Celebrity and Matching Boarding Day Shirts

PinkSandGirl

Hi!  So, there have been some recent posts about Lanyard use while cruising.  I personally don't use one, I use wristlets while onboard, but for those that do, no big deal.  They find it convenient and if they prefer to use them, then they should.  Well, after seeing some posts here on Cruise Critic, I find it funny how some people find it almost appalling to use them on Celebrity.  🤣 

That got me thinking.

Not that it matters because I still will, but I'm curious as to what others think of Boarding Day Matching Shirts?   Do those same people who scoff at lanyards think the same of matching shirts?  😅

Ever since my first cruise, we all wear matching shirts the first day.  It has become tradition and there are aspects of the design that have 'secret' meanings and traditions along with new things. 

I started cruising on Royal Caribbean and then moved to Celebrity.   There are definitely less 'groups' with matching shirts on Celebrity.

I have found with each cruise, people love the idea.  Strangers come up and comment, the crew comments.  Some people will say I saw 'one of you' over there.   Some ask questions.   

I do it for us.  Have always done them and always will. 😃  Everyone knows that if you are a part of a cruise I plan, then you are wearing a shirt.  😉

Like I said, the anti-lanyard crowd made me wonder about Our Matching Shirts.  😉

Is there an anti-matching shirt crowd that sails on Celebrity as well? 😉

Do you wear matching shirts?  Do you have a tradition of wearing something special on Boarding Day?

🍹
Edited by PinkSandGirl
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

If it makes you feel better, and providing it doesn't include t shirts with offensive graphics,  then do as you like.  Some might wonder if you had boarded the wrong ship, and were supposed to be on the Disney ship, but whatever. At least the rest of your group will be easy to find in the crowd.

We have never worn matching shirts, other than the time we had to buy sweatshirts at WDW due to a cold snap. On boarding day we wear something practical and suitable for the MDR in case our luggage doesn't arrive before dinner

Seeing matching shirts on a cruise reminds me of our flight to Maui, which was like Noah's ark (two by two). Each couple was in matching shirts, except DH and me. 😃

I don't travel with groups, so I haven't worn a matching shirt on a cruise. I don't really care if you do, but I would resist the order if you organized my trip. Which, of course, you (OP) wouldn't. 😊

Oh, and for your stats: I am pro-lanyard.

25 minutes ago, mom says said:

On boarding day we wear something practical and suitable for the MDR in case our luggage doesn't arrive before dinner

I always pack my first nights dinner ensemble in my carry-on in case that happens.

21 minutes ago, canderson said:

However, one would need to see a sample to offer an opinion on the shirts themselves if it would matter.

I'll have to post some pictures. 

They are tasteful and not obnoxious at all.  

There is a small left chest embroidered palm tree/beach 'logo' I designed. 

The back has where we are going along with a 'mascot' based on where we sail.   The 'mascot' is a new addition added a couple of cruises ago.  A stingray for a sailing that went to Grand Cayman and then a Flamingo for a cruise that went to Bonaire.  It only takes up a small top portion of the back.  

The sleeve has our cruise name we go by.   Cruise names came into existence quite a few years ago and names can't be duplicated and they all start with a "C".  😅    @Stem to Stern Do you remember Tim called me my cruise name whenever I would see him during the cruise? 😉

The color changes each time and complements where we sail if that can be worked in.

Little things that have become tradition and may seem quirky to others but it's our thing.  It's a part of cruising for us. 😉

There is also a logo that gets incorporated into custom made luggage tags everyone gets, all paperwork I give, labels for cruise folders, etc... 

🍹

• Like 3

If you and your traveling companions like having matching shirts go for it.

We rarely travel with a  group and personally wouldn’t wear matching shirts.  But could care less if others do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

I would resist the order if you organized my trip. Which, of course, you (OP) wouldn't. 😊

Oh, and for your stats: I am pro-lanyard.

Nah, you would want to wear one if you were part of my group.  I've had a couple initial resisters over the years but they come around and are glad they did.  😉

We have cruise meetings too.  Everyone always wants to know when the cruise meetings are.   Food, drinks, laughter and cruise information of course.  

I will take note of your pro-lanyard stance for my spreadsheet. 😄

🍹

Not my thing, but I only see a problem when there are suddenly 20-25 people in matching shirts taking over the OVC and other public areas. Honestly, that's annoying without the shirts, but you notice it with them!

I personally haven't seen as many of them on X as on RC. Every RC cruise we took, at least in the Caribbean, seemed to have at least one group in matching shirts. Usually they were just a fun group and we'd say hi and move on!

And, yeah, I'll wear a lanyard onboard on a sea day...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

@PinkSandGirl, Cricut? Silhouette? Sublimation? Enquiring minds want to know.

Well, one enquiring mind, at least. 

Hi!  No, none of the above.  Have businesses of my own along with family who has another business so between the businesses we make everything ourselves with large commercial equipment.  In between all of the large projects, it's nice to make our own smaller custom things that I design.  😉

Thanks for the interest and asking. 😃

🍹

Edited by PinkSandGirl
  • Like 2

That’s my Tim.  Having had the pleasure of meeting you and your small, wonderful’ family on a recent cruise I may be a tad biased, but I say bring on the 👚 shirts, the lanyards, the wristlets, the beads.  They add a bit of fresh fun to the excitement of embarkation day.  And your “cruise names” really had me hooked, so no resistance here if I were ever asked to wear one.  😎

And you really have my jealousy writhing with your mention of “cruise parties.”  Planning really is one of the best parts of all of this.

