Cruise Compass

I don’t know how everyone else feels about the cruise compass but I am not happy about them going away and be replaced with a phone app. I think for the people who wants them they should have a choice, put them by customer service, revamp them so one cruise compass covers the whole cruise. All of the bars, pools, dining and other items that don’t change can be given the one time.

I THINK IF YOU WANT IT TO STAY we should ALL make a comment on any survey you get to bring it back. Maybe the only way Royal will listen.  Let’s STOP the elimination of the cruise Compass.

Edited by britty1
  • Like 2

I used both on my post-Covid cruises.  The Cruise Compass is a nice souvenir.  I'm a person who is already used to getting news, work schedules, airline tickets, ... on my tablet and cell phone.  It is so much more convenient to look for events on the app.  I only really "read" the Cruise Compass after dinner while relaxing before the evening's entertainment.  After that (short 15 minute) time, I put it in the drawer with all the other paper clutter.  That clutter ended up in the cruise paperwork packet in my suitcase on the last evening.  It's still in the packet stacked with my other cruise items.  I imagine it will be there yet when it's someone else's responsibility to clean out my house and dispose of my "treasures".

No, I don't regret the passing of the Compass.  Let them dedicate the resources to improving the information presentation in the App.

One question about the new digital Compass - does it allow you to hilight or otherwise somehow 'earmark' a certain event?  That was one part I loved about the paper cruise compass - I would always hilight the events I wanted to attend, that helped me to not forget about them!

10 minutes ago, texasweather said:

One question about the new digital Compass - does it allow you to hilight or otherwise somehow 'earmark' a certain event?  That was one part I loved about the paper cruise compass - I would always hilight the events I wanted to attend, that helped me to not forget about them!

You just copy what you are interested in into your personal calendar.  

Charge $1 for the paper copy, see demand dry up.

• Haha 1

Cruise lines seem to have plenty of money to dump tons of paper advertising and fliers on the cabin desk every evening. The last cruise I was on I probably had half an inch of paper advertisements and coupons by the last day. But when it comes to something useful to us cruisers--like Cruise Compass--they suddenly become environmental crusaders with no money available for printing.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, texasweather said:

No.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MightyMike said:

The last cruise I was on I probably had half an inch of paper advertisements and coupons by the last day.

Weirdly enough, they seem to have disappeared on the current sailing of Anthem. 

2 hours ago, texasweather said:

Yes it does. You simply click the “add to calendar “  button when you find something of interest. The app will add it to your calendar (“My Calendar”) within the app and you will get a notification from the app before the event begins. For events that require a reservation it works in a similar fashion. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Weirdly enough, they seem to have disappeared on the current sailing of Anthem. 

We asked room steward on day 2 for paper copy and have received every night.

One thing for sure is more and more people now walking around with phones and stopping in hallways, standing in middle of isles, etc while they play on their phones.

Just like going to a mall or a busy city streets with oblivious people.

• Like 1

I pretty much had to beg for one on Odyssey this month.  The cabin steward when asked will bring one nightly but couldn’t guarantee it.  The first day and second day I had to get one from guest services after standing in line.  

I too like to leave my phone in the safe and not carry it.  Then I have to take a small purse as I rarely have pockets.  I don’t want to carry a purse either.  A lanyard is as much as I want to keep with me ( and only during the day.). The app isn’t always up to date either.  My UDP restaurants did not update when I changed reservations even when I updated the app.  

I understand not wanting to give them out to everyone but we should be able to ask for them and get them.  In ports of call it includes important port information too.  They still hand out shopping maps.  Put them out at guest services like they used to be.  If you want one get one, it not don’t.  They print plenty of other paper I promptly throw in the trash.  

My room steward left one for us each night after I asked.  I asked at guest services why they didn't have paper copies available next to guest services and they said to add it to the survey.  I did. I found it humorous that the CD was talking about relaxing and putting our phones away while we cruise when the cruise line is the one making us have our phones out now.