when the world thought covid was the apocalypse.

If they stop testing now it'll be like every other mild cold people get that isn't tested for to board a ship.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

If they stop testing we will be right back we were with high infection rates onboard. This is not the time to let up. Give it 6 months or more.

How did you come up with this?

Edited by BND
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, ONECRUISER said:

See that happening, before testing ends or both at same time

Maybe at some point, but personally don’t see that anytime soon.  HK and China are among countries that are still dealing with a large number of infections. Until the whole world gets this under control, I don’t see the cruise lines rushing into no restrictions. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

We never had high infection rates on board other than 1 ship back when the world thought covid was the apocalypse.

The Butterfield Effect - "we have low infection rates on board, so why do we need to do all this testing and require vaccinations?"

• Like 1

7 hours ago, George C said:

I would love to see no more test but keep vaccinations requirements 

Exactly. Testing before boarding is an attempt to comfort people who are concerned about travelling with Covid. If cruise lines were really serious about testing it would happen throughout the cruise. 
If I go on a cruise, the highest Covid risk activity I do before boarding is the airport/flight to the port. That will happen in the 24 hours before boarding. If I do catch Covid on the journey, it will be day 2 - 4 of the cruise when I would test positive. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, cindivan said:

Maybe at some point, but personally don’t see that anytime soon.  HK and China are among countries that are still dealing with a large number of infections. Until the whole world gets this under control, I don’t see the cruise lines rushing into no restrictions. 

They're dealing with increasing/high numbers because they had such extreme strict restrictions and they only delayed the inevitable as Omicron is extremely contagious so it's spreading like crazy among a population that had little exposure and low vaccine rates.    HK and China numbers should have no impact on what the CDC or most of the rest of the world does.   

Edited by BND
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, BND said:

They're dealing with increasing/high numbers because they had such extreme strict restrictions and they only delayed the inevitable as Omicron is extremely contagious so it's spreading like crazy among a population that had little exposure and low vaccine rates.    HK and China numbers should have no impact on what the CDC or most of the rest of the world does.   

Guess that theory didn't work to well though when all this Covid started in China 2 years ago. Guess the rest of the world wouldn't have listened to what was going on in China anyway then.

21 minutes ago, BND said:

Think you are missing what the WHO is all about.

Edited by Jimbo

1 hour ago, HappyInVan said:

I like facts. Aussie, China and Kiwi have chosen their own covid management programs. Missed the worst impact of the alpha and delta variants. Giving them time to vax >80% of their populations.

Today, the Aussie and Kiwi have reopened to the world, and cruising will resume. I have no hesitation in cruising with our Aussie and Kiwi friends. 

Guess Princess doesn't feel the same way you do by the amount of cruises they just canceled.

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/plan/impacted-and-cancelled-cruises/cancelled-cruises-diamond-majestic-royal-ruby-spring-2023.pdf

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Guess Princess doesn't feel the same way you do by the amount of cruises they just canceled.

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/plan/impacted-and-cancelled-cruises/cancelled-cruises-diamond-majestic-royal-ruby-spring-2023.pdf

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/27011-p-o-australia-to-resume-cruising-may-31.html

Looks like Princess have been canceling a bunch of cruises...

https://www.princess.com/plan/impacted-and-cancelled-cruises/

Edited by HappyInVan