Sharing a table in the dining room

esther e

Covid has forced odd rules many seemed to make sense early on...but as it dragged on and we learned more about it..many procedures remained in place... glad OP found a way around this.  We cruised in Dec '21..just before Omicron became an issue... what I missed..to be honest.. was being in a more crowded ship where people were forced to join you..as room in the bar filled up. With a ship less than half full each couple had their own 5 person seating area... and it was harder to meet people...

29 minutes ago, kearney said:

Covid has forced odd rules many seemed to make sense early on...but as it dragged on and we learned more about it..many procedures remained in place... glad OP found a way around this.  We cruised in Dec '21..just before Omicron became an issue... what I missed..to be honest.. was being in a more crowded ship where people were forced to join you..as room in the bar filled up. With a ship less than half full each couple had their own 5 person seating area... and it was harder to meet people...

You liked sitting with folks who were forced to join your table?

• Haha 1

I guess we’re the odd ones. We always ask for a table of two unless we’re cruising with friends. Have had enough of sitting at a table with strangers. When I took my first cruise in 1986 there was no such thing as a buffet (other than the infamous midnight buffet) or room service. One ate all three meals in the MDR at a set time and the doors closed fifteen minutes after the start. Our table was a table for eight. It was miserable. We had two nosey ladies who stayed in everyone else’s business the entire cruise. This first cruise and a few other cruises after that ruined the group setting for dining.

I was so happy when things changed. I still detest having a table for two and the tables next to you are inches away. Too close for private conversation and we have had enough of the religion, politics and what’s your level on this cruise line topics/questions. Glad to see that cruising has evolved to give all of us more choices.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, drakes2 said:

@Bo1953if we ever meet on a cruise and I sincerely hope we do, you are most welcome to share an entire bottle with me. Next up is 11 nights to Hawaii on Eclipse. 

... likewise, as I do bring a few aboard myself.

Cheers and bon voyage

Just now, Bo1953 said:

... likewise, as I do bring a few aboard myself.

Cheers and bon voyage

Oh Bo, Bo, please do tell me that you do not ever exceed the two bottle carry on board limit!!!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, LGW59 said:

Oh Bo, Bo, please do tell me that you do not ever exceed the two bottle carry on board limit!!!

l - I can attest that I do not 'on my person' carry on more than two (2) bottles!!! LOL

I try to bring a few vintages that have been waiting to be opened and nothing like doing it on a cruise...

Cheers and bon voyage

9 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

l - I can attest that I do not 'on my person' carry on more than two (2) bottles!!! LOL

I try to bring a few vintages that have been waiting to be opened and nothing like doing it on a cruise...

Cheers and bon voyage

As long as you wrap them securely in your Luminae and MDR dress shorts, you should be good.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, LGW59 said:

You liked sitting with folks who were forced to join your table?

I probably didn't phrase that properly... but when sitting in, say, the Passport Bar where the seating groupings are usually for 4-5... people tend to go to empty seating areas.. and spread out until all the seating is taken and then they fill in at the remaining seats.  Have you ever been in an elevator where people naturally spread out.. I don't think I have ever seen everyone crowd onto on side of the elevator ... same is true in the bar areas... people don't all sit together leaving half the place empty..unless they know one another. I wasn't referring to dinning room. So when the ship is full it is actually easier to meet people as they take those open seats...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisingator2 said:

I guess we’re the odd ones. We always ask for a table of two unless we’re cruising with friends. Have had enough of sitting at a table with strangers. When I took my first cruise in 1986 there was no such thing as a buffet (other than the infamous midnight buffet) or room service. One ate all three meals in the MDR at a set time and the doors closed fifteen minutes after the start. Our table was a table for eight. It was miserable. We had two nosey ladies who stayed in everyone else’s business the entire cruise. This first cruise and a few other cruises after that ruined the group setting for dining.

I was so happy when things changed. I still detest having a table for two and the tables next to you are inches away. Too close for private conversation and we have had enough of the religion, politics and what’s your level on this cruise line topics/questions. Glad to see that cruising has evolved to give all of us more choices.  

You are not alone, I’m with you. The last time I ate at a big table with strangers we had one couple who spent the entire dinner complaining about everything, another young couple on their honeymoon who had no interest in talking to the rest of us, and a couple who spoke no English. For me that was the end of eating with strangers.

I’m happy things have changed and we have the option to eat by ourselves if we want to. 

• Like 1

I am so sorry this is such an issue for you and hope it will be resolved immediately.

If you are seated at a table for one, I can't imagine it is very far from another table with any number of guests.  My husband and I always request a table for two and are always just fingers away from another.  If we feel comfortable chatting with "neighbors", go for it.  If not, since not actually sitting at their table, it doesn't seem required to chat.  Sometimes I prefer to not have forced conversation, other times I need a new face to talk to.  😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roupa said:

I am so sorry this is such an issue for you and hope it will be resolved immediately.

If you are seated at a table for one, I can't imagine it is very far from another table with any number of guests.  My husband and I always request a table for two and are always just fingers away from another.  If we feel comfortable chatting with "neighbors", go for it.  If not, since not actually sitting at their table, it doesn't seem required to chat.  Sometimes I prefer to not have forced conversation, other times I need a new face to talk to.  😉

That’s nice of you to say, but how is a “neighbor” supposed to know that you want to talk?

2 hours ago, roupa said:

The OP long ago posted her problem was solved and is now eating with other solos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just to let you know I ended up at a table of seven people. We all kind of just found one another and I have never been with such interesting and delightful people. What a pleasure. And I’m not the only one that feels that way. We all discussed it tonight and feel very blessed to have found one another

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Be careful what you wish for...I shared a table with 10 ladies in November...and one tested positive later that night...and the rest of us were then put into isolation for 7 days. I will always eat alone now until this covid has completely gone

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, visage said:

Be careful what you wish for...I shared a table with 10 ladies in November...and one tested positive later that night...and the rest of us were then put into isolation for 7 days. I will always eat alone now until this covid has completely gone

Isolation for 7 days?  Did you all test positive too?

4 hours ago, visage said:

Which cruise line did that?

12 hours ago, Oville said:

Even less, her problem was solved 12 hrs ago.  Your point?

You’re all in a lather because people are commenting on something from 12 hours ago?  Be glad it’s not 12 years ago.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/29/2022 at 6:53 PM, roupa said:

Like Roupa, my husband and I choose a table for two all the time.  We are always seated next to other tables for two and have struck up lovely conversations with those on either side.  A simple "Good evening" helps you gauge whether or not that table might be up for chats.  On one trip, a line of five tables for two were all friendly enough to say hello every time we went into the dining room. 

At the same time, if we simply wanted to speak to each other, no one takes offense as might happen at a big table. 

Finally, we never choose dinner for private conversations just as we would not when at a dinner party/family dinner.  We steer clear of politics and religion unless compatible.  We like to enjoy and digest our dinner. 😉

• Like 1

On 3/31/2022 at 11:18 AM, mimbecky said:

WOW I am hoping with the CDC announcement, this changes soon.  We always enjoy sitting at a 6-8 top table and meeting new people and will be cruising in May.

M

Me, too, although I cruise in 2 weeks, so I'm guessing I'll be on my own. I have had great experiences being seated with other folks at traditional dining and getting to know them over the course of the cruise. Yes, I've had a few clunkers, but one trip to the maitre d' and my table was changed to one far more compatible! 

Maybe I'll luck out and run into some fun people to hang with. Otherwise, I always have a stack of books to occupy myself!