Oh by the way did I ever mention to you the embarkation ensemble I participated in quite a few years ago for an NCL cruise I took with friends?  The four of us were The Village People for the day.  It was a hoot and set the tone for a fantastic, hilarious week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stem to Stern said:

That’s my Tim.  Having had the pleasure of meeting you and your small, wonderful’ family on a recent cruise I may be a tad biased, but I say bring on the 👚 shirts, the lanyards, the wristlets, the beads.  They add a bit of fresh fun to the excitement of embarkation day.  And your “cruise names” really had me hooked, so no resistance here if I were ever asked to wear one.  😎

And you really have my jealousy writhing with your mention of “cruise parties.”  Planning really is one of the best parts of all of this.

Oh by the way did I ever mention to you the embarkation ensemble I participated in quite a few years ago for an NCL cruise I took with friends?  The four of us were The Village People for the day.  It was a hoot and set the tone for a fantastic, hilarious week.

Aww, such kind words. 🥰

We'll just have to coordinate a cruise together and then you can be a part of the cruise meetings.  😉   Plus, you'd get to pick cruise names and wear one of our custom shirts. 😉   I know,  I love the planning and it really is a part of the whole cruise experience that I love.  😉

That's great.  You dressed as the Village People.  I didn't know that story.   Who were you?  

🍹

6 hours ago, PinkSandGirl said:

Ever since my first cruise, we all wear matching shirts the first day.  It has become tradition and there are aspects of the design that have 'secret' meanings and traditions along with new things. 

i hope you’re bringing a matching shirt for me to wear.😆 Sounds fun. 

• Haha 2

I’ve never worn matching shirts for a cruise (wouldn’t be opposed but I haven’t cruised with a big group). That said - I did order a map dress from Amazon for embarkation day (@generationx you can consider yourself an influencer).

• Like 5

Do you just wear them on boarding day or the entire cruise?  We have many (many) race shirts & do wear them to breakfast,  We’ve done the beads for Sailaway. Not a fan of lanyards

Last cruise we had over 200 hookers sailing onboard that all wore matching t-shirts. 

They took over large areas of the OV cafe at times but where not hindering people at all. 

I also learned that the word 'hooker' was the word given to these ladies who crochet! They were all part of an international crochet club...... :) 

• Haha 4

25 minutes ago, Moby Jones said:

Last cruise we had over 200 hookers sailing onboard that all wore matching t-shirts. 

They took over large areas of the OV cafe at times but where not hindering people at all. 

I also learned that the word 'hooker' was the word given to these ladies who crochet! They were all part of an international crochet club...... 🙂

I thought that you were talking about a rugby club.

12 hours ago, PinkSandGirl said:
Hi!  So, there have been some recent posts about Lanyard use while cruising.  I personally don't use one, I use wristlets while onboard, but for those that do, no big deal.  They find it convenient and if they prefer to use them, then they should.  Well, after seeing some posts here on Cruise Critic, I find it funny how some people find it almost appalling to use them on Celebrity.  🤣 

That got me thinking.

Not that it matters because I still will, but I'm curious as to what others think of Boarding Day Matching Shirts?   Do those same people who scoff at lanyards think the same of matching shirts?  😅

I started cruising on Royal Caribbean and then moved to Celebrity.   There are definitely less 'groups' with matching shirts on Celebrity.

I have found with each cruise, people love the idea.  Strangers come up and comment, the crew comments.  Some people will say I saw 'one of you' over there.   Some ask questions.   

I do it for us.  Have always done them and always will. 😃  Everyone knows that if you are a part of a cruise I plan, then you are wearing a shirt.  😉

Like I said, the anti-lanyard crowd made me wonder about Our Matching Shirts.  😉

Is there an anti-matching shirt crowd that sails on Celebrity as well? 😉

Do you wear matching shirts?  Do you have a tradition of wearing something special on Boarding Day?

🍹

We always travel with groups of friends and have only thought about 'matching garments' once and it was only for two (2) minutes... because we believed that it was not necessary to broadcast that we were in a group... we know who each other are and could easily find each other...

As for lanyards or other methods to keep track of my sea pass, usually after day two (2) I do not need it as I have 'bribed' enough crew so they know already what I want and at times only ask for my cabin number... LOL

For those who need or desire this, I say go for it...

bon voyage

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

other methods to keep track of my sea pass

I am certain I have lost a sea pass in the solarium pool every single cruise I have ever been on.  Why my sea pass always ends up in an unsecured pocket in my trunks is beyond me.

• Haha 2

I thought this thread was going to be about twinkies. I'm always amused by the matching couples, especially when even the shoes and socks match. Really? I'm kind of in to the individual thing. 

Just now, ORV said:

I thought this thread was going to be about twinkies. I'm always amused by the matching couples, especially when even the shoes and socks match. Really? I'm kind of in to the individual thing. 

To each their own